Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak EasyShare 4.0.2 vs. 3.2 Software - Feedback Wanted - DX 6490 Digital Cam

Kodak EasyShare 4.0.2 vs. 3.2 Software - Feedback Wanted - DX 6490 Digital Cam

Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com

Need Advice

Traveling to Chicago this weekend (for four days) to visit my daughter. Taking Kodak DX6490. I had an extremely bad experience with version 3.2 ES. It took over my Internet connection, my ownership of my photos, and my CD Burner. I finally resolved all of those issues (phew ! '>*_*<') and despise feeling paranoid / limited over the amount of photos I take over my four-day visit. I could bring the 4.0.2 software along and load just the drivers and save to daughter's computer (but ... it is really her roomate's computer and I don't want to cause said roomate any iota of the pain I have experienced).

Suggestions, Please ... Trust the 4.0.2 version and download it? My gut feeling is that I should purchase some extra memory cards. Any and all advise appreciated, photog gurus.

Hopefully in the near future I will be asking REAL photography questions. I bought my camera on e-Bay and it is my FIRST camera with a serious zoom. I realize that the DX 6490 has it's (artistic?) limitaitons, but I am very pleased so far with the photos I have taken and am looking forward to experimenting further. The camera came with macro lenses and lens attachment thingy. ANYWAY ... back to the subject matter ... HELP with what to do to take max # of photos (I come up with endless ideas and don't want to miss opportunities). On 'good' picture quality I am able to take 40 pics! So, for now I stick with that for quantity ... quality will come later.

Is that a good tactic to take? Thank you all for your wonderful assistance and friendly advice.

Sadie

Ron Hunter

Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> Need Advice
>
> Traveling to Chicago this weekend (for four days) to visit my daughter. Taking Kodak DX6490. I had an extremely bad experience with version 3.2 ES. It took over my Internet connection, my ownership of my photos, and my CD Burner. I finally resolved all of those issues (phew ! '>*_*<') and despise feeling paranoid / limited over the amount of photos I take over my four-day visit. I could bring the 4.0.2 software along and load just the drivers and save to daughter's computer (but ... it is really her roomate's computer and I don't want to cause said roomate any iota of the pain I have experienced).
>
> Suggestions, Please ... Trust the 4.0.2 version and download it? My gut feeling is that I should purchase some extra memory cards. Any and all advise appreciated, photog gurus.
>
> Hopefully in the near future I will be asking REAL photography questions. I bought my camera on e-Bay and it is my FIRST camera with a serious zoom. I realize that the DX 6490 has it's (artistic?) limitaitons, but I am very pleased so far with the photos I have taken and am looking forward to experimenting further. The camera came with macro lenses and lens attachment thingy. ANYWAY ... back to the subject matter ... HELP with what to do to take max # of photos (I come up with endless ideas and don't want to miss opportunities). On 'good' picture quality I am able to take 40 pics! So, for now I stick with that for quantity ... quality will come later.
>
> Is that a good tactic to take? Thank you all for your wonderful assistance and friendly advice.
>
> Sadie

First, one should always strive for quality. Just a few extra seconds
of thought can make a better picture, but much experience, and some
study, is needed so that you will know what to do, and what not to do.
Many of the pictures I take are for documentation only. That is, I
don't have time, or opportunity, to compose a shot, or pose people, and
I just take the picture to aid in remembering the occassion, or to share
it with those who weren't present. These aren't great pictures, nor are
they art, in any sense, but they ARE of use to those who want to see how
much a grandchild has grown, or to see a new baby.

As for dealing with putting pictures on someone else's computer, I
STRONGLY recommend getting a card reader and just using the computer's
OS to do the transfers. It is easy, quick, and leaves nothing on the
user's computer but the picture data. If the computer doesn't have
WinXP or one of the newer Mac OS's, then a driver disk may be required,
but these seldom cause trouble, and can be uninstalled after you are done.

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Larry

In article <sZzvd.997$6%(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> > Need Advice
> >
> > Traveling to Chicago this weekend (for four days) to visit my daughter. Taking Kodak DX6490. I had an extremely bad experience with version 3.2 ES. It took over my Internet connection, my ownership of my photos, and my CD Burner. I finally resolved all of those issues (phew ! '>*_*<') and despise feeling paranoid / limited over the amount of photos I take over my four-day visit. I could bring the 4.0.2 software along and load just the drivers and save to

daughter's computer (but ... it is really her roomate's computer and I don't want to cause said roomate any iota of the pain I have experienced).

> > Suggestions, Please ... Trust the 4.0.2 version and download it? My gut feeling is that I should purchase some extra memory cards. Any and all advise appreciated, photog gurus.
> >
> > Hopefully in the near future I will be asking REAL photography questions. I bought my camera on e-Bay and it is my FIRST camera with a serious zoom. I realize that the DX 6490 has it's (artistic?) limitaitons, but I am very pleased so far with the photos I have taken and am looking forward to experimenting further. The camera came with macro lenses and lens attachment thingy. ANYWAY ... back to the subject matter ... HELP with what to do to take max # of photos (I

come up with endless ideas and don't want to miss opportunities). On 'good' picture quality I am able to take 40 pics! So, for now I stick with that for quantity ... quality will come later.

