Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Royal Camera & Video doesn't honor posted prices

Royal Camera & Video doesn't honor posted prices

Carol Ane A. Bloomquist

Royal Camera & Video of Brooklyn, NY, will not honor its WEB posted
prices. This company uses discounted prices advertised for the Canon
EOS 1D Mark II DSLR, $2999.00, to lure customers into ordering. When
the invoice arrives, they charge the full undiscounted US price,
$4199.99.
I got stung by this racket, and am pursuing getting my credit card
company to fight for me, hopefully to force these crooks to honor
their advertised price to me.
Beware!

Michael A. Covington

"Carol Ane A. Bloomquist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Royal Camera & Video of Brooklyn, NY, will not honor its WEB posted
> prices. This company uses discounted prices advertised for the Canon
> EOS 1D Mark II DSLR, $2999.00, to lure customers into ordering. When
> the invoice arrives, they charge the full undiscounted US price,
> $4199.99.
> I got stung by this racket, and am pursuing getting my credit card
> company to fight for me, hopefully to force these crooks to honor
> their advertised price to me.
> Beware!

Pursue it with the New York attorney general too.

And above all, preserve evidence. If the ad exists only as a web page, then
guess what? They can change it at a moment's notice, and you can't prove
that any copy you made of it is genuine.

You could however still convince a jury that you wouldn't have ordered from
them if the price had not been lower than other major retailers. So that's
a fact worth establishing.

MarkČ

"Carol Ane A. Bloomquist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Royal Camera & Video of Brooklyn, NY, will not honor its WEB posted
> prices. This company uses discounted prices advertised for the Canon
> EOS 1D Mark II DSLR, $2999.00, to lure customers into ordering. When
> the invoice arrives, they charge the full undiscounted US price,
> $4199.99.
> I got stung by this racket, and am pursuing getting my credit card
> company to fight for me, hopefully to force these crooks to honor
> their advertised price to me.
> Beware!

Before you throw your money at another KNOWN scam shop, check here.
You'd have been steered clear of these scammers.

datebirk

Chances are you'll get *some* of your money back, but it will take weeks (or
months) and you'll never get the camera from them at their advertised price.

Check out their customer reviews at http://www.resellerratings.com and
http://www.photo.net.

"Carol Ane A. Bloomquist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I got stung by this racket, and am pursuing getting my credit card
> company to fight for me, hopefully to force these crooks to honor
> their advertised price to me.
> Beware!

Tony

Send the camera back. You will NEVER get them to honour the advertised price
and there are always fairly hidden gotchas to keep them from having to do
so. The credit card company will only refund your money to you and only then
if you return the item. There is usually a fairly short amount of time in
which you can do this so call them tomorrow (your credit card company) and
get the process started. You will have to return the item insured and
tracked or they will simply deny that it ever came back. You'll end up out
the shipping, but that is a pretty small loss considering what those sharks
might have done to you.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Carol Ane A. Bloomquist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Royal Camera & Video of Brooklyn, NY, will not honor its WEB posted
> prices. This company uses discounted prices advertised for the Canon
> EOS 1D Mark II DSLR, $2999.00, to lure customers into ordering. When
> the invoice arrives, they charge the full undiscounted US price,
> $4199.99.
> I got stung by this racket, and am pursuing getting my credit card
> company to fight for me, hopefully to force these crooks to honor
> their advertised price to me.
> Beware!

Don Dunlap

"Carol Ane A. Bloomquist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Royal Camera & Video of Brooklyn, NY, will not honor its WEB posted
> prices. This company uses discounted prices advertised for the Canon
> EOS 1D Mark II DSLR, $2999.00, to lure customers into ordering. When
> the invoice arrives, they charge the full undiscounted US price,
> $4199.99.
> I got stung by this racket, and am pursuing getting my credit card
> company to fight for me, hopefully to force these crooks to honor
> their advertised price to me.
> Beware!

Adopt the philosophy, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably
isn't!!!!"

Don Dunlap

BG250

What totally amazes me is how these NY scam shops stay in business so long
and how this style of business has thrived for so many years (sucker born
every minute?). Before the WWW, their main route to sales were their ads in
the backs of photo magazines. I believe the government should not get
involved with business anymore than it is, but maybe an exception here.

There are good guys though. B&H, Adorama, and KEH (not in NY) are the ones
I'm familiar with.
bg

"Carol Ane A. Bloomquist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Royal Camera & Video of Brooklyn, NY, will not honor its WEB posted
> prices. This company uses discounted prices advertised for the Canon
> EOS 1D Mark II DSLR, $2999.00, to lure customers into ordering. When
> the invoice arrives, they charge the full undiscounted US price,
> $4199.99.
> I got stung by this racket, and am pursuing getting my credit card
> company to fight for me, hopefully to force these crooks to honor
> their advertised price to me.
> Beware!

Michael A. Covington

"BG250" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What totally amazes me is how these NY scam shops stay in business so long
> and how this style of business has thrived for so many years (sucker born
> every minute?). Before the WWW, their main route to sales were their ads
> in
> the backs of photo magazines. I believe the government should not get
> involved with business anymore than it is, but maybe an exception here.

A certain kind of regulation is necessary for freedom. In order to have a
free market, you have to have an authority that prevents fraud and false
advertising, so that people have the freedom to make the deals they actually
want to make.

I suggest that anyone who identifies a photo scammer should write to his/her
Congressman. Government is ignoring something that government ought not to
ignore. Crime is crime and fraud is fraud. A set of congressional hearings
would be a good thing.

DFS

> Adopt the philosophy, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably
> isn't!!!!"
>
> Don Dunlap

Another good philosophy for many here to consider adopting:

If I'm too stupid to realize that Don's suggested philosophy makes REAL
sense, I ought not be allowed to play with REAL money.

ds

Michael A. Covington

"DFS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> Adopt the philosophy, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably
>> isn't!!!!"
>>
>> Don Dunlap

I think what's going on is that fraudsters are being assisted by Internet
search engines that find the lowest advertised price - regardless of who's
advertising it.

Expanding on what Don said, if it were possible to sell the product reliably
for a price 15% lower than B&H, Adorama, and Samy's, then how would B&H,
Adorama, and Samy's stay in business? The answer: The people with lower
prices aren't really selling the product.