Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus C8080 or Panasonic DMC-FZ20?

Olympus C8080 or Panasonic DMC-FZ20?

Richard

Well, I had my mind made up that I was going to get an Olympus C8080
but someone told me to look at the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 first. While
the OLY definitely seems more robust and has greater resolution, I am
intrigued by the large zoom range with image stabilization on the
Panasonic. I am not sure I would use the extra zoom range but it
would certainly be nice to have it available! Have any of you used
both cameras enough to offer an opinion as to which one takes better
pictures or is more forgiving? I will likely take more pictures of
grandchildren than anything else but the camera will travel on
vacations as well.

Richard

Tom Nakashima

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, I had my mind made up that I was going to get an Olympus C8080
> but someone told me to look at the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 first. While
> the OLY definitely seems more robust and has greater resolution, I am
> intrigued by the large zoom range with image stabilization on the
> Panasonic. I am not sure I would use the extra zoom range but it
> would certainly be nice to have it available! Have any of you used
> both cameras enough to offer an opinion as to which one takes better
> pictures or is more forgiving? I will likely take more pictures of
> grandchildren than anything else but the camera will travel on
> vacations as well.
>
> Richard

Richard,
I can tell you what I like and dislike about the Olympus 8080, but I have no
clue about the Panasonic DMC-FZ20.

I have owned the Olympus 8080 for 4 Months now, and have gone through it
pretty well. It was actually my 3rd choice, but after reading reviews and
going over the details, controls, I chose to purchase it. I take it you know
your digital cameras or else you wouldn't be looking at this model.

Some of the things I like about the Olympus 8080;
Of course you know the lens is non interchangeable, which I prefer, the
range coverage is adequate and dust free. Very fast start-up times. Well
designed easy to get to controls. Electronic view finder. Long battery
life. Fast zoom and focus. Resolution excellent! Color balance excellent,
but read below. These are some of the key things that I like about the
camera.

Now for some of the things I overlooked.
I wished the viewing in different light conditions were compensated in the
view finder or monitor as in the Canon digitals, where you could quickly see
the color balance at a glance. With the Olympus 8080, you don't get to see
the color balance until the shot is taken, but I'll have to say the
correction is done well. Scares me that I can't view it first.

As with most digital cameras, you can change ISO at will. This is very
important in low light situations. (Oh btw, a monopod is a must! The
Monfrotto 676B with the 3232 tilt head is a perfect choice). You have the
compensation dial to increase or decrease the stops which comes in handy.
However the max on the ISO is only at 400. I wished they could have pushed
it to 800 or 1600. But the resolution at 400 is excellent, so they must
have done this for that reason. For most stage lighting it's good enough.

Olympus software picture package; junk it!
The provided XC card; junk it! The camera accepts both XC and Compact Flash,
but defaults to the XC card unless you pull it out. Buy a compact flash card
and leave the XC slot empty.

The provided lens hood will cause vignetting at wide angle. They won't tell
you this, I found out the hard way.

The normal complaints, don't need all the bells and whistles like; portrait
mode, sports mode, night mode. I wish they would omit these nonsense
buttons. When you get to the high end of digital cameras, the photographer
should know how to use the camera to compensate for these situations.

Overall, it's a user's camera that will take a beating, takes excellent
quality photographs.
Controls you can learn in one evening. Electronic view finder is awesome,
and to toggle back and forth is a breeze and a must.

Any more questions about the Olympus 8080, feel free to email me.
-tom

Terry King

In article <cp1uu9$hnf$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Well, I had my mind made up that I was going to get an Olympus C8080
> > but someone told me to look at the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 first.

Comment: I have the older Olympus C2100UZ with image stabilization. I
LOVE the 10:1 zoom, as I love to shoot faces without imposing on people,
and closeups of people during indoor events such as musical performers
and stage plays. I used to shoot with 400 film with a Nikon and long
zoom. I never had enough light or could hold the camera still enough.
The Image Stabilization is really important in those cases.

When I buy the next camera with more pels it will be a FZ20 or a
Canon S1-IS, or one of the Konica Minolta Z2 Dimage (or Z3) or A1 or A2.
It depends on your budget and your degree of need for steady long zoom
in low light.

For a 10:1 example, look at:
http://terryking.us/photos/tunisianstudies1004/
where among the long shots you will see several face shots of kids on a
class trip. Those were all taken from 20+ feet away, and none of them
knew I took the shot at the time.

For low-light stuff, see:
http://www.printroom.com/ghome.asp?d...name=terryking
which are a lot of performance shots. I never could do this kind of
stuff with earlier Nikons without Image Stabilization.

It depends on what kind of shot/environment is important to you.

But, man, I love that 10:1 !!!

--
Regards, Terry King ...On the Mediterranean in Carthage
(E-Mail Removed)

Robert

Just a few words about the 8080. I also had one for about four months and
took it back for a return.
It had several problems but it might be because I had a defective unit.

1 Several areas with multiple defective pixels.
2 Focus difficulties with approximately 5% of the photos not focused
correctly.
3 Factory settings for contrast seemed to be light,, pictures looked
underexposed.
4 Factory settings for saturation too low.
5 Flash would not pop up most of the time, required assistance with a
finger to open.
6 Cover over hot shoe was lost with normal usage.

