Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 256MB vs 512MB SD memory card

256MB vs 512MB SD memory card

stdenis@aei.ca

I just bought a Panasonic FZ15 digital camera. I'm debating whether to
buy 256MB or 512MB SD memory card, either a Lexar or a Sandisk. It's a
4 megapixel camera, but I bought it for the Leica Lens, not the size of
the CCD. Since most of my photos will only be viewed on a PC, I plan
to only use the medium rec.

Normally 256MB would be way more than I need, except that I'M going to
Australia for 4 weeks in a month, where it is very,very hot especially
in the North.

If I but the 256MB card, I'll have to pay to get it downloaded to a CD.
Other considerations are how hard it would be to find a place to do it
and how long it would take. I only plan to be in any one place for a
few days at the most.

My main concern about buying a 512MB card is that I'll be putting all
my eggs in one basket. If the card malfunctions or is lost, all those
once-in-a-lifetime pictures would be lost and I'll return home with
just memories.

Someone mentionned it's possible to do a backup instead of a download.
Not sure how this would work especially when using public computers.
Any insights?

I also heard that SD cards are on their way out. How true is that?
This is a fairly expensive camera for me. In 2-3 years when the memory
card dies, will I have to toss my camera out with it?
Much appreciated.

Spack

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> My main concern about buying a 512MB card is that I'll be putting all
> my eggs in one basket. If the card malfunctions or is lost, all those
> once-in-a-lifetime pictures would be lost and I'll return home with
> just memories.

How about getting 2 x 256MB cards - if you need more space than 256MB can
provide you just pop in the other card. It also means that if you spread
your pics between the 2 cards, having one fail or get lost means you don't
lose all your photos. And if you find you don't need more than 256MB, you
can use a public computer (if you can find one) to copy all your photos to,
and copy them back to the other card.

As to the risk of malfunction, it's always a worry but these things seem
pretty robust. I took my old camera (Samsung 350SE) with me snowboarding and
had no problems with the Sandisk and Crucial CF cards I use, even up on the
mountains at temps lower than -15C (it was -15C at the base of the mountain
on one of the days we went, I have no idea what is was at the top but it was
much colder).

Dan

Ron

I worry more about losing the extra card (filled or unfilled) when I
travel so I rely generally on the largest card I can put in my camera
(right now I have a 512, with 256 and 128 as backup. When out and around
I just keep the 512 in the camera. If you don't have to remove the card
very often and use a USB connection you can really forget about it.
Mistakes can be made when removing cards (I caused some real trouble for
myself by removing a card while my camera's power was on). As for off
allowing you to offload and get a cd. Maybe Kinkos does or will do. On a
long trip I carry a cd with essential connection software so when
visiting friends I can off load and either make a cd or just put them on
my MP3 player's hard drive or keychain USB drive. So many options there
if you think about it. My camera holds two cards and so I sometimes just
backup pictures I am most interested in onto the second card.

mrpanitz@yahoo.com

>As for off

of
..>allowing you to offload and get a cd. Maybe Kinkos <does or will do.

a Lot of Kinkos have the sony pictuire maker
which you take a Memory card/SD and either
print the photos out or burn them to a CD
the sony also accpects Memory sticks/SD and MMC
and floppy (3.5) disks
I know thats the case in the US I'm not sure about overseas Kinkos
(althought there are Kinkos in Austraila)

Mike Henley

You want this http://www.compactdrive.us/
Get on ebay and get one. Sell it when you get back.