Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Street shooter lens from Pentax for digital SLR's (40mm f/2.8)

Street shooter lens from Pentax for digital SLR's (40mm f/2.8)

Alan Browne

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0412/pentax_40mmlens.gif

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0412/04...ancakelens.asp
no price mentioned. Digital SLR's only.

Reminiscent of the Nikon 45 f/2.8 "Pancake" lens (whice used to be $280 or so at
B&H).

Cheers,
Alan

Frank Vuotto

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:11:41 -0500, Alan Browne

>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0412/pentax_40mmlens.gif
>
>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0412/04...ancakelens.asp
>no price mentioned. Digital SLR's only.
>
>Reminiscent of the Nikon 45 f/2.8 "Pancake" lens (whice used to be $280 or so at
>B&H).

In the '60's I had a very similar looking Pentax lens (forget the
details tho)

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

Eolake Stobblehouse

In article <gM1wd.94406$(E-Mail Removed)>, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0412/pentax_40mmlens.gif
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0412/04...ancakelens.asp
> no price mentioned. Digital SLR's only.
>
> Reminiscent of the Nikon 45 f/2.8 "Pancake" lens

I think Pentax had the first one, made for the ME and MX in the
seventies (great idea). I actually looked it up on eBay to go with the
Ds which I was considering. But it was of course a manual focus lens,
and it turned out the reviews of its fidelity were mixed.

I think this new one, along with their compact DSLR, is a very
appealing idea.

--
- Eolake
http://MacCreator.com

JohnR

"Frank Vuotto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:11:41 -0500, Alan Browne
> >
> >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0412/pentax_40mmlens.gif
> >
> >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0412/04...ancakelens.asp
> >no price mentioned. Digital SLR's only.
> >
> >Reminiscent of the Nikon 45 f/2.8 "Pancake" lens (whice used to be $280

or so at
> >B&H).
> >

> In the '60's I had a very similar looking Pentax lens (forget the
> details tho)
>

> Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
> @/

Pentax had the very thin 40mm f/2.8 in production from 1976-1984. It was
just shy of 3/4 of in inch long! I'm not aware of an earlier one, but I can
be wrong. Some of the slower 50mm lenses were pretty small, but not as small
as this.
John

Dave

Nice - but the joy of the original 40mm pancake was that it was 40mm -
not 61mm. The field of view was perfect for a "set and forget" street
lens.

Jeremy

"JohnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gt5wd.129353$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Pentax had the very thin 40mm f/2.8 in production from 1976-1984. It was
> just shy of 3/4 of in inch long! I'm not aware of an earlier one, but I

can
> be wrong. Some of the slower 50mm lenses were pretty small, but not as

small
> as this.
> John

It was a Tessar design, based on a Carl Zeiss original. Carl Zeiss still
offers that lens in the Contax/Yashica mount. Their advertising headline
reads something like, "The Eagle Eye of your camera . . ."

My understanding of the Tessar design is that it is not as well corrected as
the double-gauss ("Planar") design, and thus has more distortion than most
standard normal lenses (virtually all of which are based on the Zeiss Planar
design which is now over 100 years old).

So one trades small size of the "pancake" lens for a bit less overall
fidelity. The pancake lens' faults would be more visible on static subjects
like architectural themes, as opposed to the more "in your face" street
style of photography.

I read an article just the other day that noted that the pancake lens is
readily available on eBay, despite sellers often characterizing it as a
"rare" lens. When I read the word "rare" in an item's description, I tend
to keep one hand on my wallet . . .

Eolake Stobblehouse

In article <5Dhwd.1316$(E-Mail Removed) t>, Jeremy
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My understanding of the Tessar design is that it is not as well corrected as
> the double-gauss ("Planar") design,

Yes. Nobody has made a good 2.0 Tessar.

--
- Eolake
--

Michael A. Covington

I had Olympus's 40/2 "pancake" lens for a while and resold it on eBay at a
large profit. It was probably the worst lens in the Zuiko line, and thus,
for that reason, rare!

>> Pentax had the very thin 40mm f/2.8 in production from 1976-1984. It was
>> just shy of 3/4 of in inch long! I'm not aware of an earlier one, but I

> can
>> be wrong. Some of the slower 50mm lenses were pretty small, but not as

> small
>> as this.
>> John
>>

> It was a Tessar design, based on a Carl Zeiss original. Carl Zeiss still
> offers that lens in the Contax/Yashica mount. Their advertising headline
> reads something like, "The Eagle Eye of your camera . . ."
>
> My understanding of the Tessar design is that it is not as well corrected
> as
> the double-gauss ("Planar") design, and thus has more distortion than most
> standard normal lenses (virtually all of which are based on the Zeiss
> Planar
> design which is now over 100 years old).
>
> So one trades small size of the "pancake" lens for a bit less overall
> fidelity. The pancake lens' faults would be more visible on static
> subjects
> like architectural themes, as opposed to the more "in your face" street
> style of photography.
>
> I read an article just the other day that noted that the pancake lens is
> readily available on eBay, despite sellers often characterizing it as a
> "rare" lens. When I read the word "rare" in an item's description, I tend
> to keep one hand on my wallet . . .

Deep Reset

"Alan Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gM1wd.94406$(E-Mail Removed)...

> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0412/pentax_40mmlens.gif
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0412/04...ancakelens.asp
> no price mentioned. Digital SLR's only.
>
> Reminiscent of the Nikon 45 f/2.8 "Pancake" lens (whice used to be $280 or
> so at B&H).
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

The SMC-M 40mm is all but hidden by the overhang on my DS's pentaprism!

LOL!

Deep.