Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 9900 vs Epson 2200

Canon 9900 vs Epson 2200

Don Dunlap

I am still trying to decide which large format printer to buy. The Epson
2200 will take paper other than Epson, and I like that feature. I have
heard conflicting stories about the Canon 9900 being able to take other than
Canon paper. Has anyone on the forum used paper other than Canon on their
9900?

According to reviews, the Canon has the Epson beat heartily on speed, which
is good, but I haven't seen prints so can't judge which has the best color.
Also, opening up older discussions, what are the pros and cons of each. I
am not totally hung up on photos that last 50 years, since I will not last
that long. I don't think that I want to use second party inks though, since
they have a tendency to clog. (Past experience) I just want the best
printer for the money that prints true color photos and the price of paper
and ink won't send me to the poor house.

Suggestions?
Don Dunlap

Don Dunlap

Bill Crocker

I would go with the Canon i9900. I just bought the Canon PIXMA iP8500,
which is their newer series. It's an 8.5x11 format, but uses the print
engine, head, and ink system, from the i9900. It is super fast, and does a
phenomenal job! The print head on the iP8500 is user replaceable. Not sure
about the i9900...seems it should be.

Bill Crocker

"Don Dunlap" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:edb7c$41bc4743$45234a52$26324@allthenewsgroup s.com...
>I am still trying to decide which large format printer to buy. The Epson
>2200 will take paper other than Epson, and I like that feature. I have
>heard conflicting stories about the Canon 9900 being able to take other
>than Canon paper. Has anyone on the forum used paper other than Canon on
>their 9900?
>
> According to reviews, the Canon has the Epson beat heartily on speed,
> which is good, but I haven't seen prints so can't judge which has the best
> color. Also, opening up older discussions, what are the pros and cons of
> each. I am not totally hung up on photos that last 50 years, since I will
> not last that long. I don't think that I want to use second party inks
> though, since they have a tendency to clog. (Past experience) I just
> want the best printer for the money that prints true color photos and the
> price of paper and ink won't send me to the poor house.
>
> Suggestions?
> Don Dunlap
>
> Don Dunlap

Fitpix

"Don Dunlap" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:edb7c$41bc4743$45234a52$26324@allthenewsgroup s.com...
>I am still trying to decide which large format printer to buy. The Epson
>2200 will take paper other than Epson, and I like that feature. I have
>heard conflicting stories about the Canon 9900 being able to take other
>than Canon paper. Has anyone on the forum used paper other than Canon on
>their 9900?
>
> According to reviews, the Canon has the Epson beat heartily on speed,
> which is good, but I haven't seen prints so can't judge which has the best
> color. Also, opening up older discussions, what are the pros and cons of
> each. I am not totally hung up on photos that last 50 years, since I will
> not last that long. I don't think that I want to use second party inks
> though, since they have a tendency to clog. (Past experience) I just
> want the best printer for the money that prints true color photos and the
> price of paper and ink won't send me to the poor house.
>
> Suggestions?
> Don Dunlap
>
> Don Dunlap

I have the Epson and love it. I use it for my studio and need the archival
life and waterproof ink. If you don'tneed this though and can save money by
going Canon I would do that. I have seen prints from both and they are both
wonderful printers. I currently use InkPress papers (pro chrome luster) and
get awesome results out of their paper.

www.delawarestudio.com
www.pbase.com/fitpix

Bill Hilton

>From: "Don Dunlap" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>I am still trying to decide which large format printer to buy.

This link discusses them well ...
http://www.inkjetart.com/news/archive/IJN_04-18-04.html ... scroll down to

"Q: What are my choices for 13" wide photo inkjet printers, and which is best?"

Basically the Epson 2200 is better for long print life and for printing on a
variety of papers, especially fine art watercolor papers like Velvet-Fine Art.
The Canon is faster, costs less and does better on glossy paper.

>I have heard conflicting stories about the Canon 9900 being able to take
>other than Canon paper. Has anyone on the forum used paper other than
>Canon on their 9900?

You can use other papers with good print quality BUT there's a big question
with print life ... Wilhelm Research rates the one good Canon paper at around
30 years but the other papers are rated much less ...

>I haven't seen prints so can't judge which has the best color.

You can order a 2200 test print from here ... http://www.inkjetart.com/custom/
.... you can download the test pattern and see if someone with a Canon will
print it for you ...

When I was deciding between an Epson 2000p and 1280 I got test prints from both
and bought the 1280, even though I really wanted the 2000p print life (but I
couldn't live with the metamerism) ... when I considered the 2200 I bought test
prints and compared to the 1280 test prints and bought the 2200 ... there is no
substitute for actually comparing test prints side-by-side so it's a good idea
to spend $20 to get a couple, I feel.

