Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Looking for paper recommendations

Looking for paper recommendations

Dustbunny

I just bought an Epson R800 photo printer, and would appreciate any
advice on matte or luster papers that work well with it. (I'm just not
a big fan of glossy, which is all I see around here.)

Please reply here, email addy is for the spammers)

Thnx

Don Lathrop

Dustbunny wrote:

>I just bought an Epson R800 photo printer,
> and would appreciate any advice on matte
> or luster papers that work well with it.

I'd stick with Epson myself. I've had good luck
with Epson paper on my Epson printers, and
bad luck with Kodak and HP.

> (I'm just not a big fan of glossy, which is all
> I see around here.)

I prefer glossy. I think you get a better image,
but to each her own.

Gene Palmiter

The Epson site has a search tool to help you out. I like the Velvet fine
arts paper. YMMV
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/p...seBVCookie=yes

"Dustbunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just bought an Epson R800 photo printer, and would appreciate any
> advice on matte or luster papers that work well with it. (I'm just not
> a big fan of glossy, which is all I see around here.)
>
> Please reply here, email addy is for the spammers)
>
> Thnx

Casey dot Hancock

Dustbunny wrote:
> I just bought an Epson R800 photo printer, and would appreciate any
> advice on matte or luster papers that work well with it. (I'm just

not
> a big fan of glossy, which is all I see around here.)
>
> Please reply here, email addy is for the spammers)
>
> Thnx

I've had bad luck with IBM glossy on my Epson C82--I think you use
different inks in the R800. The magenta ink can rub off within the
first few minutes of printing. The IBM paper also has an orange peel
look to it, like a less than great paint job on an automobile. Just
letting you know.

Mike G.

I suggest you consider trying some of the papers from Red River. They
get very good reviews from many users in various newsgroups. The
consensus sems to be 'very good quality at a reasonable price'.

http://www.redriverpaper.com/

They have a number of papers which are specifically formulated for
pigment inks, like Epson's UltraChrome system, they sell a sampler pack
of a number of different finishes for like $8, plus shipping, so you can
try a bunch of them for a reasonable price, and they provide free
downloads of high quality .icm profiles for each paper, specifically
generated for a large selection of printers, including the R800.

I've also seen good reviews on Ilford's Galerie series of papers.

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_englis...ault_prods.htm

They also provide profiles, including for the R800, but I'm not aware
that they make it so easy as Red River to try a sampling of their products.

Dustbunny wrote:
> I just bought an Epson R800 photo printer, and would appreciate any
> advice on matte or luster papers that work well with it. (I'm just not
> a big fan of glossy, which is all I see around here.)
>
> Please reply here, email addy is for the spammers)
>
> Thnx

Clyde

Mike G. wrote:
<snip>

> I've also seen good reviews on Ilford's Galerie series of papers.
>
> http://www.ilford.com/html/us_englis...ault_prods.htm
>
> They also provide profiles, including for the R800, but I'm not aware
> that they make it so easy as Red River to try a sampling of their products.
>

> Dustbunny wrote:
>
>> I just bought an Epson R800 photo printer, and would appreciate any
>> advice on matte or luster papers that work well with it. (I'm just not
>> a big fan of glossy, which is all I see around here.)
>>
>> Please reply here, email addy is for the spammers)
>>
>> Thnx

I will go farther than that on Ilford papers. They are about all I use
on my R800. Well, in the quality stuff. Ilford's ICC profiles are spot
on for me. The quality is tops and the price is pretty good too.

OK, I really like Galerie Glossy Lite. This really is a semi-gloss that
is close to the gloss. The lite is only a tad less heavy in paper
weight, but costs a fair bit less. I buy mine here:
http://www.inkjetart.com/photo_paper...oth_gloss.html

BTW, watch what kind of paper you buy for glossiness. This paper is a
semi-gloss and Ilford recommends that paper setting. However, that
setting automatically selects Gloss Optimizer be used. Naturally, that
will make your final print full glossy.

You can turn off the "Gloss", but it doesn't look as good to me. Of
course, Epson Ultrachrome looks pretty glossy on this paper, even
without the Gloss Optimizer. The Gloss Optimizer smooths out the
glossiness of the prints. It also helps cover up any 'bronzing' effects
that you may get. This printer doesn't bronze nearly as much as most,
but the GO does pretty much eliminate it.

I don't use it nearly as much, but the Ilford Smooth Heavyweight Matte
is also a super paper. The driver doesn't use GO on this paper. I don't
use matte because most of my customers (wedding) don't think a picture
is 'photo' unless it's glossy. When they see matte they think "just
inkjet". When it's glossy, they think "professional photo". Go figure.

Clyde

Kwiter

Kwe Kwe Hello, I usually bought Epson Glossy Paper at CostCo, CHEAP and
good quality, $19.95 per 120 sheets. It seems they only carry
Kodak(Hate it!) and their own house brand Kirkland. I just tried the
Kirkland and was suitably impressed, can't comment on lightfastness yet
but the images it produces are STUNNING, super glossy paper. $18.99 per
125 sheets

I just finished printing up 35 Calanders for the family with it. I LIKE
IT! I also liked Konica Paper when I used it

Kwiter

Kwe Kwe Hello, I usually bought Epson Glossy Paper at CostCo, CHEAP and
good quality, $19.95 per 120 sheets. It seems they only carry
Kodak(Hate it!) and their own house brand Kirkland. I just tried the
Kirkland and was suitably impressed, can't comment on lightfastness yet
but the images it produces are STUNNING, super glossy paper. $18.99 per
125 sheets

I just finished printing up 35 Calanders for the family with it. I LIKE
IT! I also liked Konica Paper when I used it

I have 3 Epson Printers, an ANCIENT 670, a 785EPX Photo printer and I
just picked up a All in one CX4600

Dustbunny

Thanks for all the good info everyone.