Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Jessops sale - pathetic.

Jessops sale - pathetic.

Gavin

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 10:14:01 -0000, "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tony wrote:
>> "Paul Walton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:18iffbetq8kb8$.19ff733gxs5f$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:28:51 +0000, Robert wrote:

>>> I've just tried a price match with Jessops on an Ixus 500. Again it
>>> was about 25 over the price I gave them from the web.

>> I've bought many things over the Internet including my computer, but
>> in the case of a camera I was worried in case it had a fault that was
>> not very straightforward. So, just before Christmas, I paid 30 over
>> the cheapest web price for a camera at Jessop's - with considerable
>> misgivings as to whether it was a sensible thing to do.
>>
>> Yesterday I returned it for a credit note because I didn't like the
>> image quality. Anyone done that with an Internet sale? I was able
>> to show by comparative printouts with pics from another camera that
>> it was not all that good, but it would have been hard to prove that
>> it was definitely a faulty product.

>I also returned a Minolta A2 for similar reasons. I actually got my money
>back, but later we bought a Panasonic FZ20 and Nikon 8400 from them
>because of their helpful advice and good assistance in-store. And they
>still matched Internet prices...
>
>Long live Jessops!

I've just bought a Minolta A200 from them, 499 on the shelf, and they
said they'ed do it for 429 (Bristol camera's.co.uk are doing it for
410 plus 10 delivery). They would not quite pricematch it as they
said it was below cost price (I doubt that but..) They did offer me a
1gb jessops card for 60, but as they could not tell me what the card
speed was I declined. I can get a 80x lexar for that. Interestingly
they only had jessops cards in stock, so they cannot be pricematched
on them..

Been snapping this afternoon, I'll take a look at the images later but
I don't want to open the software packs until I know I want to keep it
(and it's not available for download from Minolta yet). I've 30 days
to decide either way.

One bugbear so far is it's only usb 1 not great on a 8MP camera,
but as I intend to use a usb2 photostore (Archos Gmini 220) anyway
it's not a huge issue.

Steven Campbell

> Been snapping this afternoon, I'll take a look at the images later but
> I don't want to open the software packs until I know I want to keep it
> (and it's not available for download from Minolta yet). I've 30 days
> to decide either way.
>
> One bugbear so far is it's only usb 1 not great on a 8MP camera,
> but as I intend to use a usb2 photostore (Archos Gmini 220) anyway
> it's not a huge issue.

Will a card reader not do away with this problem?

Gavin

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 20:08:10 -0000, "Steven Campbell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Been snapping this afternoon, I'll take a look at the images later but
>> I don't want to open the software packs until I know I want to keep it
>> (and it's not available for download from Minolta yet). I've 30 days
>> to decide either way.
>>
>> One bugbear so far is it's only usb 1 not great on a 8MP camera,
>> but as I intend to use a usb2 photostore (Archos Gmini 220) anyway
>> it's not a huge issue.

>Will a card reader not do away with this problem?

It will, but on a camera thats 8MP, and images can be up to 15MB in
raw mode it's a bit of a cheek not uncluding it.

The similar A2 uses usb2, they've just been cheap with this.

That said it's got really slow autofocus in lower light conditions,
and by that I mean in the house with the lights on, taking 2 seconds
or so to hunt and decide what to focus on, will try ourside in
daylight later but so far I;m not too impressed.

I have a Epson PhotoPC3000Z and to say thats a 3.3 MP camera, the
images from the A200 are not fantastically better, I admit I've not
fully read the manual, (cos it's only as a pdf so a pain to read) ut
so fat it's looking like it's going back. Reading reviews I knew it
could be a problem as it has no focus asist light but it takes longer
to focus than the 4 year old epson...

JESSOPS UK tbm Digital Photography 2 01-26-2005 11:46 AM
JESSOPS GLASGOW UK tbm Digital Photography 5 01-25-2005 10:32 PM
Jessops Printing Facilty Edward Holt Digital Photography 1 07-21-2004 07:16 PM
Jessops - you may wish to know Freddie Cooke Digital Photography 3 06-28-2004 06:58 PM
Jessops Dark Prints Chris Digital Photography 1 10-16-2003 09:38 PM

Advertisments