Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 9900 vs Epson 2200

Reply
Thread Tools

Canon 9900 vs Epson 2200

 
 
Joe M
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2004
In article <czjxd.597174$D%.393026@attbi_s51>, John McWilliams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Joe M wrote:
> > In article <zAuwd.585063$D%.558511@attbi_s51>, John McWilliams
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >
> >>Do they have Profiles for the main papers, and do you use them?
> >>--
> >>John McWilliams

> >
> >
> > I have a Canon S9000 (the predecessor to the 9900 being discussed.)
> >
> > I recently found Ilford papers and have been _very_happy with the
> > results. The 9000 always performed great on Canon paper, but I really
> > feel Ilford give superior quality with this printer.
> >
> > Ilford does provide color profiles for their papers. I am using Classic
> > Pearl paper with the profile from Ilford and the results are amazingly
> > accurate to my screen.

>
> I am too, just didn't know if they had them for the 9900.
> >
> > I am using a Macintosh to print, with Colorsync on. My prints are made
> > primarily from PhotoShop. It is important to note that I select my
> > color management in PhotoShop and then make sure it is turned OFF in
> > the printer driver. It is important that you do NOT color manage the
> > output twice. This problem is possible in other programs and other OS.
> > If you have color management turned on in both places the quality of
> > the prints will suffer (regardless of paper brand.)
> >

> If colorsync is on, isn't that additional management? I keep checked the
> box: No color management in the printer driver dialogue. Also printing
> from Mac OS (Jag.) and PS CS. My source is always Adobe RGB 1998, and my
> print space goes to whatever paper Profile is appropriate, with
> Relative Colorimetric and Black point compensation also chosen.
>
> Please view the above as more a question than a statement of what is
> absolutely the best; I am new to printing and want to learn.


Yes, Ilford does have profiles for the 9900.

Your settings are correct (I went through a long trial and error
process several months back, testing several configurations. Between
that and what I was able to find out by looking and asking around, I
feel comfortable in stating this setup as the "optimum" for a Mac/Canon
9xxx series and Ilford papers),

To add a bit and explain a little better...

First, calibrate your monitor. If you do not have a third part
solution, use the Apple System Prefs utility.

Turn on colorsync. In ColorSync Utility (found in
/Applications/Utilities) Set RGB Default to "Adobe RGB (199" Note
that this is the not the best profile to use on images that will be
posted on the web. For web images, you should use an sRGB profile.

In PhotoShop CS, go to "Color Settings" in the PhotoShop menu and
select "ColorSync Workflow." This will automatically set you workin
spaces to the values selected in "ColorSync Utiiliy" above.

When printing from photshop, first select your printer and paper size
in "Page Setup." Then when you want to print, select "Print with
Preview" from the file menu.

At the bottom of the Print with Preview window, "Show More Options"
should be checked. In the "Print Space" dialog, choose the correct
paper profile. Intent should be "Relative Colormetric" and "Use Black
Point Compensation" should be checked.

Press the "Print" button and the "standard" print dialog opens. In the
3rd drop down menu (under "Printer" and "Presets") select "Color
Options." Make sure that "Color Correction" is set to "None." PhotoShop
is already color managing the image, per the above steps. If you do not
select "none" here, the image will be color managed twice and will not
print as well (usually a color cast),

This last point is where many people get messed up. I had a magenta
cast to my photos, and it took me a while to figure out that this
setting had to be turned off when printing from PS. On the other hand,
I leave "Color Correction" set to "ColorSync" when printing from
iPhoto.

Of course, you want to also select "High Gloss Photo FIlm" and
"Priniting a Top Quality Photo" under "Quality and Media" (for the
Ilford stock. Canon, or other paper may have different setting here).

Hope this helps.

--Joe
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ben Thomas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-20-2004
Don Dunlap wrote:

> That's strange, about the savings on E-bay I mean. I check on E-bay here in
> the US for ink and it is higher than I can get it for at several web sites,
> especially when you take the shipping cost into consideration.
>
> Don Dunlap
>
>


I've found the BCI6 ink for about AU$11 per cartridge. The best I've found
elsewhere is AU$19 per cartridge.

What prices have you seen and what websites were they from?


--
Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37PD, DGTEC 2000A, Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
relate to the official business of my employer shall be understood as neither
given nor endorsed by it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John McWilliams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-20-2004
Joe M wrote:

> In article <czjxd.597174$D%.393026@attbi_s51>, John McWilliams
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>Joe M wrote:
>>
>>>In article <zAuwd.585063$D%.558511@attbi_s51>, John McWilliams
>>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>Do they have Profiles for the main papers, and do you use them?
>>>>--
>>>>John McWilliams
>>>
>>>
>>>I have a Canon S9000 (the predecessor to the 9900 being discussed.)
>>>
>>>I recently found Ilford papers and have been _very_happy with the
>>>results. The 9000 always performed great on Canon paper, but I really
>>>feel Ilford give superior quality with this printer.
>>>
>>>Ilford does provide color profiles for their papers. I am using Classic
>>>Pearl paper with the profile from Ilford and the results are amazingly
>>>accurate to my screen.

