Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Image Sizing/Scaling - Photshop CS

Image Sizing/Scaling - Photshop CS

BobS

I'm certainly no guru when it comes to using Photoshop and I've purchased
several books on how to use it - and I've been studying. But none of the
books or the PS Help files appear to address this basic dilemma.

Using the highest quality settings on my camera for jpg, I get a file size
of about 2.5Mb to 3Mb on average. When in PS and I check the image size it
says its approx 27"x42" for the screen (72dpi) and that's all fine. I
convert to .psd, do all my editing, flatten and then resize the final image
for printing.

But when I do resize, there does not appear to be a way to get a true 8x10
when it's constrained so you keep the proportions. Now if it was a picture
where I didn't mind if I loose ~15/16's of an inch off the top and bottom so
it fits an 8x10 picture frame, then the 8"x11.878" setting is fine.... But,
when you have placed a vignette around the image and need a full-bleed image
because it's going to be inserted into an all-glass crystal, molded picture
frame where the edges are visible - it's a real pain in the arse to get
there from here.

Anyone have any tricks of the trade for scaling, resizing an image down to a
true 8"x10" size? I would think that Photoshop would have a preset/default
setting that I could use that would keep the proportions of the picture and
allow one to scale/resize it down to the exact size needed. As I recall,
Corel's PhotoPaint 7 did have that feature and if it's in PS, I have yet to
find it.

I did use the Resize Wizard also - no help. What I'm doing now is doing my
edits then use the cropping tool (and using the rulers) to crop the image to
8x10". After that, I then apply the oval shaped vignette, any touch-up
(sharpening, etc.) then flattening and saving the file for printing.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Bob S.

nospam

In article <wFIyd.89896$(E-Mail Removed)>, BobS
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm certainly no guru when it comes to using Photoshop and I've purchased
> several books on how to use it - and I've been studying. But none of the
> books or the PS Help files appear to address this basic dilemma.

it's there.

> Using the highest quality settings on my camera for jpg, I get a file size
> of about 2.5Mb to 3Mb on average. When in PS and I check the image size it
> says its approx 27"x42" for the screen (72dpi) and that's all fine. I
> convert to .psd, do all my editing, flatten and then resize the final image
> for printing.
>
> But when I do resize, there does not appear to be a way to get a true 8x10
> when it's constrained so you keep the proportions.

you say your image is approximately 27x42, which is a 1:1.55 aspect
ratio. i'll assume it is really 1:1.5, or 2:3 - a common ratio. this is
a different aspect ratio than 8x10, which is 1:1.25. thus, you need to
crop.

> Anyone have any tricks of the trade for scaling, resizing an image down to a
> true 8"x10" size?

pick the selection tool, give it fixed aspect ratio of 8x10 (or 10 x 8
if it is landscape) and make your selection for cropping. then pick
image/crop. you now have an 8x10 (or 10x aspect ratio image.

next, go to image/image size... and make sure constrain proportions is
checked, and resample is *not* checked. then in the document size
section, enter in 8x10 inches (or whatever size print you want).
depending on the printer, it might need to be slightly bigger.

> I would think that Photoshop would have a preset/default
> setting that I could use that would keep the proportions of the picture and
> allow one to scale/resize it down to the exact size needed.

the aspect ratio changes, therefore something must be cropped out.
photoshop doesn't know what you want to keep and what you want to
discard, so there can't be a default.

> As I recall,
> Corel's PhotoPaint 7 did have that feature and if it's in PS, I have yet to
> find it.

how did it know what parts were important? or did it just assume the
middle and hope that was ok?

BobS

Nospam,

Thanks for your comments and explanations. As for CorelPaint, it may have
been CorelDraw (vector drawing program) that would resize.

Happy Holidays to you and yours,

Bob S.

Gadgets

Or a quicker option that resamples the image, just set dimensions and say
300dpi in the crop settings.

Besides the marquee method, an image size (resample off) to get one of the
8x10 dimensions, plus a canvas size to chop down the other... less control
of positioning for the chop though.

Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
PC-Video-Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com
MS Wireless Intellimouse $89