Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Newbie: difference between Hue, Cast, Color balance and C. Temp?

Newbie: difference between Hue, Cast, Color balance and C. Temp?

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
ABC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What exactly does the Hue adjustment do?

It changes the "color" without changing the saturation or luminance.

You can turn grayish-blue into grayish-green, or grayish-orange. Any
attempt to do this with color-balance tools may fail to change the hue,
and even if the hue changes, the saturation and luminance will change
also.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
ABC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 04:26:52 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrotd:
>
>>Color balance tools change scaling. You can't scale any number greater
>>than zero to zero, and you cant scale zero to sny number that is not
>>zero.

>Oh, what on earth is that??

What is what?
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

bob

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Neither is there any way in which altering the Hue will leave /any/
> colour unaltered.
>
> Perhaps some programs introduce the concept for special effects or
> marketing?

Photoshop does it. It has application in graphic arts. I don't see a use
for it in pictorial photography.

Bob

bob

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In message <Xns95B6E4485DE1Cbobatcarolnet@216.196.97.142>,
> bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>

>>> Even if all tools worked as you thought, hue would still be in a
>>> different class than color balance tools, as there is no way to go
>>> from 0,255,0 to 0,0,255 in any of them.

>>Can you explain why you think that?

> Can you explain what it is that I "thought". Judging from your
> response, you did not understand what I wrote.

Very true, which is why I asked the followup

I understand what you wrote now, which is fairly clear, upon reflection.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

ABC

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 15:52:09 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrotd:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>ABC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 04:26:52 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrotd:
>>
>>>Color balance tools change scaling. You can't scale any number greater
>>>than zero to zero, and you cant scale zero to sny number that is not
>>>zero.

>>Oh, what on earth is that??

>What is what?

Scaling colour balance

ABC
Do not reply by email.

ABC

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 15:32:47 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrotd:

>It changes the "color" without changing the saturation or luminance.

>You can turn grayish-blue into grayish-green, or grayish-orange. Any
>attempt to do this with color-balance tools may fail to change the hue,
>and even if the hue changes, the saturation and luminance will change
>also.

Very good. Then what happens when I increase the blue in the C.
blance control?

ABC
Do not reply by email.

JPS@no.komm

In message <Xns95B7D76FB62A1bobatcarolnet@216.196.97.142>,
bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> In message <Xns95B6E4485DE1Cbobatcarolnet@216.196.97.142>,
>> bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Can you explain why you think that?

>> Can you explain what it is that I "thought". Judging from your
>> response, you did not understand what I wrote.

>Very true, which is why I asked the followup
>
>I understand what you wrote now, which is fairly clear, upon reflection.

Good thing, because I packed my computer to move on Dec 7th, and have
just set it up a couple of days ago. Being able to cook, dress, shower,
shave, make the windows opaque, listen to the stereo, etc., took
precedence over setting this computer up.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
ABC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 15:32:47 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrotd:
>
>>It changes the "color" without changing the saturation or luminance.

>>You can turn grayish-blue into grayish-green, or grayish-orange. Any
>>attempt to do this with color-balance tools may fail to change the hue,
>>and even if the hue changes, the saturation and luminance will change
>>also.

> Very good. Then what happens when I increase the blue in the C.
>blance control?

Whatever blue is present will become stronger. If it is already strong,
it will clip, losing blue detail. If you want to turn a red item blue,
you would use the hue tool instead of color balance, because the best
approximation that you could do with color balance would be to increase
the red and decrease the blue scaling, which would give you a horribly
posterized and very noisy red object, which is based on the weak red
luminance of a blue object (the hue tool would preserve the original
overall luminance and rotate the color through the color wheel).
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

David J Taylor

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
[]
> Good thing, because I packed my computer to move on Dec 7th, and have
> just set it up a couple of days ago. Being able to cook, dress,
> shower, shave, make the windows opaque, listen to the stereo, etc.,
> took precedence over setting this computer up.

Welcome back, John! I do hope that the move wasn't too traumatic!

Cheers,
David

David J. Littleboy

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> []
> > Good thing, because I packed my computer to move on Dec 7th, and have
> > just set it up a couple of days ago. Being able to cook, dress,
> > shower, shave, make the windows opaque, listen to the stereo, etc.,
> > took precedence over setting this computer up.

> Welcome back, John! I do hope that the move wasn't too traumatic!

Seconded. I was wondering where you were/what was up...

David J. Littleboy
(E-Mail Removed)
Tokyo, Japan