> > Is that a good tactic to take? Thank you all for your wonderful assistance and friendly advice.
> >
> > Sadie
> >

> First, one should always strive for quality. Just a few extra seconds
> of thought can make a better picture, but much experience, and some
> study, is needed so that you will know what to do, and what not to do.
> Many of the pictures I take are for documentation only. That is, I
> don't have time, or opportunity, to compose a shot, or pose people, and
> I just take the picture to aid in remembering the occassion, or to share
> it with those who weren't present. These aren't great pictures, nor are
> they art, in any sense, but they ARE of use to those who want to see how
> much a grandchild has grown, or to see a new baby.
>
> As for dealing with putting pictures on someone else's computer, I
> STRONGLY recommend getting a card reader and just using the computer's
> OS to do the transfers. It is easy, quick, and leaves nothing on the
> user's computer but the picture data. If the computer doesn't have
> WinXP or one of the newer Mac OS's, then a driver disk may be required,
> but these seldom cause trouble, and can be uninstalled after you are done.

I concur... Under the BEST of curcumstances the Easyshare program is a PITA
and ties up your 'puter from time to time looking for upgrades, asking you if
you want to sign up for photo services ect.

I have a Kodak camera, and I like what easyshare does with the photos, but I
keep it shut off and locked out most of the time because of its bad habits.
It is software designed for the lowest common denominator in the IQ range of
its users.

I sincerley recommend you DONT install it on someone elses box, its a good
way to screw up a relationship.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Jeremy

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sZzvd.997$6%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> > Need Advice
> >
> > Traveling to Chicago this weekend (for four days) to visit my daughter.

Taking Kodak DX6490. I had an extremely bad experience with version 3.2 ES.
It took over my Internet connection, my ownership of my photos, and my CD
Burner. I finally resolved all of those issues (phew ! '>*_*<') and despise
feeling paranoid / limited over the amount of photos I take over my four-day
visit. I could bring the 4.0.2 software along and load just the drivers and
save to daughter's computer (but ... it is really her roomate's computer and
I don't want to cause said roomate any iota of the pain I have experienced).

> > Suggestions, Please ... Trust the 4.0.2 version and download it? My gut

feeling is that I should purchase some extra memory cards. Any and all
advise appreciated, photog gurus.

> > Hopefully in the near future I will be asking REAL photography

questions. I bought my camera on e-Bay and it is my FIRST camera with a
serious zoom. I realize that the DX 6490 has it's (artistic?) limitaitons,
but I am very pleased so far with the photos I have taken and am looking
forward to experimenting further. The camera came with macro lenses and
lens attachment thingy. ANYWAY ... back to the subject matter ... HELP with
what to do to take max # of photos (I come up with endless ideas and don't
want to miss opportunities). On 'good' picture quality I am able to take 40
pics! So, for now I stick with that for quantity ... quality will come
later.

> > Is that a good tactic to take? Thank you all for your wonderful

assistance and friendly advice.

> > Sadie
> >

> First, one should always strive for quality. Just a few extra seconds
> of thought can make a better picture, but much experience, and some
> study, is needed so that you will know what to do, and what not to do.
> Many of the pictures I take are for documentation only. That is, I
> don't have time, or opportunity, to compose a shot, or pose people, and
> I just take the picture to aid in remembering the occassion, or to share
> it with those who weren't present. These aren't great pictures, nor are
> they art, in any sense, but they ARE of use to those who want to see how
> much a grandchild has grown, or to see a new baby.
>
> As for dealing with putting pictures on someone else's computer, I
> STRONGLY recommend getting a card reader and just using the computer's
> OS to do the transfers. It is easy, quick, and leaves nothing on the
> user's computer but the picture data. If the computer doesn't have
> WinXP or one of the newer Mac OS's, then a driver disk may be required,
> but these seldom cause trouble, and can be uninstalled after you are done.
>

> --
> Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Good advice. Kodak EasyShare has recently been the subject of malware
reports, because it loads BackWeb software without clearly disclosing that
fact to the user. I have deleted it from my hard drive, along with all the
numerous Registry references to BackWeb, along with the BackWeb executable.
I have also set my firewall to deny any requests for BackWeb to access the
Internet, just in case it might still be on my system.

Sorry, but the price of "free" EasyShare software is too high, if it means
that this malware must be included.

Jeremy

"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ews.com...
> [...]

> > WinXP or one of the newer Mac OS's, then a driver disk may be required,
> > but these seldom cause trouble, and can be uninstalled after you are

done.

