Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > battery question

battery question

John Wright

"Ken Weitzel" wrote >

> I agree that they do self-discharge as all batteries do;
> but I think that 1% per day is greatly exaggerated...

Not Exaggerated at all.

A good description of rechargeable battery behavious at
http://www.greenbatteries.com/docume...tery_myths.htm and at
http://www.greenbatteries.com/documents/Battery_FAQ.htm. And the reference
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000352.htm given by Steve in this
thread is also saying the same.

Here are a few clips above articles -

"Alkaline batteries stored at "room temperature" self discharge at a rate of
less than two percent per year. So normally refrigerating or freezing them
will only help maintain their charge by a tiny amount. Hardly worth the
effort of chilling them. However, if alkaline batteries are stored at
higher temperatures they will start to lose capacity much quicker. At 85
degrees F they only lose about 5% per year, but at 100 degrees they lose 25%
per year. So if you live in a very hot climate or are storing your
batteries in a very hot location, it may be worthwhile for you to store your
alkaline batteries in a refrigerator instead."
"NiMH and NiCd batteries self discharge at a MUCH faster rate than alkaline
batteries. In fact, at "room temperature" (about 70 degrees F) NiMH and
NiCD batteries will self discharge a few percent PER DAY. Storing them at
lower temperatures will slow their self discharge rate dramatically. NiMH
batteries stored at freezing will retain over 90% of their charge for full
month. So it might make sense to store them in a freezer. If you do, it's
best to bring them back to room temperature before using them. Even if you
don't freeze your NiMH batteries after charging them, you should store them
in a cool place to minimize their self discharge."

"The rate of self discharge for any battery depends on the temperature at
which it's stored at. Stored at 70 degrees F (20 C) NiMH batteries will
lose up to 40% of their charge within a month. If they are stored at a
higher temperature, they will self discharge at an even higher rate."

"Self-discharge: Both NiMH and NICAD are affected by reasonably high
self-discharge . The NICAD loses about 10% of its capacity within the first
24 hours, after which the self-discharge settles to about 10% per month. The
self-discharge of the NiMH is one-and-a-half to two times higher than that
of the NICAD. Selecting hydride materials that improve hydrogen bonding to
reduce self-discharge typically also decrease the battery capacity."

Regards - JW

Dave Cohen

"Charles Schuler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Cliffy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:tqEwd.3068$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
>>camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
>>their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to
>>use the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
>>standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

> Although NiMH cells are noted for their high self-discharge rate, I'd say
> yours might be defective. Generally, they are still useful after 1 month
> of non-use (at room temperature). Two months is pushing it and three
> months generally means they are dead.

I've found good NiMH's do not lose their charge as fast as generally stated.
I got 22 weeks of in camera use taking almost 200 shots in my A40 using
Quest. My Digital brand also do about same. I have some Rinpoche and they
don't do at all well and I do not use in camera at all.
Dave Cohen

Denis Marier

Before offering some information, how old are the batteries and what type of
memory card you have. What is the present version of your firmware in you
camera. Has the Olympus people made and update for your firmware.
If you charge your battery and leave them in the camera how long will it
take to discharge without taking any pictures?.
If you leave a charged battery on the shelf how long will it take to
discharge?
Once I know the answers to these questions we will be in position to have a
better picture of the situation.

"Cliffy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tqEwd.3068$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
> camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
> their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to

use
> the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
> standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

Bob Salomon

In article <FCUwd.197218$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Denis Marier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Before offering some information, how old are the batteries and what type of
> memory card you have. What is the present version of your firmware in you
> camera. Has the Olympus people made and update for your firmware.
> If you charge your battery and leave them in the camera how long will it
> take to discharge without taking any pictures?.
> If you leave a charged battery on the shelf how long will it take to
> discharge?
> Once I know the answers to these questions we will be in position to have a
> better picture of the situation.
>
> "Cliffy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:tqEwd.3068$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
> > camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
> > their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to

> use
> > the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
> > standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

First does your charger fully charge your batteries?

