Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > flash cards and overheated cars

flash cards and overheated cars

dummyaccount@electricant.net

i want to be able to leave a flash card in my car all day every day.
does anyone know just how hot it has to be to damage the card? does
heat damage the card or the data?
any anecdotes to share? theory?

thanks,
anthony

gary_hendricks@digital-music-guide.com

Hi

Most flash cards will be able to operate properly between temperatures
of -40C ~ 85C.
Regards,
Gary Hendricks
www.basic-digital-photography.com

Todd H.

> i want to be able to leave a flash card in my car all day every day.
> does anyone know just how hot it has to be to damage the card? does
> heat damage the card or the data?
> any anecdotes to share? theory?

Flash memory is typically spec'd for operation from -40C to 85C. Top
end there is 185F.

The more worthy worry is about the battery in your camera.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Todd H. wrote:
> Flash memory is typically spec'd for operation from -40C to 85C. Top
> end there is 185F.

then it sounds like the card will pull through just fine. ive never had
any problems with batteries, so i assume my car doesnt get hot enough
to damage them

thanks for the help,
anthony

Ron Hunter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Todd H. wrote:
>
>>Flash memory is typically spec'd for operation from -40C to 85C. Top
>>end there is 185F.

> then it sounds like the card will pull through just fine. ive never had
> any problems with batteries, so i assume my car doesnt get hot enough
> to damage them
>
> thanks for the help,
> anthony

Temps inside a closed car in the sun can top 160 very quickly in the
southwestern US. Removing the camera, flash cards and batteries is a
very good idea under these conditions.

Help, solo 5300 overheated and now doesn't disply right natl@hotmail.com Computer Support 4 05-20-2006 05:43 PM
Overheated? Bart Computer Support 2 09-02-2004 12:41 AM
Video cards and TV Capture cards rfdjr1@optonline.net Computer Support 3 01-31-2004 10:28 PM
VPN Encryption Cars and CPU performace Nick Bailey Cisco 7 10-21-2003 07:53 PM
iBook Overheated Project Mayhem NZ Computing 1 07-20-2003 03:47 AM

Advertisments