Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > best shop in NY for photography

best shop in NY for photography

leo

"Viktor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41bf3dd6$0$295$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Hi all,
> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
>
> Canon eos 20 D
> Canon ef 24-70L Lens
>
> I heard B&H is good.
>
> I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as
> British citizen.
>
> Thanks

I think Delaware and New Hampshire have NO sales tax, if you can find a
store that carry the items. I doubt many big chain stores would have the
lens in stock. You never know though.

Michael A. Covington

I should add that the only taxes involved are:

- the U.S. duty when the goods entered the U.S. from Japan
(apparently small, and already included in the selling price)

- the 8.6% New York sales tax

We do not have anything like VAT. However, you will presumably have to pay
British duty when you enter Britain with the camera.

David J Taylor

Viktor wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
>
> Canon eos 20 D
> Canon ef 24-70L Lens

20D Pixmania - GBP 964 incl VAT
24-70L London Camera - GBP 949 incl VAT

Your-Nice

I bought from them there prices were very good and a quick delivery however
I had to pay vat / import duty but I ordered through the internet .

"Viktor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41bf3dd6$0$295$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Hi all,
> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
>
> Canon eos 20 D
> Canon ef 24-70L Lens
>
> I heard B&H is good.
>
> I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as

> British citizen.
>
> Thanks

Michael A. Covington

> Which leads me to wonder, if I may? Unless you have
> a compelling reason to deal with the US, would you
> possibly be as well off or better buying from a Canadian
> store? Members of the commonwealth, and all that?
> Plus your trip would be shorter, hence perhaps cheaper,
> and you wouldn't have to deal with all the 911 after
> effects.

YES! Can he even find a Canadian shop that will ship it to him?

North American pricing, no Canadian GST, and (as I understand it) no duty
going into Britain. Right?

leo

"Dave knows who" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VpHvd.12000$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Viktor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41bf3dd6$0$295$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi all,
>> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
>> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
>>
>> Canon eos 20 D
>> Canon ef 24-70L Lens
>>
>> I heard B&H is good.
>>

> I hope someone answers the first part of the question. I'm interested to
> know is BH the kind of place you can check out a lens and camera
> extensively, say for maybe even an hour, shooting test shots and checking
> them on say a laptop you bring in yourself? I did this at Samys in LA
> once and now I shop there whenever I'm in town.

No, it's the kind of store that they look at you like a hawk every second.

Viktor

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Viktor wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> > What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
> >
> > Canon eos 20 D
> > Canon ef 24-70L Lens

> 20D Pixmania - GBP 964 incl VAT
> 24-70L London Camera - GBP 949 incl VAT

extortion for short, the uk gov will not get a penny of my hard earned cash!

PeterL

"Angela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cpnf9a$5u3$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...

> "Viktor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41bf3dd6$0$295$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > Hi all,
> > I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> > What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
> >
> > Canon eos 20 D
> > Canon ef 24-70L Lens
> >
> > I heard B&H is good.
> >
> > I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price

as
> > British citizen.

> No you won't though you *may* be able to claim tax at the airport. Don't
> forget the price you see is not the price you pay. They do not add on

sales
> tax until you get to the till so bank on it being around 6% more than what
> you see on the tag.

NYC sales tax has not been 6% for a long long time now.

PeterL

"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ws.com...
> In article <41bf3dd6$0$295$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> says...
> > I heard B&H is good.
> >
> > I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price

as a
> > British citizen.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> You get to pay extra for the power adaptor so you can use the camera when

you
> go home...

Why? I don't know this camera, but does it use a proprietory battery? And
if so, won't it take a range of electrical currents (as are most of the
proprietory batteries these days)? All he may need is a plug converter so
he can plug it into the British outlets.

> The taxes are what the taxes are..
>
> Unless you are a re-seller with a valid tax-exempt stamp, you will have to
> pay the same taxes as a N.Y. resident.
>

> --
> Larry Lynch
> Mystic, Ct.

PeterL

"Georg E." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cpnfq6$ts6$00$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> "Viktor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41bf3dd6$0$295$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > Hi all,
> > I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> > What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
> >
> > Canon eos 20 D
> > Canon ef 24-70L Lens
> >
> > I heard B&H is good.
> >
> > I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price

as
> > British citizen.
> >

> B &H according to their advertising is the largest photo shop in the world
> and a place where you definitively should go when you are in NYC. I can
> imagine you can bargain with them too.
>
> However I have not heard that it is possible to not pay state taxes even

if
> you are not a resident of the USA (like it is possible for non-EU citizens
> to get the UK VAT back). If you have an address outside UK state you

should
> order online and have your order shipped there.

He wants to avoid customs. Otherwise there is no point in coming to NYC,
except for the exchange rate.