Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Can out of focused pics be repaired once in the PC?

Re: Can out of focused pics be repaired once in the PC?

josvanr@xs4all.nl

Isn't it possible to somehow measure the distortion for a particular
lense, using a known calibration pattern that is photographed and then
apply a system-theory approach, i.e. treat the camera as a black box?
Jos

Mark≤

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Isn't it possible to somehow measure the distortion for a particular
> lense, using a known calibration pattern that is photographed and then
> apply a system-theory approach, i.e. treat the camera as a black box?
> Jos

Only in the movies.

Mark≤

"Mark≤" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >
> > Isn't it possible to somehow measure the distortion for a particular
> > lense, using a known calibration pattern that is photographed and then
> > apply a system-theory approach, i.e. treat the camera as a black box?
> > Jos

> Only in the movies.

Unless you're talking about distortion ONLY...this CAN be done, and focus
can be recovered to a very small degree.
(I read the subject line, which asked only about focus)

Martin Brown

> Isn't it possible to somehow measure the distortion for a particular
> lense, using a known calibration pattern that is photographed and then
> apply a system-theory approach, i.e. treat the camera as a black box?
> Jos

It depends how out of focus they are and how much you are prepared to
pay to have it done. Deconvolution codes do exist and can work well
enough to be useful on some problems - motion blur for instance.

Usually it is much easier to take the shots again.

Regards,
Martin Brown

RustY©

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Isn't it possible to ........treat the camera as a black box?
> Jos

No! You only have the information from the distorted picture.
--
For Welsh Military Flying visit .......

Ryadia

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Isn't it possible to somehow measure the distortion for a particular
> lense, using a known calibration pattern that is photographed and then
> apply a system-theory approach, i.e. treat the camera as a black box?
> Jos

There exists a program called "unshake" which will remove the 'other' images
from an image. Another is called "focus Fixer". Much is claimed for focus
fixer but my experience tends to show it is nearly useless. Unshake on the
other hand is only of use when the photo is sharply focused but you moved
the camera. This program actually does work but it's really odd interface
will turn a lot of people off.

Doug

Ron Hunter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Isn't it possible to somehow measure the distortion for a particular
> lense, using a known calibration pattern that is photographed and then
> apply a system-theory approach, i.e. treat the camera as a black box?
> Jos

There are programs that attempt to correct for focus and movement
problems. I have found them slow, and rarely do they produce
satisfactory results. The best that can be said for any I have tried,
is that they make the effect less visible. There is no substitute for
doing it right in the first place.

P.R.Brady

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Isn't it possible to somehow measure the distortion for a particular
> lense, using a known calibration pattern that is photographed and then
> apply a system-theory approach, i.e. treat the camera as a black box?
> Jos

I understood that some techniques like this were used for early Hubble
images, but they still had an expensive trip to fit a correcting lens!

Phil

Mark≤

"P.R.Brady" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Isn't it possible to somehow measure the distortion for a particular
> > lense, using a known calibration pattern that is photographed and then
> > apply a system-theory approach, i.e. treat the camera as a black box?
> > Jos
> >

> I understood that some techniques like this were used for early Hubble
> images, but they still had an expensive trip to fit a correcting lens!

Which indicates that it doesn't work well...

Bill The Cat

This is not true, or at least there is an exception. Several blurred images of the same subject taken from the same position at the same time (i.e., same composition, exposure, etc) can be combined together to form a much sharper image. This technique is used in several areas, including astrophotography. Of course if you only have 1 picture to work with, well that's all the data you have to operate with and while you may be able to sharpen the image, there is always a trade-off, and you will loose quality in another aspect of the image.

nntp://free.teranews.com/rec.photo.digital/<SoVtd.23$(E-Mail Removed)>

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Isn't it possible to ........treat the camera as a black box?
> Jos

No! You only have the information from the distorted picture.
--
For Welsh Military Flying visit .......

[rec.photo.digital]