Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > best shop in NY for photography

best shop in NY for photography

leo

"PeterL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ws.com...
>> In article <41bf3dd6$0$295$(E-Mail Removed)>,

>> says...
>> > I heard B&H is good.
>> >
>> > I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price

> as a
>> > British citizen.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >

>> You get to pay extra for the power adaptor so you can use the camera when

> you
>> go home...

> Why? I don't know this camera, but does it use a proprietory battery?
> And
> if so, won't it take a range of electrical currents (as are most of the
> proprietory batteries these days)? All he may need is a plug converter so
> he can plug it into the British outlets.
>

>> The taxes are what the taxes are..
>>
>> Unless you are a re-seller with a valid tax-exempt stamp, you will have
>> pay the same taxes as a N.Y. resident.
>>

>> --
>> Larry Lynch
>> Mystic, Ct.

it has auto switch

Bob Williams

Viktor wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
>
> Canon eos 20 D
> Canon ef 24-70L Lens
>
> I heard B&H is good.
>
> I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as a
> British citizen.
>
> Thanks

Yes! B&H as well as Adorama are very reliable sources.
No tax break because we do not have a VAT like you have in Europe.
N.Y. will add a City and State tax of about 8 5/8 as Joe indicated.
Bob Williams

Owamanga

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:44:29 -0500, "Aloha"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Your discount will be the current exchange rate of the euro against the
>dollar! Isn't that why you're coming?

No, he's trying to avoid 17.5% UK VAT. And UK suppliers are not as
competitive as the US ones to boot.

--
Owamanga!

Owamanga

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:28:46 -0800, Bob Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yes! B&H as well as Adorama are very reliable sources.
>No tax break because we do not have a VAT like you have in Europe.
>N.Y. will add a City and State tax of about 8 5/8 as Joe indicated.
>Bob Williams

8.625% !

Vic, you definitely need someone to buy it out of state and ship it to
NY where you can pick it up. Maybe buydig.com because they don't have
a NY node. But use pricegrabber.com for this, enter 10011 as a zipcode
(It's Adorama's in NY) and click 'bottom line price' to sort in that
order.

--
Owamanga!

Larry

> Why? I don't know this camera, but does it use a proprietory battery? And
> if so, won't it take a range of electrical currents (as are most of the
> proprietory batteries these days)? All he may need is a plug converter so
> he can plug it into the British outlets.

Yup, thats what I was talking about.. it may be small and it may be cheap,
but he has to PAY for it, as it doesn't come with the camera.

Its called an adapter (or adaptor).

Great Britain does not use 117volt 60hz electrical current, as we do in the
US.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Owamanga

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:15:34 -0500, Larry
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Yup, thats what I was talking about.. it may be small and it may be cheap,
>but he has to PAY for it, as it doesn't come with the camera.
>
>Its called an adapter (or adaptor).
>
>Great Britain does not use 117volt 60hz electrical current, as we do in the
>US.

I only get 110v in Florida, why you get an extra 7v I don't know, do
you pay more for it?. It should be either 110v or 120v depending on
where you are.

The UK is actually 240V 50Hz, officially it's 230V +-10% due to EU
standardization. Most of the rest of Europe is 220V, which again fits
within the allowed error of the standard and makes the whole
standardization exercise pointless.

He can buy the adapter (better known as wall-wart's in the US) back in
the UK, as the US dealers probably won't carry them. But does he even
*need* this? - My D70 works on batteries, I've never plugged anything
into it except a CF card.

--
Owamanga!

Angela

"PeterL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> NYC sales tax has not been 6% for a long long time now.

I haven't been to NY for a long time!!

PeterL

"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ews.com...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Why? I don't know this camera, but does it use a proprietory battery?

And
> > if so, won't it take a range of electrical currents (as are most of the
> > proprietory batteries these days)? All he may need is a plug converter

so
> > he can plug it into the British outlets.
> >

> Yup, thats what I was talking about.. it may be small and it may be cheap,
> but he has to PAY for it, as it doesn't come with the camera.
>
> Its called an adapter (or adaptor).
>
> Great Britain does not use 117volt 60hz electrical current, as we do in

the
> US.

Where do you live in the US that uses 117v? I'll need to get an adaptor for
my camera when I come to your part of the country.

All he needs is a **plug** adaptor, if at all. Because the camera is likely
to take a range of currents, including the 240V in England.

> --
> Larry Lynch
> Mystic, Ct.

PeterL

"Owamanga" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:28:46 -0800, Bob Williams
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Yes! B&H as well as Adorama are very reliable sources.
> >No tax break because we do not have a VAT like you have in Europe.
> >N.Y. will add a City and State tax of about 8 5/8 as Joe indicated.
> >Bob Williams

> 8.625% !
>
> Vic, you definitely need someone to buy it out of state and ship it to
> NY where you can pick it up. Maybe buydig.com because they don't have
> a NY node. But use pricegrabber.com for this, enter 10011 as a zipcode
> (It's Adorama's in NY) and click 'bottom line price' to sort in that
> order.

So long as the S&H don't wipe out the tax advantage.

> --
> Owamanga!

adm

"Owamanga" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:15:34 -0500, Larry
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Yup, thats what I was talking about.. it may be small and it may be cheap,
>>but he has to PAY for it, as it doesn't come with the camera.
>>
>>Its called an adapter (or adaptor).
>>
>>Great Britain does not use 117volt 60hz electrical current, as we do in
>>the
>>US.

> I only get 110v in Florida, why you get an extra 7v I don't know, do
> you pay more for it?. It should be either 110v or 120v depending on
> where you are.
>
> The UK is actually 240V 50Hz, officially it's 230V +-10% due to EU
> standardization. Most of the rest of Europe is 220V, which again fits
> within the allowed error of the standard and makes the whole
> standardization exercise pointless.
>
> He can buy the adapter (better known as wall-wart's in the US) back in
> the UK, as the US dealers probably won't carry them. But does he even
> *need* this? - My D70 works on batteries, I've never plugged anything
> into it except a CF card.

And the actual battery charger itself (Nikon Quick Charger MH-1 accepts
100-240V AC current at the input. i.e. it's a "universal" charger.

All you need is a cable with a local plug on the end. It's a "figure 8" or
"radio" plug lead in the uk. Not a "kettle" plug lead if you know what I
mean.

Maximum cost 5 - and then you got ripped off. Most likely, you already have
10 or so floating around the house.