Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photographing in Aquarium

Photographing in Aquarium

Kim

Help.
I am using a cannon d30 and had big trouble dealing with the glare as well
as focusing.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
I am a newbie to this so speak very slowly and use small words please
Kim

BobS

It's late but....

1. Use circular polarizing filter (not linear)
2. Try to shoot glass at an angle
3. Avoid using on camera flash

Bob S.

"Kim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Help.
> I am using a cannon d30 and had big trouble dealing with the glare as well
> as focusing.
> Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
> I am a newbie to this so speak very slowly and use small words please
> Kim

Charles

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 04:18:03 GMT, "Kim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Help.
>I am using a cannon d30 and had big trouble dealing with the glare as well
>as focusing.
>Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
>I am a newbie to this so speak very slowly and use small words please
>Kim

A large institutional aquarium? Use a rubber lens shade and put the
lens shade right against the glass.

--

- Charles
-

Gadgets

> 1. Use circular polarizing filter (not linear)
As long as it is thru glass - if it is perspex, you would probably get some
pretty colours from the stresses showing up (bi-refringence)

> 2. Try to shoot glass at an angle

That, and also get close to the glass or against it if possible.

> 3. Avoid using on camera flash

Can be used for a very close subject if you're up against the glass (no
bounce into lens) - most of the flash will not pass through the tank wall
though.

4. Manual focus!

5. High ISO as required

6. White balance set to Auto or daylight possibly - may help reduce
excessive blueness of the water compared to other settings.

But... it's a tough subject and the shots won't look like the ones taken
with an underwater camera with huge strobes!

Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

George E. Cawthon

Charles wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 04:18:03 GMT, "Kim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Help.
>>I am using a cannon d30 and had big trouble dealing with the glare as well
>>as focusing.
>>Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
>>I am a newbie to this so speak very slowly and use small words please
>>Kim
>>

> A large institutional aquarium? Use a rubber lens shade and put the
> lens shade right against the glass.

or a large box or whatever but there should be no light
between the lens and the glass. A detached flash might be
nice.

Wayne J

Make sure aquarium light levels are really high and lit from inside the
aquarium and block off external light sources if possible. You need a fast
speed as well, for most aquarium fish at least 125th. However, some
compromise may be required between freezing the movement of the fish and a
low enough ISO so you don't end up with unacceptably high noise levels in
your photos. Use the highest possible ISO that will produce barely
acceptable noise levels and clean the noise up using noise Ninja or similar
program. Try and use a fast lens without flash. Maybe a 50mm f1.8 can be
found as that is a very common and inexpensive lens.

I never had a lot of luck using a flash but with the right set up of strobes
bouncing light a various angles into the aquarium you can also get very good
results. Strobes will actually freeze the movement of the fishies fins but
the photos look a little unnatural to me. Make sure the water is perfectly
clean and filtered of any tiny little particles. Any specks of debris will
show up really clearly and will have to be removed with a photo editing
program. Take lots and lots and lots of pictures as most will not turn out
very well.

Wayne

Charles

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 05:54:00 -0500, "Wayne J" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Make sure aquarium light levels are really high and lit from inside the
>aquarium and block off external light sources if possible. You need a fast
>speed as well, for most aquarium fish at least 125th. However, some
>compromise may be required between freezing the movement of the fish and a
>low enough ISO so you don't end up with unacceptably high noise levels in
>your photos. Use the highest possible ISO that will produce barely
>acceptable noise levels and clean the noise up using noise Ninja or similar
>program. Try and use a fast lens without flash. Maybe a 50mm f1.8 can be
>found as that is a very common and inexpensive lens.
>
>I never had a lot of luck using a flash but with the right set up of strobes
>bouncing light a various angles into the aquarium you can also get very good
>results. Strobes will actually freeze the movement of the fishies fins but
>the photos look a little unnatural to me. Make sure the water is perfectly
>clean and filtered of any tiny little particles. Any specks of debris will
>show up really clearly and will have to be removed with a photo editing
>program. Take lots and lots and lots of pictures as most will not turn out
>very well.
>
>Wayne

Anything that can be done can be overdone.

I can't find it now, but in one of my books around here are some
superb pictures of planted tanks. the camera used was large format,
larger than 8X10, but I don't remember exactly what it was.
--

- Charles
-

Robert Scott

I always have good luck using off-camera flash held over the top of my
55-gal tank in a dark room (eliminates reflections). I've also had some
luck putting the camera on a tripod and positioning it in a spot where the
fish usually hang out. This helps prevent fatigue from the inevitable
waiting (and waiting and waiting) for the fish to get in the right position,
etc. I move the flash around the top of the tank as necessary to get the
lighting right.

Good shooting,
Bob Scott

"Kim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Help.
> I am using a cannon d30 and had big trouble dealing with the glare as well
> as focusing.
> Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
> I am a newbie to this so speak very slowly and use small words please
> Kim

JohnR

I took a sheet of black poster board and glued black fabric on it. I folded
it up to carry in the large rear pocket of my camera case. I can hold it up
against the glass walls of cages and aquariums to block offending
reflections.
John

"Kim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Help.
> I am using a cannon d30 and had big trouble dealing with the glare as well
> as focusing.
> Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
> I am a newbie to this so speak very slowly and use small words please
> Kim

Kim

Thank you so much for your help, and for sharing info with me .

Ready for another total newbie question?

What is white balance?
I have found it in my menu and in the online manual but I would still
appreciate a description of what it is and what its for and when I need it .

TYTYTYTY
in advance.

Kim

"Kim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: Help.
: I am using a cannon d30 and had big trouble dealing with the glare as well
: as focusing.
: Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
: I am a newbie to this so speak very slowly and use small words please
: Kim
:
:

aquarium or fireplace movies Peter_L DVD Video 3 11-09-2005 07:50 PM
Aquarium Photography nuchumYussel Digital Photography 11 07-19-2004 09:12 AM
Re: Aquarium Dr. Flonkenstein HTML 0 04-20-2004 11:44 PM
How to photograph an aquarium? C.S. Digital Photography 8 03-03-2004 09:24 AM
Finding Nemo Aquarium VTS Vob Chapters solipsistic@earthlink.net DVD Video 3 11-12-2003 11:43 AM

Advertisments