Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > the color gamut of dcam sensors

the color gamut of dcam sensors

rarewolf

I have been scanning film for 15 years, and I am now considering buying
a quality digital camera (short of paying for a professional 35mm
equivalent sensor, possibly a '4/3' CCD) ... and I am a bit dismayed at
any of the reviewing websites testing the cameras' color capabilities
.... i.e., their color gamut. I truly wonder if many of these cameras
are more worthy than sRGB(?)

Is anyone familiar with reviews taken to this level. Are any of the
reviewing websites allowing for downloading their test image RAW files?
tia & cheerios ... )

Bill Hilton

>From: "rarewolf" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>I have been scanning film for 15 years, and I am now considering buying
>a quality digital camera ... I truly wonder if many of these cameras
>are more worthy than sRGB(?)

Yes, the better dSLRs have wider gamuts than sRGB, even AdobeRGB ... I have a
program that lets me plot the actual gamut of images (ColorThink from Chromix)
and you definitely can capture a wider gamut than AdobeRGB, much less sRGB.

The Photoshop CS RAW converter has one wide gamut space you can convert to
(ProPhoto RGB) in addition to the three standard ones, and Capture One lets you
assign a wide gamut color space as well (anything you have available, including
ProPhoto or Ektaspace (the wide gamut space that mimics the gamut of saturated
E-6 slide films).

rarewolf

Bill writes ...

> Yes, the better dSLRs have wider gamuts than sRGB, even AdobeRGB ...

That is some relief, but how do I evaluate the color capabilities of
the "better dSLRs" prior to purchase (keep in mind I live in
Newfoundland ...<g>...)

tia )