Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > best shop in NY for photography

best shop in NY for photography

MarkČ

"Ken Tough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Apparently RSD99 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I think you've totally missed the point of "Moore's Law."

> Given your lack of attribution, I can only assume you're
> referring to my post, but I think 'Moore's Law' does not
> mean what you think it means. It basically describes the
> rate with which feature size and device complexity improves.
>
> Care to elaborate what you think I've missed? Or perhaps
> you're referring to Michael Moore's Law. (Semiconductor
> industry being a right-wing plot leading to the development of
> the smart bomb, so that the Iraq war could be prosecuted...)

I believe Moore's Law refers more specifically to the time period over which
the number of transistors we can squeeze into a given space doubles (every
18 months or so). All the "features" and/or "complexity" of devices are
really related only as a down-the-line use of those things which might be in
keeping with the Moore's Law concept...but they aren't really a part of what
is refered to under that name (Moore's).

Ken Tough

MarkČ <mjmorgan@cox.?.net> wrote:

>"Ken Tough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> Given your lack of attribution, I can only assume you're
>> referring to my post, but I think 'Moore's Law' does not
>> mean what you think it means. It basically describes the
>> rate with which feature size and device complexity improves.

>I believe Moore's Law refers more specifically to the time period over which
>the number of transistors we can squeeze into a given space doubles (every
>18 months or so). All the "features" and/or "complexity" of devices are
>really related only as a down-the-line use of those things which might be in
>keeping with the Moore's Law concept...but they aren't really a part of what
>is refered to under that name (Moore's).

"Feature size" is a technical term referring to the size of
structures on the polysilicon which make up the transistors
(or more accurately, FETs). It only means "features" of the
chip tangentially. You're right about the rate, though Moore
himself laughs that he never said 18 months, only 12 months then
revising it later to 24 months because a fab dropped out of action.

Moore did make his initial projections (back in the 60s through 70s
on the american industry and specifically microprocessors (Intel
vs AMD), but it has been primarily DRAM industry which has driven
the decrease in feature size and ability of micros over the last
15+ years. DRAM development is entirely far east.

--
Ken Tough

Alfred Molon

In article <41E3210A.70EDBC3@killspam.127.0.0.1>, Colin D says...

> I remember, during the cold war, a Russian pilot defected to the West,
> landing his Mig in Japan. The Western techies climbed all over the
> aircraft, and laughed themselves sick at the old-fashioned valve
> technology employed - until somebody realised that valves were immune to
> magnetic pulse from nuclear bombs, whereas our 'modern' semiconductor
> technology wasn't ...

Were the pilots also immune to that magnetic pulse ? Funny if the plane
survives, but not the pilot.
--

Alfred Molon

Larry

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> In article <41E3210A.70EDBC3@killspam.127.0.0.1>, Colin D says...
>
> > I remember, during the cold war, a Russian pilot defected to the West,
> > landing his Mig in Japan. The Western techies climbed all over the
> > aircraft, and laughed themselves sick at the old-fashioned valve
> > technology employed - until somebody realised that valves were immune to
> > magnetic pulse from nuclear bombs, whereas our 'modern' semiconductor
> > technology wasn't ...

> Were the pilots also immune to that magnetic pulse ? Funny if the plane
> survives, but not the pilot.

Extensive reading has lead me to believe that EMP (from a Nuclear Blast)
would be fairly harmless to a human at the distance you would need to be to
survive the blast and its radiation.

MRI scanners expose humans to EMP while scanning, though granted its at a
lower dose than a nuclear blast.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Ken Tough

Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <41E3210A.70EDBC3@killspam.127.0.0.1>, Colin D says...
>> I remember, during the cold war, a Russian pilot defected to the West,
>> landing his Mig in Japan. The Western techies climbed all over the
>> aircraft, and laughed themselves sick at the old-fashioned valve
>> technology employed - until somebody realised that valves were immune to
>> magnetic pulse from nuclear bombs, whereas our 'modern' semiconductor
>> technology wasn't ...

>Were the pilots also immune to that magnetic pulse ? Funny if the plane
>survives, but not the pilot.

The sort of levels of EMP that affect electronics would most likely
not affect pilots. Ionizing radiation might though. The thing to
remember is that in those days, "Electro-Magnetic Compatibility" was
not an issue for electronic systems. That meant they both sent out
a lot of stray EM energy, and equally were easily affected by stray
EM energy. (There was minimal shielding, concern about ground loops,
long wires etc). So electronics were more susceptible then than
they are now.

There are some pretty wild EMC stories, including tragic ones like
the EMF from search radar on HMS Sheffield affecting its comms, so
it had to be switched off in comms periods. The argentinians
learned that, and took advantage of the window to launch an exocet.

--
Ken Tough