On the back of your charger is the output in mAh.
On your battery is the capacity in mAh.
Add 40% to the battery capacity and divide the charger output into the
capacity (+ 40 %)

The result is the amount of time it takes for your charger to fully
charge your batteries.

Now, does your charger turn off before that amount of time? If so your
batteries are not fully charged.

Does your charger require that you insert pairs of batteries?

If so your charger probably stops charging the pair when after one of
the batteries is fully charged. In that case the other may not be fully
charged.

Does your charger test your cells to see what their condition is? And if
it detects a problem reform the cells? If not you are not getting full
charge.

Does your charger make the cells get hot during charging?

If so it is ruining the cells.

If your charger turns off before your cells are charged or requires
pairs of cells or does not test your cells or overheats the cells then
you will get far better performance from a smart charger.

With a good smart charger cells are always charged to 100% full capacity
and a set of cells can be left in without overheating so a spare set is
always ready.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Fred McKenzie

<< I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to use
the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera? >>

Cliffy-

I've fought the rechargeable battle for years. What you experience is normal.
If not when the batteries are new, then certainly later in their life.

My Olympus C-3040Z came with a set of CR-V3 lithium batteries, but I didn't
want to spend the money it might cost to use them. However, I got so tired of
the AA NiMH cells being dead when I needed them, that I decided to go back to
the CR-V3s.

Yes they cost more, but it is well worth it to me to be able to depend on them
when it might be several weeks between uses of the camera. If your D-560 can
use them, you might give the CR-V3 lithium batteries a try. If the CR-V3s
don't fit the D-560, there are lithium AA cells available that may work for
you.

As with any battery, it is a good idea to have a spare set. With the CR-V3s,
you will have plenty of time to acquire a replacement for the spare.

Fred

Dave Cohen

"Fred McKenzie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> << I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
> camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
> their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to
> use
> the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
> standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?
> >>

> Cliffy-
>
> I've fought the rechargeable battle for years. What you experience is
> normal.
> If not when the batteries are new, then certainly later in their life.
>
> My Olympus C-3040Z came with a set of CR-V3 lithium batteries, but I
> didn't
> want to spend the money it might cost to use them. However, I got so
> tired of
> the AA NiMH cells being dead when I needed them, that I decided to go back
> the CR-V3s.
>
> Yes they cost more, but it is well worth it to me to be able to depend on
> them
> when it might be several weeks between uses of the camera. If your D-560
> can
> use them, you might give the CR-V3 lithium batteries a try. If the CR-V3s
> don't fit the D-560, there are lithium AA cells available that may work
> for
> you.
>
> As with any battery, it is a good idea to have a spare set. With the
> CR-V3s,
> you will have plenty of time to acquire a replacement for the spare.
>
> Fred

I've had Quest batteries in my canon A40 for over 20 weeks and close to 200
shots. Digital brand do just as well. I now have an A95 and the Digitals are
in that and show every indication of doing just as well. Yes, NiMH's will
lose charge over time, but with decent one's this shouldn't be a problem for
normal camera use. You either have bad batteries or they aren't getting
charged. If your experience were typical, nobody would use NiMH in cameras.
Dave Cohen

Fred

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/

This link provides some excellent batteries and chargers. Go MAHA brand and
you will be ok.

"Cliffy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tqEwd.3068$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
> camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
> their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to

use
> the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
> standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

Charles Schuler

> When they're brand-new, I'd agree - when mine were new, I never worried
> about letting them sit, and never had a problem. But now that they're a
> couple of years old, they won't last two weeks after being taken out of
> the
> charger. Fresh from the charger, they're still pretty good, but letting
> them sit drains them fast. The newer sets that I've bought are better
> about
> it, but as they age, they're starting to lose it as well.

Yes, that is also what I have experienced.