>>
>>I am too, just didn't know if they had them for the 9900.
>>
>>>I am using a Macintosh to print, with Colorsync on. My prints are made
>>>primarily from PhotoShop. It is important to note that I select my
>>>color management in PhotoShop and then make sure it is turned OFF in
>>>the printer driver. It is important that you do NOT color manage the
>>>output twice. This problem is possible in other programs and other OS.
>>>If you have color management turned on in both places the quality of
>>>the prints will suffer (regardless of paper brand.)
>>>

>>
>>If colorsync is on, isn't that additional management? I keep checked the
>>box: No color management in the printer driver dialogue. Also printing
>>from Mac OS (Jag.) and PS CS. My source is always Adobe RGB 1998, and my
>> print space goes to whatever paper Profile is appropriate, with
>>Relative Colorimetric and Black point compensation also chosen.
>>
>>Please view the above as more a question than a statement of what is
>>absolutely the best; I am new to printing and want to learn.

>
>
> Yes, Ilford does have profiles for the 9900.
>
> Your settings are correct (I went through a long trial and error
> process several months back, testing several configurations. Between
> that and what I was able to find out by looking and asking around, I
> feel comfortable in stating this setup as the "optimum" for a Mac/Canon
> 9xxx series and Ilford papers),
>
> To add a bit and explain a little better...
>
> First, calibrate your monitor. If you do not have a third part
> solution, use the Apple System Prefs utility.
>
> Turn on colorsync. In ColorSync Utility (found in
> /Applications/Utilities) Set RGB Default to "Adobe RGB (199" Note
> that this is the not the best profile to use on images that will be
> posted on the web. For web images, you should use an sRGB profile.
>
> In PhotoShop CS, go to "Color Settings" in the PhotoShop menu and
> select "ColorSync Workflow." This will automatically set you workin
> spaces to the values selected in "ColorSync Utiiliy" above.
>
> When printing from photshop, first select your printer and paper size
> in "Page Setup." Then when you want to print, select "Print with
> Preview" from the file menu.
>
> At the bottom of the Print with Preview window, "Show More Options"
> should be checked. In the "Print Space" dialog, choose the correct
> paper profile. Intent should be "Relative Colormetric" and "Use Black
> Point Compensation" should be checked.
>
> Press the "Print" button and the "standard" print dialog opens. In the
> 3rd drop down menu (under "Printer" and "Presets") select "Color
> Options." Make sure that "Color Correction" is set to "None." PhotoShop
> is already color managing the image, per the above steps. If you do not
> select "none" here, the image will be color managed twice and will not
> print as well (usually a color cast),
>
> This last point is where many people get messed up. I had a magenta
> cast to my photos, and it took me a while to figure out that this
> setting had to be turned off when printing from PS. On the other hand,
> I leave "Color Correction" set to "ColorSync" when printing from
> iPhoto.
>
> Of course, you want to also select "High Gloss Photo FIlm" and
> "Priniting a Top Quality Photo" under "Quality and Media" (for the
> Ilford stock. Canon, or other paper may have different setting here).
>
> Hope this helps.


I guess the short answer to my question would be, "Yes, I have color
management turned off when printing from PS, but turn it on when
printing from iPhoto."- that was the crux of my original question.

Good outline I am sure will help many.

The Ilford Gallerie paper I use (Classic Pearl) calls for a different
setting, but of course, it's a different printer. They specify Colorlife
photo paper setting.

I presume you mean you have selected the Apple Colorsync conversion
engine in the color settings dialogue in PS prefs.?

--
John McWilliams
 
Reply With Quote
 
Don Dunlap
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-20-2004

"Ben Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iginpc.rns.ln@192.168.11.2...
> Don Dunlap wrote:
>
>> That's strange, about the savings on E-bay I mean. I check on E-bay here
>> in the US for ink and it is higher than I can get it for at several web
>> sites, especially when you take the shipping cost into consideration.
>>
>> Don Dunlap

>
> I've found the BCI6 ink for about AU$11 per cartridge. The best I've found
> elsewhere is AU$19 per cartridge.
>
> What prices have you seen and what websites were they from?
>
>
> --
> Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia

SNIP

I'm not sure what BC16 is. I didn't find it on the site I buy from, which
is:

http://www.atlex.com/epson-paper-ink...dges-index.htm

Look at this site and let me know if it is cheaper.

