Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Question about Photo printers

Question about Photo printers

John

Please I ask only those who have a college degree in a field relevent to this
question or professional photographers answer. Sorry I have to be so strict,
but I need advice from people who know what they are talking about. But if
you
know what your talking about and do not have a degree go ahead and answer, but
cite your sources, thanks...

Question
Will a home photo printer produce the same long term results as the 1 hour
photo lab? When I mean long term, I mean a photo lasting a number of years
without fade. My family purchased a cute little photo printer to go with our
Sony digital camera that is 5-6MP MP I believe. The pictures look just as
good
as a 35mm, but I wonder if they will last 5-10 years. On the other hand I can
go to a photo lab and insert a Memory Stick, pro, SD, mini SD, XD, San Disk,
CD/DVD, CF, or a floppy disk into one of the machines an receive goodprints
within the hour. Dont tell me that the little photo printing machine that we
have is as quality as the 1 hour photo labs. Because they both look the same,
there has to be a huge price difference between the home machine and the
professional machines.

I've attempted to persuade my family not to completely dump their 35mm cameras
and the idea of biringing their camera into a photo lab to have the pictures
printed, but they do not listen. I personally own a Vivitar camera that uses
SD cards and the 1 hour lab produces good results. But their photo machine
only takes memory stick, bummer!!

Thanks,

John

Bill Crocker

Since when is a college degree a guarantee of intelligence, and integrity?
Some of the most corrupt people in the world have college degrees! Some
without even a high school diploma, could put them to shame. You crack me
up!

Bill Crocker

news:1103778751.21a76ff06dd924f861a91fa012be5ac4@t eranews...
> Please I ask only those who have a college degree in a field relevent to
> this
> question or professional photographers answer. Sorry I have to be so
> strict,
> but I need advice from people who know what they are talking about. But
> if
> you
> know what your talking about and do not have a degree go ahead and answer,
> but
> cite your sources, thanks...
>
> Question
> Will a home photo printer produce the same long term results as the 1 hour
> photo lab? When I mean long term, I mean a photo lasting a number of
> years
> without fade. My family purchased a cute little photo printer to go with
> our
> Sony digital camera that is 5-6MP MP I believe. The pictures look just as
> good
> as a 35mm, but I wonder if they will last 5-10 years. On the other hand I
> can
> go to a photo lab and insert a Memory Stick, pro, SD, mini SD, XD, San
> Disk,
> CD/DVD, CF, or a floppy disk into one of the machines an receive
> goodprints
> within the hour. Dont tell me that the little photo printing machine that
> we
> have is as quality as the 1 hour photo labs. Because they both look the
> same,
> there has to be a huge price difference between the home machine and the
> professional machines.
>
> I've attempted to persuade my family not to completely dump their 35mm
> cameras
> and the idea of biringing their camera into a photo lab to have the
> pictures
> printed, but they do not listen. I personally own a Vivitar camera that
> uses
> SD cards and the 1 hour lab produces good results. But their photo
> machine
> only takes memory stick, bummer!!
>

> Thanks,
>

> John

Gene Palmiter

"Bill Crocker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since when is a college degree a guarantee of intelligence, and integrity?
> Some of the most corrupt people in the world have college degrees! Some
> without even a high school diploma, could put them to shame. You crack me
> up!
>
> Bill Crocker

right...and like you need a degree to answer such an elementary question. He
was so insulting that I won't answer it...let him Google!

Ken Weitzel

Bill Crocker wrote:

> Since when is a college degree a guarantee of intelligence, and integrity?
> Some of the most corrupt people in the world have college degrees! Some
> without even a high school diploma, could put them to shame. You crack me
> up!
>
> Bill Crocker

Bill, I don't think any of us should answer his
question, whether we meet his qualifications or not.

He clearly doesn't hold a doctorate in English, nor
a degree in journalism. He didn't even cite any sources
for requiring an answer.

Therefore, he's not qualified to ask.

Ken

usenet@imagenoir.com

Kibo informs me that John <(E-Mail Removed)> stated that:

>Please I ask only those who have a college degree in a field relevent to this
>question or professional photographers answer. Sorry I have to be so strict,
>but I need advice from people who know what they are talking about. But if
>you
>know what your talking about and do not have a degree go ahead and answer, but
>cite your sources, thanks...

*snort* On Usenet? - Good luck!

>Question
>Will a home photo printer produce the same long term results as the 1 hour
>photo lab? When I mean long term, I mean a photo lasting a number of years
>without fade. My family purchased a cute little photo printer to go with our
>Sony digital camera that is 5-6MP MP I believe. The pictures look just as
>good
>as a 35mm, but I wonder if they will last 5-10 years.

The short answer is 'no'. The dye+paper used in most inkjets has a short
lifespan, even when protected from light & the atmosphere. If you want
your prints to last more than a year or two, you need to print via
conventional photo paper (ie; a pro lab), or at least use a high end
pigment-based inkjet.

> On the other hand I can
>go to a photo lab and insert a Memory Stick, pro, SD, mini SD, XD, San Disk,
>CD/DVD, CF, or a floppy disk into one of the machines an receive goodprints
>within the hour. Dont tell me that the little photo printing machine that we
>have is as quality as the 1 hour photo labs. Because they both look the same,
>there has to be a huge price difference between the home machine and the
>professional machines.

Most likely, yes.
I could be wrong about this, but I suspect that most photo kiosks use
dye-sub printers, rather than conventional (wet process) printing on
true photographic paper, like 1 hour labs. Both of these technologies
are different from home inkjets, BTW.

>I've attempted to persuade my family not to completely dump their 35mm cameras
>and the idea of biringing their camera into a photo lab to have the pictures
>printed, but they do not listen. I personally own a Vivitar camera that uses
>SD cards and the 1 hour lab produces good results. But their photo machine
>only takes memory stick, bummer!!

That's pretty shortsighted of them. My local service station recently
aquired a photo kiosk, & it takes CDROMs as well as a wide variety of
memory cards. I find it extremely convenient (& cheap!) for traditional
sized photos to give to relatives & friends. I was also very pleasantly
surprised to find that the output quality is excellent for the price, &
the machine doesn't screw around with the colour or tonal balance of my
images.

adm

news:1103778751.21a76ff06dd924f861a91fa012be5ac4@t eranews...
> Please I ask only those who have a college degree in a field relevent to
> this
> question or professional photographers answer. Sorry I have to be so
> strict,
> but I need advice from people who know what they are talking about. But
> if
> you
> know what your talking about and do not have a degree go ahead and answer,
> but
> cite your sources, thanks...
>
> Question
> Will a home photo printer produce the same long term results as the 1 hour
> photo lab? When I mean long term, I mean a photo lasting a number of
> years
> without fade. My family purchased a cute little photo printer to go with
> our
> Sony digital camera that is 5-6MP MP I believe. The pictures look just as
> good
> as a 35mm, but I wonder if they will last 5-10 years. On the other hand I
> can
> go to a photo lab and insert a Memory Stick, pro, SD, mini SD, XD, San
> Disk,
> CD/DVD, CF, or a floppy disk into one of the machines an receive
> goodprints
> within the hour. Dont tell me that the little photo printing machine that
> we
> have is as quality as the 1 hour photo labs. Because they both look the
> same,
> there has to be a huge price difference between the home machine and the
> professional machines.
>
> I've attempted to persuade my family not to completely dump their 35mm
> cameras
> and the idea of biringing their camera into a photo lab to have the
> pictures
> printed, but they do not listen. I personally own a Vivitar camera that
> uses
> SD cards and the 1 hour lab produces good results. But their photo
> machine
> only takes memory stick, bummer!!

Well - I'm not "qualified" to answer your question, however my sources
include the management team of the world's third largest producer of digital
photo labs.....and several years experience in the print & imaging
marketplace.

Anyway. There is a huge price difference between pro labs and your
homeinkjet photo printer. Somewhere in the region of $50K vs $50 or so.
That plus the fact that the majority of lab printers use a totally different
process - basically your regular wet chemistry based photo process that you
have been used to for years.

In terms of stability of the output of the home photo printer, that will be
down to the quality of ink and paper you use. Google on "archival photo
printing" or similar.

The consumer inkjet printers available today do a good job of printing
photos. The main difference is price however. Both ink and paper are
expensive - and even more so if you buy archive quality. The lab photo
printers are designed to run 8-16 hours per day, 6 days per week and as such
the consumables (paper and chemistry) come in bulk and are far lower cost.
Your home printer on the other hand, is probably designed to make <20 photo
quality prints per day and last for maybe 18 months.

