Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Night photography tips

Night photography tips

TonyH

Anyone that can advise me on some good manual camera settings and/or
techniqes for digital night photography?

YAG-ART

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 19:41:11 -0000, "TonyH" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Anyone that can advise me on some good manual camera settings and/or
>techniqes for digital night photography?

Depends on what your taking a photo of. A good tripod helps.

Crownfield

TonyH wrote:

> Anyone that can advise me on some good manual camera settings and/or
> techniqes for digital night photography?

hard to give you settings until we see what you are doing.

same rules as for film, only easier.

tripod is good.
higher asa can be good.
white balance- custom can be good.

think. if it looks as bright here as there,
you can try metering either place.
your meter and your judgement are your allies.

after a trial shot,
manual exposure and adjustment may work well.

asa 1600, 1/60, and 2.8
work as a starting point in dimly lit areas,
like dim lobbies.

turbo

> > Anyone that can advise me on some good manual camera settings and/or
> > techniqes for digital night photography?

> hard to give you settings until we see what you are doing.
>
> same rules as for film, only easier.
>
> tripod is good.
> higher asa can be good.
> white balance- custom can be good.
>
> think. if it looks as bright here as there,
> you can try metering either place.
> your meter and your judgement are your allies.
>
> after a trial shot,
> manual exposure and adjustment may work well.
>
> asa 1600, 1/60, and 2.8
> work as a starting point in dimly lit areas,
> like dim lobbies.

Take a small torch with you, trying to read LCD's in low light and small
screens is a pain.. (presuming your camera has some sort of 'settings
LCD)......Use timer release of the shutter, even on a tripod to avoid that
camera shake at the start of exposure.

TonyH

Thanks for the replies so far.

One main reason is for Las Vegas, obviously pics of the hotels at night etc.
Also general night photography on mainly still subjects.

I am using a Canan Powershot A70 3.2 megapixel camera.

Thank You

"YAG-ART" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 19:41:11 -0000, "TonyH" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Anyone that can advise me on some good manual camera settings and/or
>>techniqes for digital night photography?
>>

> Depends on what your taking a photo of. A good tripod helps.

grizzly@bear.com

Bright city street 1/30sec f2.8
Night-club lights 1/30sec f2.8
Neon signs 1/30sec f4
Subjects by street light 1/4sec f2
Floodlight buildings 1sec f4
Skyline buildings 4sec f2.8
Skyline 10 mins after sunset 1/30sec f4
Fairs/amusement parks 1/5sec f2
Park rides 4sec f16
Fireworks 10sec f16
Burning building 1/30sec f2.8
Campfire 1/30sec f2.8
Subject by campfire 1/8sec f2
Moonlight landscapes 30sec f2
Snow scenes 15sec f2
Exposing the moon 1/125sec f8

These values are intended as a guide only. Bracketing exposures around
thses settings should produce acceptable results.

Tony

This is film based but digital based is simpler (except that many cameras
cannot do looooooong exposures so those are out. Just follow the guidelines
and adjust exposure according to results.
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/mani/techs/mniteshot.html

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"TonyH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41ae1e57$0$1065$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone that can advise me on some good manual camera settings and/or
> techniqes for digital night photography?

David Dyer-Bennet

"TonyH" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Anyone that can advise me on some good manual camera settings and/or
> techniqes for digital night photography?

The one really key point: use a tripod.

Then, what are you photographing? Las Vegas level neon? Moonlit
landscape? Cityscape with car lights? Fireworks? Lightning?

An important point with car lights and fireworks and other *quickly
moving* light sources: The aperture largely controls *how thick a
line* the moving light traces. The shutter speed controls how many or
how long the lines are, NOT how bright they are.

For most of these, fairly slow ISO settings, like 100, work very
nicely.

With digital, you get immediate feedback, and at night have little
trouble seeing the LCD (but remember it's gonna look tremendously
bright; use the histogram!), so get out there and play around!

Ken Tough

>Moonlight landscapes 30sec f2

>These values are intended as a guide only. Bracketing exposures around
>thses settings should produce acceptable results.

Surely that would vary by maybe 4 or 5 stops depending on the
moon phase?

--
Ken Tough

Ron Hunter

TonyH wrote:
> Thanks for the replies so far.
>
> One main reason is for Las Vegas, obviously pics of the hotels at night etc.
> Also general night photography on mainly still subjects.
>
> I am using a Canan Powershot A70 3.2 megapixel camera.
>
> Thank You

As mentioned before, a good tripod. Use the camera's 'night' setting,
if it has one, or the shutter priority setting, and do a lot of
experimenting. You may need a better camera for really good shots under
the difficult conditions you describe.