Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon 5700 RedEye

Nikon 5700 RedEye

Lowryter

Is there any trick to getting the red eye out?

most of my flash shots have it

Steve Wolfe

> Is there any trick to getting the red eye out?
>
> most of my flash shots have it

It's the same trick as with every other camera. First, understand what
causes "red-eye"...

When it's dark, your subject's pupils open up. They're typically looking
right at the lens of the camera. The light from the camera's flash goes
right in through those big pupils, reflects off of the retina (picking up a
red tint from the blood vessels behind it), and comes right back in through
your lens.

You can (a) use red-eye flash on the camera to make their pupils contract,
(b) have them look slightly away from the lens, or (c) use a flash that
isn't so close to the lens. Even just the extra 4" or so that a
shoe-mounted flash gives you helps out quite a bit in getting rid of
red-eye.

steve

Keith Sheppard

>>use a flash that isn't so close to the lens.
One of the few things I miss on my old camera is the ability to tilt the
flash in order, say, to bounce it off the ceiling. My only real criticism
of my Oly C2100 is lack of a hot shoe.

Referring back to the original enquiry (how to get rid of red-eye).
Assuming the time to re-take has passed, most photo processing packages have
a red-eye correcting feature. Mostly this works by the user identifying an
area of the image in which to reduce the red component.

Keith

Lowryter

I was wondering if anyone had info in regard to my camera.

I think that I've blocked the electronic eye with my finger.