Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Coolpix 8800 and Basketball

Coolpix 8800 and Basketball

BobS

Hi Folks,

This week I purchased a Nikon Coolpix 8800 AND a Nikon SB80DX
Speedlight. All of the pictures from a basketball game were pure luck
in that the shutter delay is a challenge. I actually did better with
my wife's "point and shoot" 2 mega pixel camera firing the SB80DX in
wireless.

I don't understand how the "AE/AL-L" button works or how to determine
its status. I have the focus set to the "continous focus" mode.

What I would like -- push the shutter-release button part way, have
focus and exposure lock, track/pan/follow the action (several seconds),
and then have the shutter release, and the SB80DX Speedlight fire the
instant I push the release button beyond 1/2 way. Are their settings
to accomplish this?

I will take my chances with exposure and focus and at least have the
players in frame. With Photoshop I can fix most things, but I can't
put players into the scene. Basketballs and nets, yes, but players no.

I am sure I am doing something wrong.

What settings are you using?

The other features of the camera are what I expected. The 8mp makes
cropping a lot better. Likewise with the 10X VR zoom.
Thank you for the assistance.

BobS

Bobsprit

The other features of the camera are what I expected. The 8mp makes
cropping a lot better. Likewise with the 10X VR zoom.
Thank you for the assistance.>>>

I had an 8800 and returned it. For sports shooting you're better off with a
DSLR and a wider faster lens. If there's enough light, the 8800 can manage at
times but it is what it is. Slow.

RB

Frank ess

Bobsprit wrote:
> The other features of the camera are what I expected. The 8mp makes
> cropping a lot better. Likewise with the 10X VR zoom.
> Thank you for the assistance.>>>
>
> I had an 8800 and returned it. For sports shooting you're better off
> with a DSLR and a wider faster lens. If there's enough light, the
> 8800 can manage at times but it is what it is. Slow.
>
> RB

And if you like it enough to keep it anyway, there is a good forum with
helpful folks at
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>

--
Frank ess

James

I dont think the sb 80dx is compatible with the 8800

Only the sb 600 and sb 800

James

"BobS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi Folks,
>
> This week I purchased a Nikon Coolpix 8800 AND a Nikon SB80DX
> Speedlight. All of the pictures from a basketball game were pure luck
> in that the shutter delay is a challenge. I actually did better with
> my wife's "point and shoot" 2 mega pixel camera firing the SB80DX in
> wireless.
>
> I don't understand how the "AE/AL-L" button works or how to determine
> its status. I have the focus set to the "continous focus" mode.
>
> What I would like -- push the shutter-release button part way, have
> focus and exposure lock, track/pan/follow the action (several seconds),
> and then have the shutter release, and the SB80DX Speedlight fire the
> instant I push the release button beyond 1/2 way. Are their settings
> to accomplish this?
>
> I will take my chances with exposure and focus and at least have the
> players in frame. With Photoshop I can fix most things, but I can't
> put players into the scene. Basketballs and nets, yes, but players no.
>
> I am sure I am doing something wrong.
>
> What settings are you using?
>
> The other features of the camera are what I expected. The 8mp makes
> cropping a lot better. Likewise with the 10X VR zoom.
> Thank you for the assistance.
>
> BobS

Ed Ruf

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 11:54:35 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Frank ess"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bobsprit wrote:

>And if you like it enough to keep it anyway, there is a good forum with
>helpful folks at
>(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>

Just be aware of what intellectual property rights you give away using
Yahoo Groups. Google groups has similar issues.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Ed Ruf

On 9 Dec 2004 10:51:24 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "BobS"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>This week I purchased a Nikon Coolpix 8800 AND a Nikon SB80DX
>Speedlight. All of the pictures from a basketball game were pure luck
>in that the shutter delay is a challenge. I actually did better with
>my wife's "point and shoot" 2 mega pixel camera firing the SB80DX in
>wireless.
>
>I don't understand how the "AE/AL-L" button works or how to determine
>its status. I have the focus set to the "continous focus" mode.

First, don't do this. All it tends to do is run the battery down. You
normally don't buy much if anything in focus times doing this.

>What I would like -- push the shutter-release button part way, have
>focus and exposure lock, track/pan/follow the action (several seconds),
>and then have the shutter release, and the SB80DX Speedlight fire the
>instant I push the release button beyond 1/2 way. Are their settings
>to accomplish this?