>I am not totally hung up on photos that last 50 years

Sounds like the Canon may be better choice for you then ...

>I just want the best printer for the money that prints true color photos
>and the price of paper and ink won't send me to the poor house.
>
>Suggestions?

I have the 2200 (now rarely used since I got the 17" wide 4000) and am a big
Epson fan, but given what you wrote I'd say the 9900 fits your needs fine. The
two main reasons to get the 2200 are the long print life (mainly if you're
selling prints) and the excellent fine art papers, I feel. These don't seem
that crucial to you though.

Bill

Robert

Does the Epson have any banding problems, or the Canons?

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >From: "Don Dunlap" (E-Mail Removed)

> >I am still trying to decide which large format printer to buy.

> This link discusses them well ...
> http://www.inkjetart.com/news/archive/IJN_04-18-04.html ... scroll down to
>
> "Q: What are my choices for 13" wide photo inkjet printers, and which is

best?"

> Basically the Epson 2200 is better for long print life and for printing on

> variety of papers, especially fine art watercolor papers like Velvet-Fine

Art.
> The Canon is faster, costs less and does better on glossy paper.
>
> >I have heard conflicting stories about the Canon 9900 being able to take
> >other than Canon paper. Has anyone on the forum used paper other than
> >Canon on their 9900?

> You can use other papers with good print quality BUT there's a big

question
> with print life ... Wilhelm Research rates the one good Canon paper at

around
> 30 years but the other papers are rated much less ...
>
> >I haven't seen prints so can't judge which has the best color.

> You can order a 2200 test print from here ...

http://www.inkjetart.com/custom/
> ... you can download the test pattern and see if someone with a Canon will
> print it for you ...
>
> When I was deciding between an Epson 2000p and 1280 I got test prints from

both
> and bought the 1280, even though I really wanted the 2000p print life (but

> couldn't live with the metamerism) ... when I considered the 2200 I bought

test
> prints and compared to the 1280 test prints and bought the 2200 ... there

is no
> substitute for actually comparing test prints side-by-side so it's a good

idea
> to spend $20 to get a couple, I feel.
>
> >I am not totally hung up on photos that last 50 years

> Sounds like the Canon may be better choice for you then ...
>
> >I just want the best printer for the money that prints true color photos
> >and the price of paper and ink won't send me to the poor house.
> >
> >Suggestions?

> I have the 2200 (now rarely used since I got the 17" wide 4000) and am a

big
> Epson fan, but given what you wrote I'd say the 9900 fits your needs fine.

The
> two main reasons to get the 2200 are the long print life (mainly if you're
> selling prints) and the excellent fine art papers, I feel. These don't

seem
> that crucial to you though.
>
> Bill

bmoag

A Canon printer can print on any paper.
However if you use color management you need to have a profile for the paper
you are printing on.
Epson makes many different paper surfaces and includes profiles for Epson
papers in their printer driver software.
Canon makes very few paper surfaces, 4 really, and includes profiles for
those papers with their printer driver software.
How much having a manufacturers canned paper profile matters to your results
depends on your understanding of color management and willingness/ability to
create your own profiles or work-arounds.
Also, in my experience with other "9" series Canon printers the Canon
methods for implementing color management are neither as straight forward or
nearly as accurate as the Epson methods. The Canon printers are first rate
but the Canon software is very second rate.
None of us is creating a Mona Lisa and concerns about longevity really apply
to only a segment of the professional market. If you are beginning to learn
high end color managed printing with Photoshop get an Epson and save
yourself alot of aggravation.

Bill Hilton

>From: "Robert" (E-Mail Removed)

>Does the Epson have any banding problems, or the Canons?

The Epsons I've used definitely do not have a banding problem (I have a 1280,
2200 and 4000 in my office right now). I doubt that the i9900 Canon does
either, though I haven't used one.

The Epsons have a utility for aligning the print head in case you see true
banding, though I've never had to use it. If you see a repetitive banding
stripe it would most likely mean one of the print head nozzles is clogged or
has an air bubble. On the 1280 I used to always run a 'nozzle check' test
before printing a photo to check for this (easy to fix with a cleaning cycle).
Later printer models seem to have largely fixed this though, I only run a
nozzle check on the 2200 if I haven't used it in several weeks and it's almost
always clear even then. The head clogging on the Epsons seems to have peaked
with the 780/870 and 1270/1280 models (I think the 780 was the worst), later
models seem much less likely to have problems, I've found.

Don Dunlap

I believe that the print head is user replaceable on the 9900 also. Based
on the comments from almost everyone who has replied, it seems as if the
Canon is the one that I should get. I plan on buying right after the first
of the year, so I have plenty of time to change my mind about 10 times
between now and then.