If I were you, I would try to convince my family to view the memory cards
purely as "digital film" and not to change their approach to having the
majority of photos printed at the lab. The only difference being that they
can delete the rubbish ones first. If they buy into this, then there is
little change in the way they have always taken photos. The main benefit is
that they can also print at home anything they don't want to take to the
lab, and manipulate images on the PC.

Personally, I get 90% of my prints done at the local lab and use my inkjet
for proofs and nirt work (need it right now). My wife was turned off by
digital photography due to her perception that she wouldn't get so many
physical prints to look at - however as soon as she started looking at the
memory cards as film, the whole thing just clicked.....

Leonard Lehew

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 05:12:31 GMT, John <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Please I ask only those who have a college degree in a field relevent to this
>question or professional photographers answer. Sorry I have to be so strict,
>but I need advice from people who know what they are talking about. But if
>you
>know what your talking about and do not have a degree go ahead and answer, but
>cite your sources, thanks...
>
>Question
>Will a home photo printer produce the same long term results as the 1 hour
>photo lab? When I mean long term, I mean a photo lasting a number of years
>without fade. My family purchased a cute little photo printer to go with our
>Sony digital camera that is 5-6MP MP I believe. The pictures look just as
>good
>as a 35mm, but I wonder if they will last 5-10 years. On the other hand I can
>go to a photo lab and insert a Memory Stick, pro, SD, mini SD, XD, San Disk,
>CD/DVD, CF, or a floppy disk into one of the machines an receive goodprints
>within the hour. Dont tell me that the little photo printing machine that we
>have is as quality as the 1 hour photo labs. Because they both look the same,
>there has to be a huge price difference between the home machine and the
>professional machines.
>
>I've attempted to persuade my family not to completely dump their 35mm cameras
>and the idea of biringing their camera into a photo lab to have the pictures
>printed, but they do not listen. I personally own a Vivitar camera that uses
>SD cards and the 1 hour lab produces good results. But their photo machine
>only takes memory stick, bummer!!
>

>Thanks,
>

>John

The durability, quality, and cost of home photo printer prints
vis-a-vis prints produced commercially has been extensively discussed
here. This information is readily available through Google.

I could answer your question, of course, as can any of the "regulars"
here. Unfortunately none of the educational institutions I attended
offered a curriculum in "Home Photo Printing."

Cheers,

Leonard

Angela

news:1103778751.21a76ff06dd924f861a91fa012be5ac4@t eranews...
> Please I ask only those who have a college degree in a field relevent to
> this
> question or professional photographers answer. Sorry I have to be so
> strict,
> but I need advice from people who know what they are talking about. But
> if
> you
> know what your talking about and do not have a degree go ahead and answer,
> but
> cite your sources, thanks...

As you clearly wont trust any answer that doesn't come from someone who has
a BSc in inkjets or a BA in 1 hour photolabs you will no doubt be keen to
see evidence that has been rigerously tested scientifically, so here is what
I suggest you do. Take a photograph, print it out on your inkjet, have the
same photo printed out at a number of photolabs (as not all are the same
quality). Place them in a nice sunny window - return to them in 10 years
time and see which one came out best

Keith Sheppard

>>I could be wrong about this, but I suspect that most photo kiosks use
dye-sub printers,
I'm not a hardware man but I have worked on photo kiosk software - which
means I've seen the insides of one. The printer had a wide belt which was a
bit like an old fashioned printer ribbon. I seem to recall it was a
transparent plastic material which carried some sort of colour coating which
got transferred to the picture. The ribbon was a consumable in that it got
used up in the printing process.

Perhaps someone can confirm what type of printer technology this rather
unscientific description indicates. I don't have a clue.

Keith

Fletis Humplebacker

"John" <
> Please I ask only those who have a college degree in a field relevent to this
> question or professional photographers answer. Sorry I have to be so strict,
> but I need advice from people who know what they are talking about. But if
> you
> know what your talking about and do not have a degree go ahead and answer, but
> cite your sources, thanks...

Have you ever considered taking a course in public relations?
Some people need to be taught the basics.