> I concur... Under the BEST of curcumstances the Easyshare program is a

PITA
> and ties up your 'puter from time to time looking for upgrades, asking you

if
> you want to sign up for photo services ect.
>
> I have a Kodak camera, and I like what easyshare does with the photos, but

> keep it shut off and locked out most of the time because of its bad

habits.
> It is software designed for the lowest common denominator in the IQ range

of
> its users.
>
> I sincerley recommend you DONT install it on someone elses box, its a good

The popups that you experience are courtesy of BackWeb, which is loaded onto
your computer along with EasyShare. BackWeb, on their website, states that
their popups are "polite," meaning that they only come up after a period of
inactivity, rather than disturb you when you are actively engaged in using
your computer.

I presume that makes it OK, in BackWeb's view. I am opposed to any attempt
to seize control of my computer, or to force-feed any unwelcome and
intrusive advertising message to me. BackWeb is just SPAM.

Try to delete it. If you go to BackWeb's web site, they refer you back to
the software vendor that bundled it. Try going to the Kodak website and
finding instructions on how to delete BackWeb--please let us know if you
find it, because if it is there at all, they have obscured it very well!

It has completely soured my on the Kodak brand--to have been victimized like
this--all so Kodak can make a buck.

Ron Hunter

Jeremy wrote:
> [...]

> your computer along with EasyShare. BackWeb, on their website, states that
> their popups are "polite," meaning that they only come up after a period of
> inactivity, rather than disturb you when you are actively engaged in using
> your computer.
>
> I presume that makes it OK, in BackWeb's view. I am opposed to any attempt
> to seize control of my computer, or to force-feed any unwelcome and
> intrusive advertising message to me. BackWeb is just SPAM.
>
> Try to delete it. If you go to BackWeb's web site, they refer you back to
> the software vendor that bundled it. Try going to the Kodak website and
> finding instructions on how to delete BackWeb--please let us know if you
> find it, because if it is there at all, they have obscured it very well!
>
> It has completely soured my on the Kodak brand--to have been victimized like

Is 'victimized' the right word? In what way have you been harmed? If
you don't want back-web to work, just deny it access with your firewall
program.

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Ron Hunter

Jeremy wrote:
> [...]

>>OS to do the transfers. It is easy, quick, and leaves nothing on the
>>user's computer but the picture data. If the computer doesn't have
>>WinXP or one of the newer Mac OS's, then a driver disk may be required,
>>but these seldom cause trouble, and can be uninstalled after you are done.
>>

>>--
>>Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

> Good advice. Kodak EasyShare has recently been the subject of malware
> reports, because it loads BackWeb software without clearly disclosing that
> fact to the user. I have deleted it from my hard drive, along with all the
> numerous Registry references to BackWeb, along with the BackWeb executable.
> I have also set my firewall to deny any requests for BackWeb to access the
> Internet, just in case it might still be on my system.
>
> Sorry, but the price of "free" EasyShare software is too high, if it means

Have you any proof that backweb has ever done you any harm? If not,
then how can you call it 'malware'. ANY program that communicates over
the internet can do evil things. This doesn't make it malware.

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Ken Weitzel

Ron Hunter wrote:
> [...]

>> your computer.
>>
>> I presume that makes it OK, in BackWeb's view. I am opposed to any
>> attempt
>> to seize control of my computer, or to force-feed any unwelcome and
>> intrusive advertising message to me. BackWeb is just SPAM.
>>
>> Try to delete it. If you go to BackWeb's web site, they refer you
>> back to
>> the software vendor that bundled it. Try going to the Kodak website and
>> finding instructions on how to delete BackWeb--please let us know if you
>> find it, because if it is there at all, they have obscured it very well!
>>
>> It has completely soured my on the Kodak brand--to have been
>> victimized like
>> this--all so Kodak can make a buck.
>>

> Is 'victimized' the right word? In what way have you been harmed? If
> you don't want back-web to work, just deny it access with your firewall

Hi Ron...

With all due respect, if you don't like victimized, then
how about taken advantage of?

Those unfortunate enough to use it have been harmed by - if
nothing else - by yet another piece of spyware running in the
background eating up cpu cycles.

They've done nothing more than use a work around to the
anti-spam legislation.

Truly sad that an old reputable good citizen company
with such a respected name could sink so low.

Ken

Larry

In article <9%Dvd.1020$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

> Is 'victimized' the right word? In what way have you been harmed? If
> you don't want back-web to work, just deny it access with your firewall
> program.
>

> --
> Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

What I do is remove the Kodak software (and by doin that, the backweb) from
the start sequence of my 'puter.

I dont have any complaints about what the software does WHILE IM USING IT,
but I see no need for it to do ANYTHING during the 99.9999999% of the time my
computer is on and Im not doing anything re Kodak.

I agree with you Ron, "victimized" is way to strong.. I think PITA covers it.
Anything that causes ANY uninvited window to pop up is a PITA in my book.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Ron Baird

Greetings Jeremy,

The Kodak Updater is an added advantage for you and not Malware. It is not
much different in terms of backweb than the virus protection that is
delivered to your Symantec program or updates from Microsoft. It simply
works in the background to download any new updates offered by Kodak. It is
used by millions of quite happy EasyShare owners. You have nothing to fear
from the Kodak Updater feature. I will stand behind it 110%

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company