Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Help me spend $400 or so...

Help me spend $400 or so...

pingpongsalon

I work as a reporter/photographer for a small newspaper published twice
weekly with a circulation of about 10K in the "tourist season" and
about 7K in the "off season".
A lot of work is advertorial. I did grab some photos last year of a
shoving match that broke out at a town board meeting. I cover a lot of
HS sports too.
I use an old camera. A Fuji FinePix 1400. This is a 1.3 mp camera with
a 3x zoom.
My employer has offered to pay up to 75% of the cost of a new camera,
their contribution not to exceed $300. After one year's time if I have
not resigned or been terminated over rules violations, the camera is
mine to keep.
My biggest gripe, I need a flash with some power! I like the wide angle
feature of the Fuji E510, but fear it has a wimpy flash. I rarely need
super long telephoto shots. I'd rather have some control over the
camera.
The offer expires 12/31/04. I'm hoping to pick-up a post Christmas
discount. Any and all input appreciated! Thanks.

Paul Rubin

"pingpongsalon" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> My biggest gripe, I need a flash with some power! I like the wide angle
> feature of the Fuji E510, but fear it has a wimpy flash. I rarely need
> super long telephoto shots. I'd rather have some control over the
> camera.

You need an external flash. There is no such thing as a digicam whose
built-in flash is powerful enough to do anything serious. Once you've
accepted that you need an external flash, you have lots more
flexibility in choosing your camera.

Gene Palmiter

I do much the same work as you. I have been happy for years with my Oly
E-10. It has one of the most powerful flashes of all the built-ins. It is by
no means a pocket camera. But for the price you can't get more flexibility.
The price...you might be able to meet your limit with a used one or a
refurbed. It's 4 meg image is just right for this sort of work.

"pingpongsalon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I work as a reporter/photographer for a small newspaper published twice
> weekly with a circulation of about 10K in the "tourist season" and
> about 7K in the "off season".
> A lot of work is advertorial. I did grab some photos last year of a
> shoving match that broke out at a town board meeting. I cover a lot of
> HS sports too.
> I use an old camera. A Fuji FinePix 1400. This is a 1.3 mp camera with
> a 3x zoom.
> My employer has offered to pay up to 75% of the cost of a new camera,
> their contribution not to exceed $300. After one year's time if I have
> not resigned or been terminated over rules violations, the camera is
> mine to keep.
> My biggest gripe, I need a flash with some power! I like the wide angle
> feature of the Fuji E510, but fear it has a wimpy flash. I rarely need
> super long telephoto shots. I'd rather have some control over the
> camera.
> The offer expires 12/31/04. I'm hoping to pick-up a post Christmas
> discount. Any and all input appreciated! Thanks.

Lisa Horton

pingpongsalon wrote:

> I work as a reporter/photographer for a small newspaper published twice
> weekly with a circulation of about 10K in the "tourist season" and
> about 7K in the "off season".
> A lot of work is advertorial. I did grab some photos last year of a
> shoving match that broke out at a town board meeting. I cover a lot of
> HS sports too.
> I use an old camera. A Fuji FinePix 1400. This is a 1.3 mp camera with
> a 3x zoom.
> My employer has offered to pay up to 75% of the cost of a new camera,
> their contribution not to exceed $300. After one year's time if I have
> not resigned or been terminated over rules violations, the camera is
> mine to keep.
> My biggest gripe, I need a flash with some power! I like the wide angle
> feature of the Fuji E510, but fear it has a wimpy flash. I rarely need
> super long telephoto shots. I'd rather have some control over the
> camera.
> The offer expires 12/31/04. I'm hoping to pick-up a post Christmas
> discount. Any and all input appreciated! Thanks.

Apart from the powerful flash, the Canon S1 IS might fit the bill
nicely.

Lisa