Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Royal Camera & Video doesn't honor posted prices

Royal Camera & Video doesn't honor posted prices

Big Bill

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 21:31:12 -0800, "Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:abpsd.547$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> "Gary Eickmeier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:IPSrd.112145$(E-Mail Removed) m...

>>> PopPhoto couldn't care less. These guys, and others like them, have been
>>> advertising for years under a variety of names, PopPhoto has never done
>>> anything to enforce their supposed policy of ethics, despite numerous and
>>> constant complaints.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Skip Middleton
>>> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

>> Wow! I'm shocked to hear you say this If Popular Photography (or any
>> of the other magazines that carry these thieves advertisements) enforced
>> their policy then they would no longer receive the advertising income paid
>> by Royal. That would be against Popular Photography's best interest and
>> they could care less about their reader's interests.
>>

>(Shrug) No kidding, but I was just pointing out to the PP (PreviousPoster)
>the futility of complaining, not the reason for the futility. But I'll
>reiterate what I said in a subsequent post, if the legit vendors threatened
>to pull their ads because the slimeballs make them look uncompetitive, maybe
>PopPhoto would listen to them. They certainly have no incentive to listen
>to their readers...

Well, they do. (Long message follows...)
Most commercial enterprises, the publishers of Pop Photo included,
exist to make money for their owners.
For magazines such as Pop Photo, who actually brings in the money? The
readers, or the advertisers?
At first glance, it would seem the answer is the advertisers, since
what the readers pay for the mag doesn't make much of a dent in the
costs of publication, much less add to the prifit.
Yet the real answer is both; with no readers, the adveritisers won't
pay. If readership goes down, so do the rates the advertisers pay.
Thus, there's a real incentive to listen to the readers; if they feel
they aren't getting value for what they pay for the mag, or worse,
that the mag is contributing to their being ripped off, they won't buy
the magazine, and ad revenue goes down.
Note, I'm saying there is the incentive, not that the incentive is
actually doing any good.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"