Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > epson 2200 - Velvet art paper

epson 2200 - Velvet art paper

Gene Palmiter

I am setting up my first print with my new Epson 2200. I have Epson's Velvet
Fine Art Paper. The instructions say to print on the brightest side. I see
one side as more textured than the other...but not really brighter. The
texture causes more shadowing if I side light it...but its not really
darker. Anyone know if they really mean to print on the smoother side?

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

Neal Margolis

I've used this paper and cannot for the life of me see any significant
difference between one side and the other. I suspect that the
instructions have been cut, pasted -- and not edited -- from something
else

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 02:30:21 GMT, "Gene Palmiter"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am setting up my first print with my new Epson 2200. I have Epson's Velvet
>Fine Art Paper. The instructions say to print on the brightest side. I see
>one side as more textured than the other...but not really brighter. The
>texture causes more shadowing if I side light it...but its not really
>darker. Anyone know if they really mean to print on the smoother side?

Neal Margolis / http://www.skillware.com / http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) / 415-845-1847

MarkČ

"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I am setting up my first print with my new Epson 2200. I have Epson's

Velvet
> Fine Art Paper. The instructions say to print on the brightest side. I see
> one side as more textured than the other...but not really brighter. The
> texture causes more shadowing if I side light it...but its not really
> darker. Anyone know if they really mean to print on the smoother side?
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Gene Palmiter
> (visit my photo gallery at http://palmiter.dotphoto.com)
> freebridge design group
> www.route611.com & Route 611 Magazine

I haven't yet used that particular paper, but I generally find that with
most papers, the more textured side is the print side (except for glossy, of
course!).

Here are two tips I've read elsewhere that I've found to be generally true
as well:

1. Wet your finger slightly, and touch it to a far corner (where the
printer won't print anyway)...the printable side tends to be slightly sticky
compared to the non-print side.

2. Take a sharpie pen and make a tiny line (again on a far unusable
corner). The ink will bleed/spread slightly on the non-print side, but will
stay sharp as a tack on the print-side (due to coating).

-Mark

gsum

Is it roll or sheet? If its roll, you print on the outside of the roll.
The back of the paper has a slightly yellow (and I mean slight)
when viewed in daylight. They look identical in artificial light.
Try a test print. If you get it wrong the print will be of poor quality
and you'll have lost only a little ink.

Graham

"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I am setting up my first print with my new Epson 2200. I have Epson's

Velvet
> Fine Art Paper. The instructions say to print on the brightest side. I see
> one side as more textured than the other...but not really brighter. The
> texture causes more shadowing if I side light it...but its not really
> darker. Anyone know if they really mean to print on the smoother side?
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Gene Palmiter
> (visit my photo gallery at http://palmiter.dotphoto.com)
> freebridge design group
> www.route611.com & Route 611 Magazine

Gene Palmiter

"gsum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41b01cf0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it roll or sheet? If its roll, you print on the outside of the roll.
> The back of the paper has a slightly yellow (and I mean slight)
> when viewed in daylight. They look identical in artificial light.
> Try a test print. If you get it wrong the print will be of poor quality
> and you'll have lost only a little ink.

Its sheet...and the prints look fine...but they are my first and I don't
know if the other side does better. I will go outside and see if I can
tell....I work in a basement with low watt incandescent bulbs....its all
yellow.

Bill Hilton

>From: "Gene Palmiter" (E-Mail Removed)

>I am setting up my first print with my new Epson 2200. I have Epson's Velvet
>Fine Art Paper.

Ah, my favorite paper for the Ultrachrome inks ... wish they made it in 17x22"
sheets!

>The instructions say to print on the brightest side. I see
>one side as more textured than the other...but not really brighter.

You have to shine a really bright light on it to see the difference. Helps to
take two sheets out and flip one, then you can see the difference a bit easier.

>Anyone know if they really mean to print on the smoother side?

If you're not sure print on both sides, the non-coated side will be very dull
in comparison.

Bill

Bill Hilton

>From: Neal Margolis (E-Mail Removed)

>I've used this paper and cannot for the life of me see any significant
>difference between one side and the other.

If you print on the non-coated side you'll see a giant difference in image
quality ... I used to use the original Somerset Velvet paper, which was
non-coated so you could print both sides, so when I first used VFA I didn't
realize it was single-sided and printed on the wrong side by mistake. The
prints are very dull and unsaturated if you do this, trust me.

Gene Palmiter

As I have been in printing (offest, letterpress, screen) for decades and now
doing DTP, I have the habit of deciding how I want to end up before I decide
how to start. It also applies that I studied the Zone through books by Minor
White and Ansel Adams and am comfortable with previsualization...so I really
do "see" my print on the wall of my mind before I take a shot. Anyway,
before I printed anything I went to my framer and we discussed how big I
should print. We decided that if I printed 12.25x16.25 it would fit a 2 inch
wide mat and the whole would fit a 16x20 frame. I have never printed that
size before and was pleasantly surprised that it's just about full frame for
my Oly E-10. I have been having my work printed 8x10 and 11x17 where I loose
a bit, so it is nice that I don't have to loose anything significant.

It is my contention that we have a new artistic media and have to establish
our own esthetic....just as the f64 group did 80 years ago with photography.
Things that we can do that was not generally possible before include
Graphics and Type with photos. We also tend to use color in our prints more
than artistic photographers of the past. I also don't limit myself to just
photographs. I make images from scratch using Photoshop and
Illustrator...and even Indesign if mixing output from several sources. One
thing I am thinking about now is how to label and sign my work. Generally a
photograph is not signed in the image area...while a paint is. Output from a
inkjet is a cross between the two and I have to decide how I will sign it. I
am just about decided that I will sign in the print area like a painting. I
am printing just one of everything...no limited editions. If I want more
than one I will re-Photoshop it so that each is bound to be different from
the others. These are, in my mind more original than they are prints...and a
higher purchase price is justified. Any thoughts?