Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital Removal of Haze

Digital Removal of Haze

kahalas

Is there any way to remove haze from digital photos by software
techniques?

SLK

David J Taylor

kahalas wrote:
> Is there any way to remove haze from digital photos by software
> techniques?

Paint Shop Pro -> Enhance photo -> Clarify

David

Michael A. Covington

"kahalas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any way to remove haze from digital photos by software
> techniques?

"Auto Levels" in Photoshop works beautifully on pictures taken out the
window of an airplane.

This is assuming the haze is all over the picture. If it's in front of
distant objects but not foreground objects, then there's no straightforward
way for the computer to know where to remove it.

ZONED!

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:08:11 -0000, "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>kahalas wrote:
>> Is there any way to remove haze from digital photos by software
>> techniques?

>Paint Shop Pro -> Enhance photo -> Clarify
>
>David

I would like to see some before and after of that effect. Anyone?

Ed Ruf

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:06:37 GMT, in rec.photo.digital
no_email@please_post.net (ZONED!) wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:08:11 -0000, "David J Taylor"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>kahalas wrote:
>>> Is there any way to remove haze from digital photos by software
>>> techniques?

>>Paint Shop Pro -> Enhance photo -> Clarify
>>

>I would like to see some before and after of that effect. Anyone?

Download the demo for yourself?

http://www.jasc.com/products/?
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

ZONED!

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:46:21 -0500, Ed Ruf <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:06:37 GMT, in rec.photo.digital
>no_email@please_post.net (ZONED!) wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:08:11 -0000, "David J Taylor"
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Paint Shop Pro -> Enhance photo -> Clarify
>>>

>>I would like to see some before and after of that effect. Anyone?

>Download the demo for yourself?
>
>http://www.jasc.com/products/?
>_________________________________________________ _______
>Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
>See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
>http://EdwardGRuf.com

No thanks )
Just wanted to see an example, not worth the time to download, load,
figure out how to perform the effect and delete all traces from my
computer just to see one example. Thanks though.

Ed Ruf

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:28:28 GMT, in rec.photo.digital
no_email@please_post.net (ZONED!) wrote:

>No thanks )
>Just wanted to see an example, not worth the time to download, load,
>figure out how to perform the effect and delete all traces from my
>computer just to see one example. Thanks though.

Do a google search on PSP and clarify:

http://campratty.com/2photos/ppages/p01autotips.html

and
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0007/00070801psp7beta.asp

to start.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

David Dyer-Bennet

kahalas <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Is there any way to remove haze from digital photos by software
> techniques?

Generally speaking, simply raising the contrast of that portion of the
curve does the job. Real miracles aren't possible, though.

Philip Rawson

"ZONED!" <no_email@please_post.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would like to see some before and after of that effect. Anyone?

As far as I can tell, it's the same as doing an unsharp mask with a very
large radius (20 pixels or so) but with little amount setting... try it in
Photoshop or whatever you've got.

--
Philip Rawson

www.flymodels.co.uk
www.aeromodeller.org

David J Taylor

ZONED! wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:08:11 -0000, "David J Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> kahalas wrote:
>>> Is there any way to remove haze from digital photos by software
>>> techniques?

>> Paint Shop Pro -> Enhance photo -> Clarify
>>
>> David
>>

> I would like to see some before and after of that effect. Anyone?

Source image from a Nikon Coolpix 8400 saved on the Normal JPEG quality
setting (1.5MB):

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/DSCN0027.JPG

Using "Clarify" with a setting of 5 (1MB):

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/D...-clarify-5.jpg

Using "One-step photo fix" (1MB):

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/D...-photo-fix.jpg

I didn't fuss with these, just used the processing as provided by Paint
Shop Pro.

Cheers,
David