Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Thumbs Plus destroys EXIF?

Thumbs Plus destroys EXIF?

Terry Pinnell

I use Thumbs Plus 4.50-R Build 2041 (about 3 years old). Recalling
that this program was one of few that preserved EXIF data, I opened a
photo, fresh from camera and containing full EXIF data, rotated it a
few degrees and cropped it to remove the inevitable triangular slices.
I did *not* enable the option in the JPEG save dialog to remove EXIF
data. But after saving, EXIF was gone.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

YoYo

Yes and so do alot of other older programs.

Trick is to edit and save as a new file then the original isn't stripped of
its exif data

"Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use Thumbs Plus 4.50-R Build 2041 (about 3 years old). Recalling
> that this program was one of few that preserved EXIF data, I opened a
> photo, fresh from camera and containing full EXIF data, rotated it a
> few degrees and cropped it to remove the inevitable triangular slices.
> I did *not* enable the option in the JPEG save dialog to remove EXIF
> data. But after saving, EXIF was gone.
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

Terry Pinnell

"YoYo" <_> wrote:

>Yes and so do alot of other older programs.
>
>Trick is to edit and save as a new file then the original isn't stripped of
>its exif data

Naturally, this was a copy! Original still has its EXIF. But
cross-checking to get the date/time a photo was taken is a PITA. I
also use EXIFER, which can BU and restore EXIF. But my key point was
that TP seems to ignore its own option setting ;-(

(I've emailed the developer too.)

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Jack Hoying

I use ThumbsPlus 7 and have never had a problem like you mentioned. It's
probably something to do with the older version. I started with version 3.5
years ago and that was before I had a digital, so I never paid attention to
EXIF until the last couple years. If you haven't tried the newer version of
ThumbsPlus, you are missing lots of enhancements. I wouldn't want to do
without it!

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio
http://www.pbase.com/jmhoying

"Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I use Thumbs Plus 4.50-R Build 2041 (about 3 years old). Recalling
> that this program was one of few that preserved EXIF data, I opened a
> photo, fresh from camera and containing full EXIF data, rotated it a
> few degrees and cropped it to remove the inevitable triangular slices.
> I did *not* enable the option in the JPEG save dialog to remove EXIF
> data. But after saving, EXIF was gone.
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

Terry Pinnell

"Jack Hoying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use ThumbsPlus 7 and have never had a problem like you mentioned. It's
>probably something to do with the older version. I started with version 3.5
>years ago and that was before I had a digital, so I never paid attention to
>EXIF until the last couple years. If you haven't tried the newer version of
>ThumbsPlus, you are missing lots of enhancements. I wouldn't want to do
>without it!

Thanks Jack, guess I should seriously consider an upgrade.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Eric Gill

Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> "Jack Hoying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I use ThumbsPlus 7 and have never had a problem like you mentioned.
>>It's probably something to do with the older version. I started with
>>version 3.5 years ago and that was before I had a digital, so I never
>>paid attention to EXIF until the last couple years. If you haven't
>>tried the newer version of ThumbsPlus, you are missing lots of
>>enhancements. I wouldn't want to do without it!

> Thanks Jack, guess I should seriously consider an upgrade.

You definately should. Either 6 or 7 introduced a wonderful speed increase,
and he's not kidding - there have been a metric crapload of new features
added since 4.5.

Cerious has their own newsserver and groups, btw. Go to the cerious site to
find out how to use them.

Michael Meissner

"YoYo" <_> writes:

> Yes and so do alot of other older programs.
>
> Trick is to edit and save as a new file then the original isn't stripped of
> its exif data
>
> "Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I use Thumbs Plus 4.50-R Build 2041 (about 3 years old). Recalling
> > that this program was one of few that preserved EXIF data, I opened a
> > photo, fresh from camera and containing full EXIF data, rotated it a
> > few degrees and cropped it to remove the inevitable triangular slices.
> > I did *not* enable the option in the JPEG save dialog to remove EXIF
> > data. But after saving, EXIF was gone.

The command line utility jhead has options to copy the EXIF information from
one file to another, so assuming you have a copy of the original, you could
restore the information:

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Terry Pinnell

Michael Meissner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"YoYo" <_> writes:
>
>> Yes and so do alot of other older programs.
>>
>> Trick is to edit and save as a new file then the original isn't stripped of
>> its exif data
>>
>> "Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I use Thumbs Plus 4.50-R Build 2041 (about 3 years old). Recalling
>> > that this program was one of few that preserved EXIF data, I opened a
>> > photo, fresh from camera and containing full EXIF data, rotated it a
>> > few degrees and cropped it to remove the inevitable triangular slices.
>> > I did *not* enable the option in the JPEG save dialog to remove EXIF
>> > data. But after saving, EXIF was gone.

>The command line utility jhead has options to copy the EXIF information from
>one file to another, so assuming you have a copy of the original, you could
>restore the information:
>
>http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/

Thanks a lot, looks interesting. Downloaded and will try shortly.

Did you also try EXIFER?
http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Michael Meissner

Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Michael Meissner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >The command line utility jhead has options to copy the EXIF information from
> >one file to another, so assuming you have a copy of the original, you could
> >restore the information:
> >
> >http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/

> Thanks a lot, looks interesting. Downloaded and will try shortly.
>
> Did you also try EXIFER?
> http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/

No. I do all of my processing on Linux, and I have never gotten around to
installing Wine to be able to run Windows programs.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)
http://www.the-meissners.org

Terry Pinnell

"Jack Hoying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use ThumbsPlus 7 and have never had a problem like you mentioned. It's
>probably something to do with the older version. I started with version 3.5
>years ago and that was before I had a digital, so I never paid attention to
>EXIF until the last couple years. If you haven't tried the newer version of
>ThumbsPlus, you are missing lots of enhancements. I wouldn't want to do
>without it!

I have now upgraded to TP7. But it seems that the original problem I
raised remains!

This time I resized a digicam photo. But, although once again I was
careful *not* to enable 'Remove file information (EXIF, IPTC)' while
saving that JPG under anew name , the EXIF info still disappeared.
(And there was no green 'i' icon underneath the thumbnail.)

From your earlier reply I take it this does not happen to you? Can you
or anyone else confirm by reproducing the simple test I described
above please, and advise exactly what steps you take?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK