Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > An all-in-one lense for the digital rebel

An all-in-one lense for the digital rebel

Toomanyputters

Any recommendations? Possibly up to 300mm.

Wright

On 12/17/04 3:51 PM, in article
VxIwd.834$(E-Mail Removed), "Toomanyputters"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Any recommendations? Possibly up to 300mm.

First there is no true all in one lens. But, since you did not specify cost
or weight as a limitation, the closest recommendation that I could come up
with is Canon's EF 28-300 L IS USM. That would meet your 300 mm
specification, plus it would give you some wide angle capability. Of course
it would cost twice your dRebel.

Charles Schuler

"Wright" <nojunk_wright9@nojunk_mac.com> wrote in message
news:BDE8E850.11334%nojunk_wright9@nojunk_mac.com. ..
> On 12/17/04 3:51 PM, in article
> VxIwd.834$(E-Mail Removed), "Toomanyputters"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Any recommendations? Possibly up to 300mm.
>>

> First there is no true all in one lens. But, since you did not specify
> cost
> or weight as a limitation, the closest recommendation that I could come up
> with is Canon's EF 28-300 L IS USM. That would meet your 300 mm
> specification, plus it would give you some wide angle capability. Of
> course
> it would cost twice your dRebel.

Doesn't all in one mean you can carry it without an assistant and perhaps
pay for it without a second mortgage? Laughing, not being critical.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04...non28300is.asp

It is no doubt a wonderful lens, but too much (in many respects) for most of
us.

JohnR

To retain wide angle capabilities, you need to go out to 18 - 20mm. Nothing
with do that and go to 300mm. The prosumer 10x camera is what you need.

You may have bought the Rebel for the better image quality though.
Interchangeable lens cameras are available for that purpose. Why not get a
couple lenses. I carry 3. The 18-55, 80-200 and 50mm.
John

"Toomanyputters" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VxIwd.834$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Any recommendations? Possibly up to 300mm.

arthurw@ix.netcom.com

I agree that no one lens will go to 300mm well in a zoom without the
cost of the L lens already mentioned or the 100-400mm L lens. I think
at least two lens are required and if wide angle is important the
18-55mm would be a good choice along with a longer lens like the
70-200mm f4 l. If wide angle isn't important then the 28-135mm IS lens
would be a good choice. The 70-200mm f4 L is a bargin with it's great
optics and price.

Quite frankly, cost is always a factor but from experience I can tell
that you should buy lens slowly and buy the best you can afford. Build
a lens kit for the future that will give you excellent images and allow
you to move up camera body wish as you get more money and technology
improves.

I say this because when I started with my first EOS sytem I bought lens
for my lens kit that disappointed me and I constantly ended up selling
lens and buying new ones until I ended up with lens I was satisfied
with.

The 28-135mm IS lens is excellent in terms of image quality and has IS.
It doesn't cost the price of an L lens but gives excellent performance.
It is equivalent to 46-212mm on the rebel. I have L lens and this lens
and the images match up nicely. This is a great all around lens and
would be used most of the time.

Art

paul

> I agree that no one lens will go to 300mm well in a zoom without the
> cost of the L lens already mentioned or the 100-400mm L lens. I think
> at least two lens are required and if wide angle is important the
> 18-55mm would be a good choice along with a longer lens like the
> 70-200mm f4 l. If wide angle isn't important then the 28-135mm IS lens
> would be a good choice. The 70-200mm f4 L is a bargin with it's great
> optics and price.
>
> Quite frankly, cost is always a factor but from experience I can tell
> that you should buy lens slowly and buy the best you can afford. Build
> a lens kit for the future that will give you excellent images and allow
> you to move up camera body wish as you get more money and technology
> improves.
>
> I say this because when I started with my first EOS sytem I bought lens
> for my lens kit that disappointed me and I constantly ended up selling
> lens and buying new ones until I ended up with lens I was satisfied
> with.
>
> The 28-135mm IS lens is excellent in terms of image quality and has IS.
> It doesn't cost the price of an L lens but gives excellent performance.
> It is equivalent to 46-212mm on the rebel. I have L lens and this lens
> and the images match up nicely. This is a great all around lens and
> would be used most of the time.

I got a 28-300 for my Nikon & am disappointed with the fuzziness. I read
the advice to get a wide angle zoom & a 200ish tele zoom & skip the
middle bit. Also I wish I'd got an anti-shake type lense. Also I miss
being able to do macros. Tough choices compared to P&S!

Ed Ruf

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:42:17 -0800, in rec.photo.digital paul
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I got a 28-300 for my Nikon & am disappointed with the fuzziness. I read
>the advice to get a wide angle zoom & a 200ish tele zoom & skip the
>middle bit. Also I wish I'd got an anti-shake type lense. Also I miss
>being able to do macros. Tough choices compared to P&S!

Other than wide and macro the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR is a superb lens. Not
inexpensive though.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

In article <VxIwd.834$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Toomanyputters <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Any recommendations? Possibly up to 300mm.

Check out some of the reports on http://www.exc.com/photography ,
but basically you'll find that if you want something that long, you
have three options:

1. 75-300 IS - this is your best bet, but especially on the digital
Rebel, it doesn't come close to 50mm ("normal" perspective), and
certainly doesn't give you wide angle.

2. A 28-200 or even 28-300 lens, such as Tamron's. These are fine
for snapshots, but you'll never get a really sharp picture.

3. Canon's "L" super-zoom. You probably can't afford it.

-Joel

Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography

Fyimo

Canon's 70-200mm f4 L will work great and at $750 is a steal. It's the
best price verses performance ratio in Canon's line up.

Art

mortn

Fyimo wrote:
> Canon's 70-200mm f4 L will work great and at $750 is a steal. It's the
> best price verses performance ratio in Canon's line up.
>
> Art

Price is $579 at OneCall.com