Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 28-135 IS.... info !!!

Reply
Thread Tools

Canon 28-135 IS.... info !!!

 
 
advid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2004
I've just brought from Ebay a 75-300 IS and a 28-135 IS... (from
different sellers).....

The 75-300 (purchased a few weeks ago) is very good and already i've
taken some good bird/wildlife pics - and that's saying something in the
goold old 'grey days' in the UK at this time of year... The IS works
really well and the lens quality seems to be pretty sharp even at
300mmm. I'm not expecting 'L' quality but prints look good after a bit
of Photoshop'ing.

The 28-135 on the other hand seems to be a lot slower to focus/lock on
to a subject and to my eyes is nowhere hear as sharp as the 75-300. A
higher percentage of shots do not even seem to be focussed
correctly....

Does it look like I've got a bad lens ?? Is there any specific test I
can carry out (apart from actually going out a taking photos) that will
tell me if I've got a bad one....

The 28-135 IS was purchased in order to replace my old Canon 35-135 (no
IS) and so far it really doesn't 'cut the mustard'...

How to I solve this ?? (sell and buy another ????)


The 28-135 IS lens seems to be one of the most popular amongst Canon
users and gets good vibes from most.... Has anyone on here had a BAD
experience with the 28-135 lens that doesn't quite live up to it's
expectations ????

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Angela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2004

"advid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
> The 28-135 IS lens seems to be one of the most popular amongst Canon
> users and gets good vibes from most.... Has anyone on here had a BAD
> experience with the 28-135 lens that doesn't quite live up to it's
> expectations ????
>

I am interested in responses as I was just about to order the same lens
combination. Which Ebay seeller did you use? I was planning to use
7dayshop with both of them at £299 each. I would be interested to know how
much you paid.

Angela


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Phil Wheeler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2004


advid wrote:

> I've just brought from Ebay a 75-300 IS and a 28-135 IS... (from
> different sellers).....
>
> The 75-300 (purchased a few weeks ago) is very good and already i've
> taken some good bird/wildlife pics - and that's saying something in the
> goold old 'grey days' in the UK at this time of year... The IS works
> really well and the lens quality seems to be pretty sharp even at
> 300mmm. I'm not expecting 'L' quality but prints look good after a bit
> of Photoshop'ing.
>
> The 28-135 on the other hand seems to be a lot slower to focus/lock on
> to a subject and to my eyes is nowhere hear as sharp as the 75-300. A
> higher percentage of shots do not even seem to be focussed
> correctly....
>


They are both of the same era design-wise, two of Canon's earlier IS
lenses. I would expect them to both focus well but not so quickly as
newer designs

My 28-135IS has been fine and the lens reviews agree with that. A
friend is on #3 (he wore out two from usage!) and says they have all
been fine -- and he has three L lenses and high standards.

I would question whether you got a good sample.

Phil

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jon Pike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2004
"advid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1102689094.218288.242910
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> I've just brought from Ebay a 75-300 IS and a 28-135 IS... (from
> different sellers).....


When you buy off ebay, you get what you pay for :/

> The 28-135 on the other hand seems to be a lot slower to focus/lock on
> to a subject and to my eyes is nowhere hear as sharp as the 75-300. A
> higher percentage of shots do not even seem to be focussed
> correctly....
>
> Does it look like I've got a bad lens ?? Is there any specific test I
> can carry out (apart from actually going out a taking photos) that will
> tell me if I've got a bad one....


There are tests you can conduct that will tell you if the lense is bad.
However, they require taking pictures.

> The 28-135 IS was purchased in order to replace my old Canon 35-135 (no
> IS) and so far it really doesn't 'cut the mustard'...
>
> How to I solve this ?? (sell and buy another ????)


If you know that it's faulty, it would be unethical of you to try and sell
it.

