Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best digital for wildlife shots?

Best digital for wildlife shots?

Ray Muensch

Hi,

Which digital camera (under $400 or so) do you recommend for wildlife/nature
shots, in addition to everyday regular family & vacation pics? I'd like it
to be able to take nice macro shots, as well as have a decent zoom range.

Thanks,

Ray

Bob Williams

Ray Muensch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Which digital camera (under $400 or so) do you recommend for wildlife/nature
> shots, in addition to everyday regular family & vacation pics? I'd like it
> to be able to take nice macro shots, as well as have a decent zoom range.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

Take a look at the Canon S1-IS
It is a 3.1 MP, 10X Optical zoom WITH Image Stabilization (IS).
IMHO, (IS) is a necessity for hand held shots at 10X
For about $100 more you can get a Panasonic FZ20.
It is a 5 MP, 12X Optical Zoom WITH Image Stabilization
For wildlife, I think a high power optical Zoom with (IS) is the most
important feature you should have, simply because it is usually very
difficult to get close enough to wild creatures to capture any detail
without substantial Tele capability.
Check out the specs on these cameras at:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fz20.html
Bob Williams

Bob

Jim Handy

For a bit more you could get the Konica Minolta Z2 Dimage. 4 Mega pixel,
10X Optical. Took several pictures of ravens flying over the Grand Canyon
at Toroweap and got great pictures.

"Ray Muensch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsCTsd.9685$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> Hi,
>
> Which digital camera (under $400 or so) do you recommend for
> wildlife/nature
> shots, in addition to everyday regular family & vacation pics? I'd like it
> to be able to take nice macro shots, as well as have a decent zoom range.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

Phil Wheeler

The Canon S1 IS is one (there are others). Has a 10x optical image
stabilized zoom -- and zoom is needed for that; equiv fl is 38-380mm.
Also can focus very close for macro shots. Has a TTL EVF viewfinder for
accurate compostion. Has been $399 recently but I saw an ad at $349 on
the weekend.

I have one and like it (and also have a 300D and 20D)

Phil

Ray Muensch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Which digital camera (under $400 or so) do you recommend for wildlife/nature
> shots, in addition to everyday regular family & vacation pics? I'd like it
> to be able to take nice macro shots, as well as have a decent zoom range.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

Annika1980

>From: "Ray Muensch" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>Which digital camera (under $400 or so) do you recommend for wildlife/nature
>shots, in addition to everyday regular family & vacation pics? I'd like it
>to be able to take nice macro shots, as well as have a decent zoom range.

So you need a long zoom lens, in addition to macro capability, and you want all
this for under $400.
I want to win the Powerball Lottery.
Let's see who gets lucky first.

David J Taylor

Annika1980 wrote:
>> From: "Ray Muensch" (E-Mail Removed)

>> Which digital camera (under $400 or so) do you recommend for
>> wildlife/nature shots, in addition to everyday regular family &
>> vacation pics? I'd like it to be able to take nice macro shots, as
>> well as have a decent zoom range.

> So you need a long zoom lens, in addition to macro capability, and
> you want all this for under $400.
> I want to win the Powerball Lottery.
> Let's see who gets lucky first.

Canon S1 IS fit the bill?

Aerticulean Effort

David J Taylor wrote:
> Annika1980 wrote:
>
>>>From: "Ray Muensch" (E-Mail Removed)

>>>Which digital camera (under $400 or so) do you recommend for
>>>wildlife/nature shots, in addition to everyday regular family &
>>>vacation pics? I'd like it to be able to take nice macro shots, as
>>>well as have a decent zoom range.

>>So you need a long zoom lens, in addition to macro capability, and
>>you want all this for under $400.
>>I want to win the Powerball Lottery.
>>Let's see who gets lucky first.

> Canon S1 IS fit the bill?

LOL! I would say so

Other features to look for are quiet/silent running mode (no click whirrs)

If you are imaging wildlife bigger than you find an escape route as a
priority

Aerticeus

Like DJT says - s good zoom helps. If the zoom is built in it a bit
lighter to carry (compare 35mm, DSLR and ZLR equivalents - the ZLRs are
really quaite naice)

erm - lens hood? maybe a long range extension?

Hans-Georg Michna

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 01:13:12 -0600, "Ray Muensch"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Which digital camera (under $400 or so) do you recommend for wildlife/nature
>shots, in addition to everyday regular family & vacation pics? I'd like it
>to be able to take nice macro shots, as well as have a decent zoom range.

Ray,

I think the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3 is the one. Its 12x
image-stabilized zoom with 1 : 2.8 aperture throughout the zoom
range beats the Canon Powershot S1 IS nicely. But the latter is
also a good, feature-rich camera. It depends on how much weight
you want to put on the more difficult wildlife photos.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Fred B.

The Canon S1 IS. I have two pages of pics (nature) from it on my website at
www.freds-place.net . It is a very impressive little camera.

"Ray Muensch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsCTsd.9685$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> Hi,
>
> Which digital camera (under $400 or so) do you recommend for

wildlife/nature
> shots, in addition to everyday regular family & vacation pics? I'd like it
> to be able to take nice macro shots, as well as have a decent zoom range.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

Aerticulean Effort

Fred B. wrote:
> The Canon S1 IS. I have two pages of pics (nature) from it on my website at
> www.freds-place.net . It is a very impressive little camera.
>
> "Ray Muensch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsCTsd.9685$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Which digital camera (under $400 or so) do you recommend for

> wildlife/nature
>
>>shots, in addition to everyday regular family & vacation pics? I'd like it
>>to be able to take nice macro shots, as well as have a decent zoom range.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Ray

Shhh!

Let's keep this little secret to ourselves

This is far too valuable to share with the big wide world

Aerticeus