Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Just bought an Olympus (Ferrari?).

Just bought an Olympus (Ferrari?).

PeterL

Was in HK and my nephew recommended this new Olympus model. He said it was
about HK$6,000 (approx. US $700). So I went to this store and took a look.
They were selling this model for HK$2000 (approx. US $300). What a bargain,
and with world-wide warranty.

Came back and did a web search. This model is marketed in the US as the
Olympus Ferrari, selling for US $699. The only difference is that mine is
not red. Now no one is going buy this 3 mgp thing for that amount of money.
But at $300 it's a good buy.

I am able to buy the 256mg picture card. But what I really need is a
charging cable. The camera came with a charging stand that is bulky and
difficult to carry if you are traveling. I need a light weight power cable
that I can pack.

Does anyone know where I can find such an item. Browsing the Olympus web
site did not reveal such an accessory.

Ben Thomas

PeterL wrote:
> Was in HK and my nephew recommended this new Olympus model. He said it was
> about HK$6,000 (approx. US $700). So I went to this store and took a look.
> They were selling this model for HK$2000 (approx. US $300). What a bargain,
> and with world-wide warranty.
>
> Came back and did a web search. This model is marketed in the US as the
> Olympus Ferrari, selling for US $699. The only difference is that mine is
> not red. Now no one is going buy this 3 mgp thing for that amount of money.
> But at $300 it's a good buy.
>
> I am able to buy the 256mg picture card. But what I really need is a
> charging cable. The camera came with a charging stand that is bulky and
> difficult to carry if you are traveling. I need a light weight power cable
> that I can pack.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find such an item. Browsing the Olympus web
> site did not reveal such an accessory.

Does the manual mention anything about a DC power socket on the camera and the
voltage and current you need to supply to it?

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37PD, DGTEC 2000A, Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.

PeterL

"Ben Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newskcooc.qjj.ln@192.168.11.2...
> PeterL wrote:
> > Was in HK and my nephew recommended this new Olympus model. He said it

was
> > about HK$6,000 (approx. US $700). So I went to this store and took a

look.
> > They were selling this model for HK$2000 (approx. US $300). What a

bargain,
> > and with world-wide warranty.
> >
> > Came back and did a web search. This model is marketed in the US as the
> > Olympus Ferrari, selling for US $699. The only difference is that mine

is
> > not red. Now no one is going buy this 3 mgp thing for that amount of

money.
> > But at $300 it's a good buy.
> >
> > I am able to buy the 256mg picture card. But what I really need is a
> > charging cable. The camera came with a charging stand that is bulky and
> > difficult to carry if you are traveling. I need a light weight power

cable
> > that I can pack.
> >
> > Does anyone know where I can find such an item. Browsing the Olympus

web
> > site did not reveal such an accessory.
> >

> Does the manual mention anything about a DC power socket on the camera and

the
> voltage and current you need to supply to it?

Yes there is a reference to a charging cable one can purchase, in addition
to the charging station that came with it. The voltage of the charging
station is variable (from 120 to 240). Using a plug converter (not a
voltage converter) I can use the charging station here in the US without any
problems.

I'll have to check to see if there is a standard DC power socket in addition
to what seems like a proprietory socket that plugs into the charging
station.

> --
> Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia
>
> My Digital World:
> Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
> Hitachi 37PD, DGTEC 2000A, Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
> Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.
>
> Disclaimer:
> Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
> relate to the official business of my employer shall be understood as

neither