--
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jon Pike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2004
"Angela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:cpccru$3aj$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net:

>
> "advid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>
>> The 28-135 IS lens seems to be one of the most popular amongst Canon
>> users and gets good vibes from most.... Has anyone on here had a BAD
>> experience with the 28-135 lens that doesn't quite live up to it's
>> expectations ????
>>

> I am interested in responses as I was just about to order the same
> lens combination. Which Ebay seeller did you use? I was planning to
> use 7dayshop with both of them at £299 each. I would be interested to
> know how much you paid.


You'd be paying more than retail if you paid that for the 28-135.

www.thecamerastore.com
Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM
Your price: $689.95 (CAD)

299£ = 702.65 CAD.

You're better off buying from a store, instead of ebay.

--
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet
 
Reply With Quote
 
Eric Gill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2004
"advid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1102689094.218288.242910
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

>
> The 28-135 IS lens seems to be one of the most popular amongst Canon
> users and gets good vibes from most.... Has anyone on here had a BAD
> experience with the 28-135 lens that doesn't quite live up to it's
> expectations ????


No. Your lens is damaged. The 28-135 is no "L", but it's a good, solid
performer and it's main weaknesses are a slight edge dropoff and slightly
flat color. The 75-300IS is not even vaguely in the same league; it's
godawfully slow and soft through it's entire throw. If it's outperforming
the 28-135, something is seriously screwy.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Phil Wheeler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2004


Jon Pike wrote:


> There are tests you can conduct that will tell you if the lense is bad.
> However, they require taking pictures.
>


That seems like a narrow view <grin>

Phil

 
Reply With Quote
 
Angela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2004

"Jon Pike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns95BB52813AEFBLessThanPerfectInc@24.71.223. 159...
> "Angela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:cpccru$3aj$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net:
>
> You'd be paying more than retail if you paid that for the 28-135.
>
> www.thecamerastore.com
> Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM
> Your price: $689.95 (CAD)
>
> 299£ = 702.65 CAD.
>
> You're better off buying from a store, instead of ebay.


What you say may be true in Canada but not in the UK. For example the
largest dealer in the UK sells the 28-135 IS for £415 (975 CAD)and you won't
find it much cheaper elsewhere in the UK, so £299 is pretty cheap for us.
sure we could import one from the US but then we have to pay 25% import duty
and sales tax plus you lose any warranty. We are well and truely fleeced
over here


 
Reply With Quote
 
RustYİ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2004
"advid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
> The 28-135 on the other hand seems to be a lot slower to focus/lock on
> to a subject and to my eyes is nowhere hear as sharp as the 75-300. A
> higher percentage of shots do not even seem to be focussed


I think you have answered that with your last sentence. They are either in
focus or not but the different angle gives a totally different impression
and that is what your problem is. With a telephoto lens the backround
appears very different from a wide angle shot and can make the subject look
'sharper'.
--
For Welsh Military Flying visit .......
www.groups.yahoo.com/group/V-A-S/


 
Reply With Quote
 
arthurw@ix.netcom.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2004
I have the 28-135mm IS lens as well as 4 L lens. I have been really
surprised at the images I have taken with it. It is sharp, focus is
fast, and the color is very good. I bought it when I bought my 10D and
I use it for a general purpose walk around lens. I bought it with the
intention of trying it and if I didn't like it I was going to sell it.
I bought it used and figured I could break even. I'm keeping it for the
use I bought it for. A 46-212mm IS lens for general walk around
photography. I'd say that you have a faulty lens.

Art

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canon should be totally ashamed of this (and some others too) HP got this basic and absolutely essential thing right in their little digicam that's cheap even for a P&S, so why can't Canon?!! Yes, I know, there's more to the Canon 20D, b Mike Henley Digital Photography 43 12-15-2004 05:21 PM
Clear the Render info & change to different info Andrea Williams ASP .Net 2 10-27-2004 10:01 PM
How to get the Operating System info like ( Wireless info, Wireless connection) Vasanth Perl 0 06-28-2004 08:56 AM
Wanted Info on UK-Info, & WebDesign PeterPan Computer Support 3 11-27-2003 05:32 PM



Advertisments