Thanks
Don Dunlap

"Bill Crocker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would go with the Canon i9900. I just bought the Canon PIXMA iP8500,
>which is their newer series. It's an 8.5x11 format, but uses the print
>engine, head, and ink system, from the i9900. It is super fast, and does a
>phenomenal job! The print head on the iP8500 is user replaceable. Not
>sure about the i9900...seems it should be.
>
> Bill Crocker
>

> "Don Dunlap" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:edb7c$41bc4743$45234a52$26324@allthenewsgroup s.com...
>>I am still trying to decide which large format printer to buy. The Epson
>>2200 will take paper other than Epson, and I like that feature. I have
>>heard conflicting stories about the Canon 9900 being able to take other
>>than Canon paper. Has anyone on the forum used paper other than Canon on
>>their 9900?
>>
>> According to reviews, the Canon has the Epson beat heartily on speed,
>> which is good, but I haven't seen prints so can't judge which has the
>> best color. Also, opening up older discussions, what are the pros and
>> cons of each. I am not totally hung up on photos that last 50 years,
>> since I will not last that long. I don't think that I want to use second
>> party inks though, since they have a tendency to clog. (Past experience)
>> I just want the best printer for the money that prints true color photos
>> and the price of paper and ink won't send me to the poor house.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>> Don Dunlap
>>
>> Don Dunlap

Don Dunlap

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >From: "Don Dunlap" (E-Mail Removed)

>>I am still trying to decide which large format printer to buy.

> This link discusses them well ...
> http://www.inkjetart.com/news/archive/IJN_04-18-04.html ... scroll down to
>
> "Q: What are my choices for 13" wide photo inkjet printers, and which is
> best?"
>
> Basically the Epson 2200 is better for long print life and for printing on
> variety of papers, especially fine art watercolor papers like Velvet-Fine
> Art.
> The Canon is faster, costs less and does better on glossy paper.
>
>>I have heard conflicting stories about the Canon 9900 being able to take
>>other than Canon paper. Has anyone on the forum used paper other than
>>Canon on their 9900?

> You can use other papers with good print quality BUT there's a big
> question
> with print life ... Wilhelm Research rates the one good Canon paper at
> around
> 30 years but the other papers are rated much less ...
>
>>I haven't seen prints so can't judge which has the best color.

> You can order a 2200 test print from here ...
> http://www.inkjetart.com/custom/
> ... you can download the test pattern and see if someone with a Canon will
> print it for you ...
>
> When I was deciding between an Epson 2000p and 1280 I got test prints from
> both
> and bought the 1280, even though I really wanted the 2000p print life (but
> couldn't live with the metamerism) ... when I considered the 2200 I bought
> test
> prints and compared to the 1280 test prints and bought the 2200 ... there
> is no
> substitute for actually comparing test prints side-by-side so it's a good
> idea
> to spend $20 to get a couple, I feel.
>
>>I am not totally hung up on photos that last 50 years

> Sounds like the Canon may be better choice for you then ...
>
>>I just want the best printer for the money that prints true color photos
>>and the price of paper and ink won't send me to the poor house.
>>
>>Suggestions?

> I have the 2200 (now rarely used since I got the 17" wide 4000) and am a
> big
> Epson fan, but given what you wrote I'd say the 9900 fits your needs fine.
> The
> two main reasons to get the 2200 are the long print life (mainly if you're
> selling prints) and the excellent fine art papers, I feel. These don't
> seem
> that crucial to you though.
>
> Bill

It sounds as if the concensus is that the Canon is the one I should be
considering.

Thanks for the comments,
Don Dunlap

Don Dunlap

"bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cU%ud.57840$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>A Canon printer can print on any paper.
> However if you use color management you need to have a profile for the
> paper you are printing on.
> Epson makes many different paper surfaces and includes profiles for Epson
> papers in their printer driver software.
> Canon makes very few paper surfaces, 4 really, and includes profiles for
> those papers with their printer driver software.
> How much having a manufacturers canned paper profile matters to your
> results depends on your understanding of color management and
> willingness/ability to create your own profiles or work-arounds.
> Also, in my experience with other "9" series Canon printers the Canon
> methods for implementing color management are neither as straight forward
> or nearly as accurate as the Epson methods. The Canon printers are first
> rate but the Canon software is very second rate.
> None of us is creating a Mona Lisa and concerns about longevity really
> apply to only a segment of the professional market. If you are beginning
> to learn high end color managed printing with Photoshop get an Epson and
> save yourself alot of aggravation.

My last two printers have been Epson and I was pleased with both except for
the print heads clogging on my Photo 700. I have the 785EPX now and it
prints great. The Canon seems to be leading in my decision making at
present, but as I told another poster, I won't be buying till just after the
first of the year, so I have plenty of time to change my mind several times.

Thanks
Don Dunlap