Don Dunlap


 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-20-2004
In article <38495$41c6ad98$4523483c$(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I'm not sure what BC16 is. I didn't find it on the site I buy from, which
> is:
>
> http://www.atlex.com/epson-paper-ink...dges-index.htm
>
> Look at this site and let me know if it is cheaper.
>
> Don Dunlap
>
>


bci 6 is the designation for cartridges in the Canon "Think Tank" line.
They have a prism in the bottom to assist in checking ink level.

They are similar in appearance to the bci 3 type tanks.


--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Don Dunlap
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-20-2004

"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ews.com...
> In article <38495$41c6ad98$4523483c$(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> I'm not sure what BC16 is. I didn't find it on the site I buy from,
>> which
>> is:
>>
>> http://www.atlex.com/epson-paper-ink...dges-index.htm
>>
>> Look at this site and let me know if it is cheaper.
>>
>> Don Dunlap
>>
>>

>
> bci 6 is the designation for cartridges in the Canon "Think Tank" line.
> They have a prism in the bottom to assist in checking ink level.
>
> They are similar in appearance to the bci 3 type tanks.
>
>
> --
> Larry Lynch
> Mystic, Ct.


This is a link to the home page of that site. I couldn't find a match for
BCI6 in a search.

http://www.atlex.com/index.html

Don Dunlap


 
Reply With Quote
 
Steffen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-20-2004

I am also trying to chose between the canon 9900i and the epson 2200.
have used the Epsons 1200 and 1280 and am very happy with them excep
for slow print speed and high ink cost.

I use the printers, besides 13x19 color presentation prints, for CA
drawings. That is, vector based lines for construction drawings

Can anyone tell me which model prints CAD information better (curve
thin lines, hatches..)

Thank
Steffe

--
Steffe
brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-20-2004
In article <de4f5$41c6b3b2$4523483c$(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> This is a link to the home page of that site. I couldn't find a match for
> BCI6 in a search.
>
> http://www.atlex.com/index.html
>
> Don Dunlap
>

Well, the bci 6 cartridges are used in the i950, i960, pixma 3000, 4000 et
al.


--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kevin McMurtrie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2004
In article <Steffen.1hkvwy@WiFi-Forum_dot_com>,
Steffen <Steffen.1hkvwy@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote:

> I am also trying to chose between the canon 9900i and the epson 2200. I
> have used the Epsons 1200 and 1280 and am very happy with them except
> for slow print speed and high ink cost.
>
> I use the printers, besides 13x19 color presentation prints, for CAD
> drawings. That is, vector based lines for construction drawings.
>
> Can anyone tell me which model prints CAD information better (curved
> thin lines, hatches..)?
>
> Thanks
> Steffen


The Epson 2200 sucks ass. The heads are clogged when it's turned on,
the heads clog between pages, the heads need to drain half of the $80
ink supply after sitting for a few days. There also seems to be a
feature that randomly feeds 4 to 10 extra inches of $2/foot roll paper
through the electric cutter. You can waste $50 of ink and paper on just
a few prints.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ben Thomas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2004
Philip Procter wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 08:28:16 -0500, "Don Dunlap"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>I am still trying to decide which large format printer to buy. The Epson
>>2200 will take paper other than Epson, and I like that feature. I have
>>heard conflicting stories about the Canon 9900 being able to take other than
>>Canon paper. Has anyone on the forum used paper other than Canon on their
>>9900?
>>
>>According to reviews, the Canon has the Epson beat heartily on speed, which
>>is good, but I haven't seen prints so can't judge which has the best color.
>>Also, opening up older discussions, what are the pros and cons of each. I
>>am not totally hung up on photos that last 50 years, since I will not last
>>that long. I don't think that I want to use second party inks though, since
>>they have a tendency to clog. (Past experience) I just want the best
>>printer for the money that prints true color photos and the price of paper
>>and ink won't send me to the poor house.
>>
>>Suggestions?
>>Don Dunlap
>>
>>Don Dunlap
>>

>
>
> I have an i9900 and have tried Canon, Epson and Ilford glossy papers,
> all with excellent results.


I get pooling of ink on the Ilford paper. Really disappointing because the
Ilford paper is much cheaper and still has good longevity ratings.




--
--
Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
relate to the official business of my employer shall be understood as neither
given nor endorsed by it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to buy 13x19 paper (for Canon 9900) Alexander Miha Digital Photography 8 11-11-2006 07:51 AM
looking for epson 2200 profiles with MIS ink on epson stock Ken Digital Photography 0 02-10-2005 04:13 PM
Canon i9950/9900 first impressions - WOW DJ Digital Photography 2 06-08-2004 05:38 AM
Epson 2200 vs. Epson 4000 Grady R. Thompson Digital Photography 12 12-05-2003 12:34 AM
Re: Epson printer 2200 - Epson semi-gloss paper nobody nowhere Digital Photography 1 07-13-2003 02:45 PM



Advertisments