Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco Catalyst 3550 causes "Excessive jabbering" on HP switches

Reply
Thread Tools

Cisco Catalyst 3550 causes "Excessive jabbering" on HP switches

 
 
staino83@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2005
Hi

We are running Cisco Catalyst 3550 as core switches. We are using HP
procurve as edge switches, mainly 2524 and 2650. Im having intermittent
disconnection problems which seemed to originate from the Cisco box.
The HP switch will report "Excessive jabbering" on the port connected
to the Cisco. At the same time the Cisco log shows that the Interface
connected to the HP has changed state from up to down but no errors.
This will last around 3012 ms before the cisco changes the interface
state to UP. This is intermittent and may do it several times in one
day and nothing the next. I have the same problem over a number of
remote sites, all same setup and config.

I have swapped the CISCO with a HP 2824 at one site and this has
eliminated the problem at one site. However i dont have anymore cash to
replace the other sites.


Thing I have tried:
* Changed transceivers and patch leads on both Cisco and HP
* Set all ports on HP to "no lacp" - didnt help
* Disabled spanning-tree on Cisco - didnt help
* Turning CDP off on cisco - didnt work
* No error disable all on cisco - didnt work
* VTP mode transparent on cisco - didnt help
* Storm control for broadcast, multicast and unicast on cisco - didnt
help

Here are the standard running configs of Cisco

!
! Last configuration change at 13:31:56 AEST Fri Sep 16 2005
! NVRAM config last updated at 12:09:58 AEST Fri Sep 16 2005
!
version 12.1
no service pad
service timestamps debug datetime msec localtime
service timestamps log datetime msec localtime
no service password-encryption
service sequence-numbers
!
hostname QBCG01
!
enable secret 5 *******
enable password *****
!
clock timezone AEST 10
clock summer-time AEST recurring 4 Sun Oct 2:00 4 Sun Mar 2:00
ip subnet-zero
!
ip domain-name illawarra.det.win
ip name-server 172.25.80.14
cluster enable QBCluster01 0
!
!
spanning-tree mode pvst
spanning-tree extend system-id
no spanning-tree vlan 1
!
!
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
switchport mode dynamic desirable
no ip address
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2
switchport mode dynamic desirable
no ip address
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/3
switchport mode dynamic desirable
no ip address
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/4
switchport mode dynamic desirable
no ip address
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/5
switchport mode dynamic desirable
no ip address
shutdown
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/6
switchport mode dynamic desirable
no ip address
shutdown
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/7
switchport mode dynamic desirable
no ip address
shutdown
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/8
switchport mode dynamic desirable
no ip address
shutdown
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/9
switchport mode dynamic desirable
no ip address
shutdown
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/10
switchport mode dynamic desirable
no ip address
shutdown
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/11
switchport mode dynamic desirable
no ip address
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/12
switchport mode dynamic desirable
no ip address
!
interface Vlan1
ip address 172.25.80.201 255.255.254.0
!
ip default-gateway 172.25.80.1
ip classless
ip http server
!
ip access-list extended CMP-NAT-ACL
dynamic Cluster-HSRP deny ip any any
dynamic Cluster-NAT permit ip any any

*****
Here is log from cisco

abitEthernet0/3, changed state to down
000279: Sep 14 18:22:29.074: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on
Interface Gig
--------------------------------------------------

Here is running config of HP

; J4813A Configuration Editor; Created on release #F.05.34

hostname "QBH103"
snmp-server contact "Network Administrator ICTS Dapto 4221 6478 "
snmp-server location "Queanbeyan AG-1B"
time timezone 600
time daylight-time-rule Southern-Hemisphere
cdp run
ip default-gateway 172.25.80.1
ip timep manual 153.107.37.21
snmp-server community "*********" Unrestricted
snmp-server community "*********"
snmp-server host 172.17.66.92 "public"
snmp-server host 172.17.67.86 "public"
vlan 1
name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
untagged 1-26
ip address 172.25.80.204 255.255.254.0
ip igmp
exit
stack commander "Queanbeyan-AG1B"
stack member 1 mac-address 0008833f1580
no aaa port-access authenticator active
spanning-tree
password manager

******
This is the error generated from HP

W 09/14/05 18:23:30 FFI: port 25-Excessive jabbering. See Help

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
aservin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2005

Probably it will mean no difference, but why not to use:

switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

?

-as

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Cen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2005
Looks like you're doing only 1 VLAN.
Maybe the cisco wants to negotiate trunking.

try:
switchport mode access
on ports that are connected to HP.


<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi
>
> We are running Cisco Catalyst 3550 as core switches. We are using HP
> procurve as edge switches, mainly 2524 and 2650. Im having intermittent
> disconnection problems which seemed to originate from the Cisco box.
> The HP switch will report "Excessive jabbering" on the port connected
> to the Cisco. At the same time the Cisco log shows that the Interface
> connected to the HP has changed state from up to down but no errors.
> This will last around 3012 ms before the cisco changes the interface
> state to UP. This is intermittent and may do it several times in one
> day and nothing the next. I have the same problem over a number of
> remote sites, all same setup and config.
>
> I have swapped the CISCO with a HP 2824 at one site and this has
> eliminated the problem at one site. However i dont have anymore cash to
> replace the other sites.
>
>
> Thing I have tried:
> * Changed transceivers and patch leads on both Cisco and HP
> * Set all ports on HP to "no lacp" - didnt help
> * Disabled spanning-tree on Cisco - didnt help
> * Turning CDP off on cisco - didnt work
> * No error disable all on cisco - didnt work
> * VTP mode transparent on cisco - didnt help
> * Storm control for broadcast, multicast and unicast on cisco - didnt
> help
>
> Here are the standard running configs of Cisco
>
> !
> ! Last configuration change at 13:31:56 AEST Fri Sep 16 2005
> ! NVRAM config last updated at 12:09:58 AEST Fri Sep 16 2005
> !
> version 12.1
> no service pad
> service timestamps debug datetime msec localtime
> service timestamps log datetime msec localtime
> no service password-encryption
> service sequence-numbers
> !
> hostname QBCG01
> !
> enable secret 5 *******
> enable password *****
> !
> clock timezone AEST 10
> clock summer-time AEST recurring 4 Sun Oct 2:00 4 Sun Mar 2:00
> ip subnet-zero
> !
> ip domain-name illawarra.det.win
> ip name-server 172.25.80.14
> cluster enable QBCluster01 0
> !
> !
> spanning-tree mode pvst
> spanning-tree extend system-id
> no spanning-tree vlan 1
> !
> !
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet0/1
> switchport mode dynamic desirable
> no ip address
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet0/2
> switchport mode dynamic desirable
> no ip address
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet0/3
> switchport mode dynamic desirable
> no ip address
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet0/4
> switchport mode dynamic desirable
> no ip address
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet0/5
> switchport mode dynamic desirable
> no ip address
> shutdown
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet0/6
> switchport mode dynamic desirable
> no ip address
> shutdown
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet0/7
> switchport mode dynamic desirable
> no ip address
> shutdown
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet0/8
> switchport mode dynamic desirable
> no ip address
> shutdown
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet0/9
> switchport mode dynamic desirable
> no ip address
> shutdown
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet0/10
> switchport mode dynamic desirable
> no ip address
> shutdown
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet0/11
> switchport mode dynamic desirable
> no ip address
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet0/12
> switchport mode dynamic desirable
> no ip address
> !
> interface Vlan1
> ip address 172.25.80.201 255.255.254.0
> !
> ip default-gateway 172.25.80.1
> ip classless
> ip http server
> !
> ip access-list extended CMP-NAT-ACL
> dynamic Cluster-HSRP deny ip any any
> dynamic Cluster-NAT permit ip any any
>
> *****
> Here is log from cisco
>
> abitEthernet0/3, changed state to down
> 000279: Sep 14 18:22:29.074: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on
> Interface Gig
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> Here is running config of HP
>
> ; J4813A Configuration Editor; Created on release #F.05.34
>
> hostname "QBH103"
> snmp-server contact "Network Administrator ICTS Dapto 4221 6478 "
> snmp-server location "Queanbeyan AG-1B"
> time timezone 600
> time daylight-time-rule Southern-Hemisphere
> cdp run
> ip default-gateway 172.25.80.1
> ip timep manual 153.107.37.21
> snmp-server community "*********" Unrestricted
> snmp-server community "*********"
> snmp-server host 172.17.66.92 "public"
> snmp-server host 172.17.67.86 "public"
> vlan 1
> name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
> untagged 1-26
> ip address 172.25.80.204 255.255.254.0
> ip igmp
> exit
> stack commander "Queanbeyan-AG1B"
> stack member 1 mac-address 0008833f1580
> no aaa port-access authenticator active
> spanning-tree
> password manager
>
> ******
> This is the error generated from HP
>
> W 09/14/05 18:23:30 FFI: port 25-Excessive jabbering. See Help
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
anybody43@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2005
> interface GigabitEthernet0/11
> switchport mode dynamic desirable
> no ip address


> jabber


A jabber is a long frame and the cisco is capable of
sending "trunk" frames that are longer than
normal.

By default the cisco will try to negotiate various
cisco specific and non-cisco specific port
options. I suggest that you turn off the ones you dont need.

See:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...800b1500.shtml

you may need to translate it slightly for your platform.

As suggested:-
> try:
> switchport mode access
> on ports that are connected to HP.


Is a VERY good idea. This will turn off trunk negotiation.

The following command shows the trunking status of the
port. My guess is that the port is coming up as a trunk.

CORE2#sh interfaces gigabitEthernet 1/2 switchport
Name: Gi1/2
Switchport: Enabled
Administrative Mode: trunk
Operational Mode: trunk
Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
Operational Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
Negotiation of Trunking: Off
Access Mode VLAN: 1 (default)
Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 11 (VLAN0011)
Voice VLAN: none
Administrative private-vlan host-association: none
Administrative private-vlan mapping: none
Administrative private-vlan trunk native VLAN: none
Administrative private-vlan trunk encapsulation: dot1q
Administrative private-vlan trunk normal VLANs: none
Administrative private-vlan trunk private VLANs: none
Operational private-vlan: none
Trunking VLANs Enabled: 11,210,301
Pruning VLANs Enabled: 2-1001
Capture Mode Disabled
Capture VLANs Allowed: ALL
Unknown unicast blocked: disabled
Unknown multicast blocked: disabled


You may also want to make sure that jumbo frames are off.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin Bilgrav
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2005

"Cen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dgp5dh$2iup$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looks like you're doing only 1 VLAN.
> Maybe the cisco wants to negotiate trunking.
>
> try:
> switchport mode access
> on ports that are connected to HP.


Just my words + No negotiate
hth
Martin


 
Reply With Quote
 
staino83@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-28-2005
Thanks for your help everyone.
I have tried switchport mode access and after several days there has
been no further errors...not one on the entire network!
Switchport mode access has soved the problem

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTS Cisco Catalyst & Catalyst Express Switches isptrader VOIP 0 12-20-2007 06:06 PM
Choice of Cisco 3550 or Nortel 470 switches Jim Cisco 17 11-02-2003 10:57 PM
Re: Connecting 2 Cisco 3550 switches together Alan Strassberg Cisco 0 07-23-2003 09:28 PM
Re: Connecting 2 Cisco 3550 switches together NNTP Reader Cisco 0 07-23-2003 04:46 PM
Catalyst 3550 EMI Upgrade Kit (CD-3550-EMI=) problem! show version = SMI desdronox Cisco 1 07-10-2003 02:08 AM



Advertisments