Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > UK Camera Insurance

UK Camera Insurance

Matt

Any recommendations for companies who provide good camera insurance. Such
as theft, and accidental damage? Cover will also need to cover travelling
abroad occasionally.

Cheers.

teflon

On 29/11/04 4:37 pm, in article cofivl$jek$(E-Mail Removed), "Matt"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Any recommendations for companies who provide good camera insurance. Such
> as theft, and accidental damage? Cover will also need to cover travelling
> abroad occasionally.
>
> Cheers.

Camerasure - but it's bloody expensive!

Unless you need professional indemnity, get it under home insurance with
extra cover for expensive items outside.

Alan

news:cofivl$jek$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any recommendations for companies who provide good camera insurance. Such
> as theft, and accidental damage? Cover will also need to cover travelling
> abroad occasionally.
>
> Cheers.

I use Glover & Howe Insurance services for this:

01206 814502

Dave

teflon wrote:
> On 29/11/04 4:37 pm, in article cofivl$jek$(E-Mail Removed), "Matt"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Any recommendations for companies who provide good camera insurance. Such
>>as theft, and accidental damage? Cover will also need to cover travelling
>>abroad occasionally.
>>
>>Cheers.

> Camerasure - but it's bloody expensive!
>
> Unless you need professional indemnity, get it under home insurance with
> extra cover for expensive items outside.

I've recently (last few weeks) got burgled and lost a Nikon F3 and a
small compact camera. My house insurance covered them (new for old) and
when I checked the policy, I see they would have been covered outside
the house too.

I was rather fortunate in that the F3 was discontinued, so the nearest
replacment (according to Jessops who the insurers appointed to deal with
it) was an F6.

If you can, I'd be tempted to put the money away each month and ignore
insurance. Statistically they always win.

I was in Argos the other day and see that you can take out an extended
warranty on jewelry costing between 2.50 and 7.99 for the sum of 99
pence!!! I'm not sure who would want an extended warranty on something
costing less than 8 pounds, but Argos will do it for you! About 10 years
ago I bought a watch costing 14.95 from Argos, and was offered an
extended warranty on that too.

Insurance is generally a rip-off, but in some cases there is no option
but to have it. But do check your house insurance policy. Many companies
will try to sell you insurance that you already have with your house
contents insurance.

Mr Jessop

> Insurance is generally a rip-off, but in some cases there is no option
> but to have it. But do check your house insurance policy. Many companies
> will try to sell you insurance that you already have with your house
> contents insurance.

House contents charge an excess. I noticed this when customers brought in
insurance vouchers stating 500 but when scanned through the till it says
450. Read the samll print. 50 excess is common.

I did not approve of previous jessops sure. 3 years insurance was really
two as you got one free. This didn't mean you ended up with 4 years in
total. Some manufacturers such as olympus give 2 years as standard.

Anyway new legislation means jessops has changed its ways. If we offer to
extend the warranty of an olympus it is cheaper than canon as it is 2+1
years and not 1+2. Also the warranty is also accidental damage and wear and
tear. This is much better value than previous warranty only with a hefty
premium if you wanted accidental damage as well. I feel much more
comfortable trying to sell this type of warranty. (note trying, i still
haven't succeeded).

Finally we are getting price tickets with the specific extended warranty
price included. I believe this too is law.

Mr Jessop

"Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:41adf60d@212.67.96.135...
> teflon wrote:
>> On 29/11/04 4:37 pm, in article cofivl$jek$(E-Mail Removed), "Matt"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Any recommendations for companies who provide good camera insurance.
>>>Such
>>>as theft, and accidental damage? Cover will also need to cover
>>>travelling
>>>abroad occasionally.
>>>
>>>Cheers.

>> Camerasure - but it's bloody expensive!
>>
>> Unless you need professional indemnity, get it under home insurance with
>> extra cover for expensive items outside.
>>

> I've recently (last few weeks) got burgled and lost a Nikon F3 and a small
> compact camera. My house insurance covered them (new for old) and when I
> checked the policy, I see they would have been covered outside the house
> too.
>
> I was rather fortunate in that the F3 was discontinued, so the nearest
> replacment (according to Jessops who the insurers appointed to deal with
> it) was an F6.
>
> If you can, I'd be tempted to put the money away each month and ignore
> insurance. Statistically they always win.
>
> I was in Argos the other day and see that you can take out an extended
> warranty on jewelry costing between 2.50 and 7.99 for the sum of 99
> pence!!! I'm not sure who would want an extended warranty on something
> costing less than 8 pounds, but Argos will do it for you! About 10 years
> ago I bought a watch costing 14.95 from Argos, and was offered an
> extended warranty on that too.
>
> Insurance is generally a rip-off, but in some cases there is no option but
> to have it. But do check your house insurance policy. Many companies will
> try to sell you insurance that you already have with your house contents
> insurance.

oops forgot to mention that domestic and general underwrite jessops
policies. G+D also offer insurance independently of jessops.