Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Recommendations: Easy to use Digital Camera

Recommendations: Easy to use Digital Camera

zeebop

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting my Dad a digital camera for Christmas, but am
wondering which to get.

I really want an easy to use camera, with a menu system that is easy
to understand.

I like the look of this camera, but am unsure if it is straightforward
to use. http://tinyurl.com/49jux or http://tinyurl.com/7yptw
Looking at around 200 ($370) budget.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

zeebop

cc0112453

I just bought the Sony DSC-W1 for my son and although it wasn't my first
choice, I believe it is the perfect camera for him. I'm a bit of a
photographer, he just wants good pictures of his friends and something that
doesn't get in the way when traveling. The DSC-W1 does that and more. The
thing that he likes about the most is the larger viewing screen. Really a
hit at parties and great for reviewing and showing images. You could save a
bit and go for something in the 3 mega pixel range. 3mp is really a lot of
camera and you can get the Canon PowerShot A75
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/4108...rshot-a75.html A great
little camera that is simple to use, feels nice in the hand and takes great
pictures. Really no reason to spend more unless you just want to.

"zeebop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of getting my Dad a digital camera for Christmas, but am
> wondering which to get.
>
> I really want an easy to use camera, with a menu system that is easy
> to understand.
>
> I like the look of this camera, but am unsure if it is straightforward
> to use. http://tinyurl.com/49jux or http://tinyurl.com/7yptw
> Looking at around 200 ($370) budget.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> zeebop

Alan Meyer

"zeebop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of getting my Dad a digital camera for Christmas, but am
> wondering which to get.
>
> I really want an easy to use camera, with a menu system that is easy
> to understand.

Paradoxically perhaps (or perhaps not), the cheaper cameras may
be easier to use than the more expensive ones that have lots of
extra options and controls that your Dad might never use.

Don't know if they sell Kodaks in the UK, but Kodak has been a
leader in simple to use technology, usually accompanied by simple
to use software.

If your Dad will only be producing 6x4 prints, 3 megapixels will
work fine and you can save money by getting a 3 mp camera. I've
also made acceptable 8x10 prints from my old 3 mp Canon S30.
They wouldn't pass muster for a professional photographer, but
seen at arms length, for the usual portraits, family, and vacation
shots, they were perfectly fine.

The other responders recommendation of a Canon A75 also
sounds very good to me, as would a low end camera from
any of the quality manufacturers. Here in the U.S., a high quality
3 mp camera can be had for around $150.

Alan