Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > online print services

online print services

Ian Hurst (Troyka)

i have just had some prints done with a photo box affiliate, and was
not able to print the whole image, it seems my pics even uncroped ones
are not the same size as the available print options.
is this common?
and id there an online place i can get the digital prints i want?

i use a canon A80
--------------------------
Youth Work Resources
the youth work website
http://www.youthworker.org.uk
--------------------------

Aerticeus

Ian Hurst (Troyka) wrote:

> i have just had some prints done with a photo box affiliate, and was
> not able to print the whole image, it seems my pics even uncroped ones
> are not the same size as the available print options.
> is this common?
> and id there an online place i can get the digital prints i want?
>
> i use a canon A80
> --------------------------
> Youth Work Resources
> the youth work website
> http://www.youthworker.org.uk
> --------------------------

If I am not mistaken (apologies if I am) this is to do with ratios.

One has a format ratio of 3 to 2 (sometimes written 3:2) and these will
match a 6 by 4 inch print lovely without any cropping at all.

Now the other ratio is 4 to 3 (equally 4:3) and as you may guess trying
to map a 4:3 image to a 3:2 print means that something in the image has
to go.

Then the conundrum starts. Why do digital image printers stick to a 3:2
print ratio when most digital images are taken at a 4:3 ratio?

Heck! I dunno!

The ratios are calculated usually on (long side): (short side) So a
6:4 reduces to 3:2 after division by 2

You could use your software and computer to crop digital images to match
the print size. Save the files under a different name so as not to
write over the originals ... then print

Aerticeus

Joseph Meehan

Ian Hurst (Troyka) wrote:
> i have just had some prints done with a photo box affiliate, and was
> not able to print the whole image, it seems my pics even uncroped ones
> are not the same size as the available print options.
> is this common?
> and id there an online place i can get the digital prints i want?
>
> i use a canon A80
> --------------------------
> Youth Work Resources
> the youth work website
> http://www.youthworker.org.uk
> --------------------------

Simple old problem. Same old problem with film cameras.

The original image is a certain shape (ratio of height to length) and
the print size is different. Something has to give. There are two
solutions. The paper or the image can be cropped. You can have
(additional) white space on the print or crop some of the image. You could
also stretch the image, but not many people would be happy with that.

Complicating the problem are different standard paper sized. A 8x10 is
the same shape as a 4x5 but not the same as a 5X7 and neither match the
shape of a 4x6. The cropping or white space correction is different for all
of those shapes. Add in the Metric shapes outside North America and you get
a feeling for the problem.

No one image shape is going to fit all the paper shapes. Even a paper
shape changes as an even size border is added.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Paul Dougherty

Try www.winkflash.com $0.16 for 4X6" prints. I have had great luck
with them. They use fuji crystal archive.

Paul

"Ian Hurst (Troyka)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> i have just had some prints done with a photo box affiliate, and was
> not able to print the whole image, it seems my pics even uncroped ones
> are not the same size as the available print options.
> is this common?
> and id there an online place i can get the digital prints i want?
>
> i use a canon A80
> --------------------------
> Youth Work Resources
> the youth work website
> http://www.youthworker.org.uk
> --------------------------

Jeremy

"Aerticeus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d4Zrd.104$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Why do digital image printers stick to a 3:2
> print ratio when most digital images are taken at a 4:3 ratio?
>
> Heck! I dunno!

When Oscar Barnack developed the 35mm format for the original Leica, he
based his calculations on the fact that the human eye sees in about that
same aspect ratio. Also, painters for hundreds of years have used canvas
sized to approximately the same ratio (the "Golden Mean").

We have become used to this aspect ratio. Prints that are too long or too
wide seem uncomfortable to view.

I have always preferred the 35mm aspect ratio over my Medium Format square
negative ratio.

williamregan@yahoo.com

I just ordered some digital prints from Mystic photo who I've used for
film prints. If you order 4X6 prints, when you check out they give you
the option of changing to 4X5.3 to avoid cropping. I don't know how
good of a job they do though since this is my first order with them and
probably my last because they charge 29 cents per print.

http://www.mysticcolorlab.com/

Bill

Jeremy wrote:
> "Aerticeus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d4Zrd.104$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Why do digital image printers stick to a 3:2
> > print ratio when most digital images are taken at a 4:3 ratio?
> >
> > Heck! I dunno!
> >

> When Oscar Barnack developed the 35mm format for the original Leica,

he
> based his calculations on the fact that the human eye sees in about

that
> same aspect ratio. Also, painters for hundreds of years have used

canvas
> sized to approximately the same ratio (the "Golden Mean").
>
> We have become used to this aspect ratio. Prints that are too long

or too
> wide seem uncomfortable to view.
>
> I have always preferred the 35mm aspect ratio over my Medium Format

square
> negative ratio.

Ian Hurst (Troyka)

Troyka Makes everyone a cup of Earl Grey tea while we hear what
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) has to say
>I just ordered some digital prints from Mystic photo who I've used for
>film prints. If you order 4X6 prints, when you check out they give you
>the option of changing to 4X5.3 to avoid cropping. I don't know how
>good of a job they do though since this is my first order with them and
>probably my last because they charge 29 cents per print.
>
>http://www.mysticcolorlab.com/

personally i never bother with such small prints i always go for 7x5
as the smallest but prefer 8x6

'Nobody made a greater mistake
than he who did nothing because
he could do only a little.'