That is how the camera will work. A half press will lock focus and
exposure. Fully pressing with take the shot. This should minimize lag.
Assuming the flash is charged I would imagine this shouldn't slow things
down

>The other features of the camera are what I expected. The 8mp makes
>cropping a lot better. Likewise with the 10X VR zoom.

Have you considered pushing the ISO up, doing without the flash and post
processing to remove noise?
http://EdwardGRuf.com

I.Reject.Spam@my.isp

Archived from "BobS" <(E-Mail Removed)> on 9 Dec 2004 10:51:24 -0800:

>Hi Folks,
>
>This week I purchased a Nikon Coolpix 8800 AND a Nikon SB80DX
>Speedlight. All of the pictures from a basketball game were pure luck
>in that the shutter delay is a challenge. I actually did better with
>my wife's "point and shoot" 2 mega pixel camera firing the SB80DX in
>wireless.
>
>I don't understand how the "AE/AL-L" button works or how to determine
>its status. I have the focus set to the "continous focus" mode.

Set focus to single, not continuous.

>What I would like -- push the shutter-release button part way, have
>focus and exposure lock, track/pan/follow the action (several seconds),
>and then have the shutter release, and the SB80DX Speedlight fire the
>instant I push the release button beyond 1/2 way. Are their settings
>to accomplish this?

Yes. Set exposure and focus to lock upon 1/2 depression of the shutter
release button. It is described in detail in the manual.

>I will take my chances with exposure and focus and at least have the
>players in frame. With Photoshop I can fix most things, but I can't
>put players into the scene. Basketballs and nets, yes, but players no.
>
>I am sure I am doing something wrong.
>
>What settings are you using?
>
>The other features of the camera are what I expected. The 8mp makes
>cropping a lot better. Likewise with the 10X VR zoom.
>Thank you for the assistance.
>
>BobS

Please read your manual. The information you seek regarding focus and
exposure is explained in detail in there. See pages 22, 98 for starters and
additional references in the Index.

How did you come to buy a DX80? The 80DX is a discontinued flash. I had a
DX80 that I used with my D100, but gave it away when I gave away the camera.
It cannot take advantage of the latest functions built into Nikon's newest
cameras. The SB600 and the SB800 have most functions enabled when used on
the 8800. Advanced Wireless Lighting is not available. I use one of my
three SB800 units with my little 8800. Works great. It permits tack sharp
focus in low light and in fact even in a pitch black room. The Nikon Coolpix
8800 is a fine little camera in the Point & Shoot class. Cheers.

vm

BobS

Thanks all, I did set down and RTFM but it wasn't clear to me until
last night. I have this family problem of shaking and twiching, plus
from years of computer keyboarding,my finger tips are near num. With
that challenge I found it hard to push the release half way and not
jitter to an unwanted shot. I have found if I hold the AF/AE-L with my
thumb I can do pretty good and not have much of a delay

Here are the results of my adventaure last night at a local basketball
game.
http://imageevent.com/dvds4bmx/mortongirlsdec9
Still have a ways to go, but Photoshop does help. Comments Welcomed
and needed!

How/why did I buy the 80DX speedlight. Biggest reason is I don't read
in detail now that I am retired. After looking on ebay and finding the
80DX and winning the bid on a new one for $214 total I was delighted.
Bought it before I bought the camera so the wife would be sure and let
me have it. The GN of 125 also caught my attention as I want to
get high school football images. BOTTOM LINE is I didn't read Steve's
review close enough and I thought it was the newest of the new..
Someday it will be a slave bouncing off of the ceiling at full power.
Until then it will just keep blasting for all its worth out of control.

Yes, we have changed the focus mode to single with as good of, if not
better results.

400 is the highest ISO avaialbe. The range on the Ev is +/- 2. This
bumps the effective ISO up to ?? (ISO400 times sqrt of 2?)

Ed Ruf

On 10 Dec 2004 13:01:43 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "BobS"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>400 is the highest ISO avaialbe. The range on the Ev is +/- 2. This
>bumps the effective ISO up to ?? (ISO400 times sqrt of 2?)

Be careful. Depending on what settings you get nothing. For example if
you set shutter priority to keep the shutter speed up to freeze motion
and due to low light the lens is at its widest aperture then a +ev
setting will do nothing.
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

BobS

Well we have 1300 pictures behind us now and here are the latest. I
think they have getting better?

Here is the latest group from last night.
http://imageevent.com/dvds4bmx/mgdec30

Comments Please. Help this novice out so he can have more fun!
Regards,
BobSam