Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > SanDisk Extreme?

SanDisk Extreme?

SleeperMan

Can someone says anything (good) of these CF cards? I've heard a lot of bad
things about Sandisk cards, however Extreme serie should be for pro's, and
as such of better quality.
Also i wonder if a price of about 180USD for 1G CF card (that would be
Extreme III) is OK to buy (in Europe).
THX

YoYo

I have been using sandisk for over a year and have never had a problem
(yet). I have extreme and ultra II and both types are excellent as far as
durability. One even was dropped into a lake but still works today.

"SleeperMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LBWud.7031$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone says anything (good) of these CF cards? I've heard a lot of

bad
> things about Sandisk cards, however Extreme serie should be for pro's, and
> as such of better quality.
> Also i wonder if a price of about 180USD for 1G CF card (that would be
> Extreme III) is OK to buy (in Europe).
> THX

ex cathedra

"SleeperMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LBWud.7031$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone says anything (good) of these CF cards? I've heard a lot of
> bad things about Sandisk cards, however Extreme serie should be for pro's,
> and as such of better quality.
> Also i wonder if a price of about 180USD for 1G CF card (that would be
> Extreme III) is OK to buy (in Europe).
> THX

Yup, you're right. A big company who is a major player in the industry
knowingly and deliberately manufactures and distributes bad product.

I'd be really careful about jamming one of those babies in my camera. Hell,
it may explode, destroy your camera and damage your brain (even further).

SleeperMan

ex cathedra wrote:
> "SleeperMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:LBWud.7031$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Can someone says anything (good) of these CF cards? I've heard a lot
>> of bad things about Sandisk cards, however Extreme serie should be
>> for pro's, and as such of better quality.
>> Also i wonder if a price of about 180USD for 1G CF card (that would
>> be Extreme III) is OK to buy (in Europe).
>> THX
>>

> Yup, you're right. A big company who is a major player in the industry
> knowingly and deliberately manufactures and distributes bad product.
>
> I'd be really careful about jamming one of those babies in my camera.
> Hell, it may explode, destroy your camera and damage your brain (even
> further).

sure...i'm being paranoid..
i guess all cards DO die sometimes...i just (sometimes) wonder, why Sandisk
cards are so much cheaper than others - like i have APACER Ultra steno pro
256M and i paid exactly twice as cost of sanDisk was...
I fear most if i loose all photos in (sure, as always) most undesirable
moment...
But, since these are PRO versions, i just might give it a shot...
BTW - what about the price? is it comparable, cheap or expensive?

SleeperMan

YoYo wrote:
> I have been using sandisk for over a year and have never had a problem
> (yet). I have extreme and ultra II and both types are excellent as
> far as durability. One even was dropped into a lake but still works
> today.

haha...i never water-tested mine(yet)...but since in my Canon S1 i can shoot
short video clips in (pretty)high quality, current 256M is just too small,
since i can squeeze only good 2 minutes of video on it. So, 1G will be quite
an improvement with over 8 minutes of video. For still shots current 256M
will still be quite OK.

Bill Hilton

>From: "SleeperMan" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)py

>Can someone says anything (good) of these CF cards? I've heard a lot of bad
>things about Sandisk cards, however Extreme serie should be for pro's, and
>as such of better quality.

The Extreme and Ultra cards come with a lifetime replacement warranty and if
they fail they'll also try to run a data recovery routine to salvage any images
on the cards. So far as I know this is the best warranty out there so what are
you worried about?

MarkČ

"SleeperMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LBWud.7031$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone says anything (good) of these CF cards? I've heard a lot of

bad
> things about Sandisk cards, however Extreme serie should be for pro's, and
> as such of better quality.
> Also i wonder if a price of about 180USD for 1G CF card (that would be
> Extreme III) is OK to buy (in Europe).
> THX

I have heard almost zero "bad" about SanDisk on this forum...or from any
other source.

SleeperMan

Bill Hilton wrote:
>> From: "SleeperMan" (E-Mail Removed)py

>> Can someone says anything (good) of these CF cards? I've heard a lot
>> of bad things about Sandisk cards, however Extreme serie should be
>> for pro's, and as such of better quality.

> The Extreme and Ultra cards come with a lifetime replacement warranty
> and if they fail they'll also try to run a data recovery routine to
> salvage any images on the cards. So far as I know this is the best
> warranty out there so what are you worried about?

Aha...nice. I didn't know that. Thanks!

SleeperMan

MarkČ wrote:
> "SleeperMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:LBWud.7031$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Can someone says anything (good) of these CF cards? I've heard a lot
>> of bad things about Sandisk cards, however Extreme serie should be
>> for pro's, and as such of better quality.
>> Also i wonder if a price of about 180USD for 1G CF card (that would
>> be Extreme III) is OK to buy (in Europe).
>> THX

> I have heard almost zero "bad" about SanDisk on this forum...or from
> any other source.

Hm...i guess it's that "funny feeling" about cheap cards...i could be wrong,
though.(i guess i am, too)
Mybe i'm among that ones which can be easily fooled with expensive "da best"
ads about certain cards... ((

MarkČ

"SleeperMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wI%ud.7053$(E-Mail Removed)...
> MarkČ wrote:
> > "SleeperMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:LBWud.7031$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Can someone says anything (good) of these CF cards? I've heard a lot
> >> of bad things about Sandisk cards, however Extreme serie should be
> >> for pro's, and as such of better quality.
> >> Also i wonder if a price of about 180USD for 1G CF card (that would
> >> be Extreme III) is OK to buy (in Europe).
> >> THX

> > I have heard almost zero "bad" about SanDisk on this forum...or from
> > any other source.

> Hm...i guess it's that "funny feeling" about cheap cards...i could be

wrong,
> though.(i guess i am, too)
> Mybe i'm among that ones which can be easily fooled with expensive "da

best"
> ads about certain cards... ((

SanDisk is not considered a "cheap" brand, though I think their prices are
quite decent. They are actually the largest card producer in the world, and
have a good reputation in both reliability and replacement warranty (which
is life-time, no questions asked).