Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > street photography and shutter lag

street photography and shutter lag

Eolake Stobblehouse

Is there a way with cameras like Nikon 8400 and Minolta A200 to *fix*
the focus for several shots (not just before each one)? In other words
more or less like manual focus.
I like to prefocus on a couple of meters, using a wideangle lens. That
way the shutter delay (and my own reaction time) is minimal. I'd like
to have the shutter delay under 1/10 of a second.

By the way, here are two of my old pictures:
http://stobblehouse.com/arthome/stob/BW.JPG
http://stobblehouse.com/arthome/stob/2girls.JPG

--
- Eolake
http://MacCreator.com

Eolake Stobblehouse

In article <101220042216542717%(E-Mail Removed) et>,
Eolake Stobblehouse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there a way with cameras like Nikon 8400 and Minolta A200 to *fix*
> the focus for several shots (not just before each one)? In other words
> more or less like manual focus.

Ooops, I was too impatient there. I have now found out from
megapixel.net that those cameras do indeed have manual focus. Kewl.

--
- Eolake
--

David J Taylor

Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
> Is there a way with cameras like Nikon 8400 and Minolta A200 to *fix*
> the focus for several shots (not just before each one)? In other words
> more or less like manual focus.

The 8400 has a manual focus mode, although I've never had occasion to use
it. I would imagine it would do what you want. Perhaps you could
download the manual to check. This site has the 5400 manual:
http://www.nikon.com.sg/

The only fixed-focus I've done has been at infinity - from an aircraft -
using the infinity setting.

David

Michael Meissner

Eolake Stobblehouse <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> In article <101220042216542717%(E-Mail Removed) et>,
> Eolake Stobblehouse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Is there a way with cameras like Nikon 8400 and Minolta A200 to *fix*
> > the focus for several shots (not just before each one)? In other words
> > more or less like manual focus.

> Ooops, I was too impatient there. I have now found out from
> megapixel.net that those cameras do indeed have manual focus. Kewl.

On some cameras, there are options typically called MyModes that allow you to
store common settings, and then you can chose that setting with a twist of a
button. In Olympus cameras at least, I believe you can store the result of
manual focus as well, so if you use it a lot, you could dedicate a MyMode to
your street setting.

You might want to google for "hyper-focal", which is the basic technique you
are trying to achieve.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

Eolake Stobblehouse

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org>, Michael Meissner

> You might want to google for "hyper-focal", which is the basic technique you
> are trying to achieve.

Yeah.
I'd say that with the small sensor in a compact digicam, a wideangle,
and a medium aperture, the depth of field is practically infinite if
you focus in the middle distance. Certainly one meter to infinity is no
problem, probably much more.

--
- Eolake
--

Ed Ruf

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:45:09 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
>> Is there a way with cameras like Nikon 8400 and Minolta A200 to *fix*
>> the focus for several shots (not just before each one)? In other words
>> more or less like manual focus.

>The 8400 has a manual focus mode, although I've never had occasion to use
>it. I would imagine it would do what you want. Perhaps you could
>download the manual to check. This site has the 5400 manual:
> http://www.nikon.com.sg/
>
>The only fixed-focus I've done has been at infinity - from an aircraft -
>using the infinity setting.

David, I would assume the 8400 has the AF/AE button as well, no? On my 5700
you can set this to lock AT only, AE only or both. Being a newer model, I'd
assume the 8400 can do this as well?
http://EdwardGRuf.com

David J Taylor

Ed Ruf wrote:
[]
> David, I would assume the 8400 has the AF/AE button as well, no? On
> my 5700 you can set this to lock AT only, AE only or both. Being a
> newer model, I'd assume the 8400 can do this as well?

Yes, indeed it does have the AE/AF-L button, so it should do everything
that's required.

I was reluctant to promise the OP that this would do /exactly/ what they
wanted as it is something is haven't /directly/ used myself.

Cheers,
David

Ed Ruf

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:07:57 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ed Ruf wrote:
>[]
>> David, I would assume the 8400 has the AF/AE button as well, no? On
>> my 5700 you can set this to lock AT only, AE only or both. Being a
>> newer model, I'd assume the 8400 can do this as well?

>Yes, indeed it does have the AE/AF-L button, so it should do everything
>that's required.
>
>I was reluctant to promise the OP that this would do /exactly/ what they
>wanted as it is something is haven't /directly/ used myself.

Out of curiosity has Nikon fixed what I would consider a design flaw on the
57700, the need to hold the button down? I always thought and still think a
toggle would be much more usable.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

David J Taylor

Ed Ruf wrote:
[]
> Out of curiosity has Nikon fixed what I would consider a design flaw
> on the 57700, the need to hold the button down? I always thought and
> still think a toggle would be much more usable.

As I haven't used it - I don't know!

If you don't have an 8400 manual, and could accept a 14MB file by e-mail
(perhap 18MB attachment size), I will e-mail you the manual (as I know you
are an existing Nikon user). Or download it yourself, of course.

Cheers,
David

Ed Ruf

http://EdwardGRuf.com