Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fuji E550 not telling the truth regarding light?

Reply
Thread Tools

Fuji E550 not telling the truth regarding light?

 
 
fortknight
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2004
My understanding is that a given fstop, at a given aperture speed, at a
given ISO, at a given ambient light level, should give a similarly
exposed image regardless of camera. Correct?

Well the e550 seems slow (darker) to me, by at least a couple of stops.
In otherwords ISO 400, 1/60, f2.8 which should ordinarily be
sufficient for indoor snapshots without flash (am I wrong here, this
based on experience), but the e550 images are very dark.

Irritatingly enough (though I suppose this goes with their ISO 800 mode
which is only available on 3M images), the movie mode is sufficiently
bright indoors, even though the still photos are not.

Anyone else have this experience?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sabineellen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2004

I've written about this at length. Go to dpreview fuji talk forum and search
for my posts (username cscltr). These "very dark" images of the e550 are a
feature, not a fault.

Also, the assumption is not correct, at least in my real life experience, that
two cameras at the same settings should give the same exposed image.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
fortknight
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2004
Sabineellen wrote:

> Also, the assumption is not correct, at least in my real life experience, that
> two cameras at the same settings should give the same exposed image.


Really?!? My recollection in the film days, was that if I have two
cameras with the same film, and the same Aperture and the same shutter
setting, I should get the same amount of exposure. If I needed twice
the exposure you double the ISO, or you go down 1 full stop (f2.8 to f.2
for instance), or you doubled the length of the exposure from 1/120th to
1/60th.

Is this no longer true??? If not, why not?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sabineellen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2004

>Sabineellen wrote:
>
>> Also, the assumption is not correct, at least in my real life experience,

>that
>> two cameras at the same settings should give the same exposed image.

>
>Really?!? My recollection in the film days, was that if I have two
>cameras with the same film, and the same Aperture and the same shutter
>setting, I should get the same amount of exposure. If I needed twice
>the exposure you double the ISO, or you go down 1 full stop (f2.8 to f.2
>for instance), or you doubled the length of the exposure from 1/120th to
>1/60th.
>
>Is this no longer true??? If not, why not?
>


Film SLRs is a different story altogether. Yes, with film SLRs you're comparing
like with like. In digital compacts it just isn't so. Ideally it should be, but
in my experience, and from reviews, it just isn't. Well, it is to some extent,
but not if you really want to be perfectly accurate about it as you seem to
prefer.

Anyhow, have you been to dpreview fuji talk forum and read what I wrote there
about exposure/contrast issues for the f810/e550?

If you can't find it email me at sabineellen AT aol DOT com and I'll send you
direct links.







 
Reply With Quote
 
David Dyer-Bennet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2004
fortknight <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> My understanding is that a given fstop, at a given aperture speed, at
> a given ISO, at a given ambient light level, should give a similarly
> exposed image regardless of camera. Correct?
>
> Well the e550 seems slow (darker) to me, by at least a couple of
> stops. In otherwords ISO 400, 1/60, f2.8 which should ordinarily be
> sufficient for indoor snapshots without flash (am I wrong here, this
> based on experience), but the e550 images are very dark.


Don't know that camera, but "indoors" covers *many* f-stops of
brightness range. I've certainly found ISO 400 inadequate for many
indoor photos, and marginal even for brightly fluorescent-lit
classrooms at f2.8 (I mostly had f2 or better available).

A given ISO / shutter / aperture *should* produce pretty much the same
brightness with any standard imaging system.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <(E-Mail Removed)>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com/> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/> <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>
Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/>
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why telling the truth about climate change matters. Aardvark Computer Support 2 02-07-2010 05:14 AM
Fuji S5100 or Fuji e550? northfork500@netscape.net Digital Photography 6 03-06-2005 09:01 AM
Telling the truth at interviews for Java positions lyallex Java 14 11-24-2004 03:22 PM
Fuji F810 or E550 azscrewdriver Digital Photography 1 11-23-2004 08:03 AM
Fuji S7000 or E550? Larz F. Kremer Digital Photography 0 10-04-2004 07:17 PM



Advertisments