Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon / Olympics advert

Canon / Olympics advert

Alan Browne

In the SciAm Jan 2005 issue, page 13 there is a sideline shot of an athlete
hamming it up for the photographer line. There are perhaps 5 non-white lenses
amongst about 30.

The text claims: "...Canon cameras and lenses are the equipment of choice for
90% of Sports Illustrated staff photographers and the the majority of the top
newspapers in the country."

The photo credit includes: "Photo Smiley Pool/Dallas Morning News.", "Canon EOS
1D Mk II, EF 400 f/2.8 IS + 1.4 TC. ISO 800 1/500 f/4" ...just to rub it in, I
guess...

Cheers,
Alan

eawckyegcy@yahoo.com

Alan Browne wrote:

> In the SciAm Jan 2005 issue,

Yech, you read that rag?

> The text claims: "...Canon cameras and lenses are the equipment of

choice for
> 90% of Sports Illustrated staff photographers and the the majority of

the top
> newspapers in the country."

Last spring at Point Pelee, the big-ass glass was predominatly white as
well. During the summer, just idle bird-watching (pseudo rare birds),
the few people I saw bearing higher-end equipment were brandishing the
white stuff.

jimkramer

"Alan Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e93wd.95594$(E-Mail Removed)...

> In the SciAm Jan 2005 issue, page 13 there is a sideline shot of an
> athlete hamming it up for the photographer line. There are perhaps 5
> non-white lenses amongst about 30.
>
> The text claims: "...Canon cameras and lenses are the equipment of choice
> for 90% of Sports Illustrated staff photographers and the the majority of
> the top newspapers in the country."
>
> The photo credit includes: "Photo Smiley Pool/Dallas Morning News.",
> "Canon EOS 1D Mk II, EF 400 f/2.8 IS + 1.4 TC. ISO 800 1/500 f/4" ...just
> to rub it in, I guess...
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

> -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

But did you enjoy the "Eye of the Beholder" - Nikon's Small World
photomicroscopy on Page 72?

Jim (sick of advertising) Kramer

Skip M

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> In the SciAm Jan 2005 issue,

> Yech, you read that rag?
>
>> The text claims: "...Canon cameras and lenses are the equipment of

> choice for
>> 90% of Sports Illustrated staff photographers and the the majority of

> the top
>> newspapers in the country."

> Last spring at Point Pelee, the big-ass glass was predominatly white as
> well. During the summer, just idle bird-watching (pseudo rare birds),
> the few people I saw bearing higher-end equipment were brandishing the
> white stuff.

You realize, of course, that Nikon and Minolta both offer their big glass in
a shade of grey, don't you?

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

MarkČ

"Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Alan Browne wrote:
> >
> >> In the SciAm Jan 2005 issue,

> > Yech, you read that rag?
> >
> >> The text claims: "...Canon cameras and lenses are the equipment of

> > choice for
> >> 90% of Sports Illustrated staff photographers and the the majority of

> > the top
> >> newspapers in the country."

> > Last spring at Point Pelee, the big-ass glass was predominatly white as
> > well. During the summer, just idle bird-watching (pseudo rare birds),
> > the few people I saw bearing higher-end equipment were brandishing the
> > white stuff.
> >

> You realize, of course, that Nikon and Minolta both offer their big glass

in
> a shade of grey, don't you?

Yes, but how many of those have you spotted? I've never seen one.

BTW--I think that was about the dumbest marketing ploy ever imagined by
Nikon. The only way that could have ever benefited them would have been if
they completely stopped selling the black ones.

Skip M

"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message

> "Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

>> > Yech, you read that rag?

>> > choice for
>> > the top
>> >
>> > Last spring at Point Pelee, the big-ass glass was predominatly white as
>> > well. During the summer, just idle bird-watching (pseudo rare birds),
>> > the few people I saw bearing higher-end equipment were brandishing the
>> > white stuff.
>> >

>> You realize, of course, that Nikon and Minolta both offer their big glass

> in
>> a shade of grey, don't you?

> Yes, but how many of those have you spotted? I've never seen one.
>
> BTW--I think that was about the dumbest marketing ploy ever imagined by
> Nikon. The only way that could have ever benefited them would have been
> if
> they completely stopped selling the black ones.

How can you tell? At that distance, they look pretty much the same! <G>
And even that wouldn't help, the black ones stood out from the crowd, now,
it looks like it's all Canon, even if half of them are Nikons!

--

> "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

of

as

birds),

the

> >> You realize, of course, that Nikon and Minolta both offer their big

glass
> > in
> >> a shade of grey, don't you?

> > Yes, but how many of those have you spotted? I've never seen one.
> >
> > BTW--I think that was about the dumbest marketing ploy ever imagined by
> > Nikon. The only way that could have ever benefited them would have been
> > if
> > they completely stopped selling the black ones.
> >

> How can you tell? At that distance, they look pretty much the same! <G>
> And even that wouldn't help, the black ones stood out from the crowd, now,
> it looks like it's all Canon, even if half of them are Nikons!

That's actually what I meant to imply. Since they still mainly market the
black ones, everyone would assume the white ones are Canon--since public
awareness of white Nikons is pretty non-exixtent, which defeats the idea of
beating Canon in their "massive numbers look" in the eyes of the public.
Frankly, I tend to think a lot of Nikon shooters wouldn't buy white
versions--if only to feel as though they are some sort of "Nikon Purist" or
some such Leica-esque mindset silliness.

Alan Browne

jimkramer wrote:

> But did you enjoy the "Eye of the Beholder" - Nikon's Small World
> photomicroscopy on Page 72?

I'm only at p 36 so far. Hang on I'll cheat. Wow. Great images...

Alan Browne

Skip M wrote:

> You realize, of course, that Nikon and Minolta both offer their big glass in
> a shade of grey, don't you?

Actually Minolta white lenses are almost white-white. I don't know of any
Nikons that are white. Pentax have a quite wierd looking silver-grey.

Doug Payne

Alan Browne wrote:

> I don't know of any Nikons that are white.

Have a look at some of the fast AF tele's. I think all of 300,400,500,600
are available in both light and dark, light being more grey than white.

OT: olympics billyw MCSE 12 09-14-2004 02:27 PM
Cameras at the Olympics Fuzzy Logic Digital Photography 0 08-26-2004 08:41 PM
DSLRs at the Athens Olympics Alfred Molon Digital Photography 18 08-25-2004 04:37 PM
OT-Olympics tigercat Computer Support 8 06-04-2004 11:54 AM
D60 AT THE OLYMPICS !!! Annika1980 Digital Photography 2 02-28-2004 02:26 AM

Advertisments