Saving up to get the canon 20d now.
"Tom Nakashima" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cp1uu9$hnf$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

card
> and leave the XC slot empty.
>
> The provided lens hood will cause vignetting at wide angle. They won't

tell
> you this, I found out the hard way.
>
> The normal complaints, don't need all the bells and whistles like;

portrait
> mode, sports mode, night mode. I wish they would omit these nonsense
> buttons. When you get to the high end of digital cameras, the

photographer
> should know how to use the camera to compensate for these situations.
>
> Overall, it's a user's camera that will take a beating, takes excellent
> quality photographs.
> Controls you can learn in one evening. Electronic view finder is awesome,
> and to toggle back and forth is a breeze and a must.
>
> Any more questions about the Olympus 8080, feel free to email me.

chrlz@go.com

Hmm... I have the 8080 too, and would agree it's a fine camera, but
has a few minor niggles:

>1 Several areas with multiple defective pixels.

I had my first 8080 exchanged because of several hot pixels on monitor.

2 Focus difficulties with approximately 5% of the photos not focused
correctly.
Have not had any problems with focus - occasional 'errors', but in each
case with good reason. Would be nice if it was faster, but I think
only the Sony 828 is much faster.

3 Factory settings for contrast seemed to be light,, pictures looked
underexposed.
Given it can be adjusted 5 up and down.. Seems about right on mine. I
tend to underexpose by about half a stop as a general rule to avoid
blowing any highlights.

4 Factory settings for saturation too low.
As above. I like low saturation, and the colors are very natural.
Setting it to +2 or +3 will match most 'Velvia-ish' digitals!

5 Flash would not pop up most of the time, required assistance with
finger to open.
Huhhh????? It's a MANUAL popup flash - it doesn't popup automatically!

6 Cover over hot shoe was lost with normal usage.
Is that really a problem? A hotshoe cover could be easily fudged from
a bit of cardboard, if you really wanted one..

Having said all that, unless you are routinely doing enlargements to
11x17, or a lot of cropping, I think the longer zoom and the stabiliser
might sway me if I was you. Strongly advise you check out the af-times
for the Panasonic and compare them - if you are shooting kids, fast af
is *very* handy.

Dick Frederick

I have an 8080, and am generally well pleased. From what I read, Oly traded
off a large zoom range for better image quality, which is what I want. Oly
shortcomings:

1. No image stabilization, which is nice on this class of camera.
2. Excessively long shutter lag. This is really the only serious
shortcoming in my opinion.

"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:v9wud.27$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> > and leave the XC slot empty.
> >
> > The provided lens hood will cause vignetting at wide angle. They won't

> tell
> > you this, I found out the hard way.
> >
> > The normal complaints, don't need all the bells and whistles like;

> portrait
> > mode, sports mode, night mode. I wish they would omit these nonsense
> > buttons. When you get to the high end of digital cameras, the

> photographer
> > should know how to use the camera to compensate for these situations.
> >
> > Overall, it's a user's camera that will take a beating, takes excellent
> > quality photographs.
> > Controls you can learn in one evening. Electronic view finder is

awesome,
> > and to toggle back and forth is a breeze and a must.
> >
> > Any more questions about the Olympus 8080, feel free to email me.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hmm... I have the 8080 too, and would agree it's a fine camera, but
> has a few minor niggles:

> 5 Flash would not pop up most of the time, required assistance with
> finger to open.
> Huhhh????? It's a MANUAL popup flash - it doesn't popup automatically!

Flash is supposed to pop open with a button, it didn't work. Had to use a
fingernail to assist while pushing button.

Alfred Molon

In article <A4Mud.33$(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert says...

> Flash is supposed to pop open with a button, it didn't work. Had to use a
> fingernail to assist while pushing button.

Looks like you got a defective unit (also referring to the dead pixels
which Pixel Mapping should have fixed, but was unable to - I'm assuming
that you tried the Pixel Mapping feature). You should have returned the
camera under warranty.
--

Alfred Molon

Alfred Molon

In article <vjFud.1596$2r.1395@fed1read02>, Dick Frederick says...
> I have an 8080, and am generally well pleased. From what I read, Oly traded
> off a large zoom range for better image quality, which is what I want. Oly
> shortcomings:
>
> 1. No image stabilization, which is nice on this class of camera.
> 2. Excessively long shutter lag. This is really the only serious
> shortcoming in my opinion.

Add this to the shortcomings list:

3. Painfully slow card read/write times. Olympus limits the write speed
to about 1 MByte/s in the 8080, meaning that the camera takes full 12
seconds to write a RAW file (12 MByte).
Card write speed in the Olympus 5050, the predecessor of the 8080, was
2.5 MByte/s, and writing a RAW just took 3 seconds (with a fast CF
card).

and this:

4. No buffered write: after shooting a RAW you have to wait 12 seconds
before being able to shoot the next image. If there was buffering, you
could continue shooting immediately after, while the camera is writing
to the card.

The person at Olympus who took design decision Nr. 3 should be shot, and
the one who took design decision Nr. 4 should be tortured before being
shot.
--

Alfred Molon