Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Hard drive based cameras ever?

Hard drive based cameras ever?

TS

Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives
to ever be created?
I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio
Carbon or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera and a
40GB hard drive from a full sized iPod would work pretty well in a
camcorder.
Why are people opposed to it?

Marli

You can get a Micro drive already

"TS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives
> to ever be created?
> I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio
> Carbon or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera and a
> 40GB hard drive from a full sized iPod would work pretty well in a
> camcorder.
> Why are people opposed to it?

Bruce Murphy

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (TS) writes:

> Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives
> to ever be created?
> I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio
> Carbon or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera

Just like the 4gb microdrives?

> Why are people opposed to it?

Why are people sufficiently clueless that they suggest 'cool new
ideas' that have been in use for years?

Seymore

"TS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives
> to ever be created?
> I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio
> Carbon or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera and a
> 40GB hard drive from a full sized iPod would work pretty well in a
> camcorder.
> Why are people opposed to it?

Because hardrives are usually rated in "ms"... where non-volitle RAM is
rated in "ns". So, you really want to slow down the write times?

Seymore...
remove "REMOVE" to reply directly

Bruce Murphy

"Seymore" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "TS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives
> > to ever be created?
> > I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio
> > Carbon or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera and a
> > 40GB hard drive from a full sized iPod would work pretty well in a
> > camcorder.
> > Why are people opposed to it?

> Because hardrives are usually rated in "ms"... where non-volitle RAM is
> rated in "ns". So, you really want to slow down the write times?

Flash rated to write three orders of magnitude faster than a hard
drive? Really? Wow. When can I get some?

MarkČ

"TS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives
> to ever be created?
> I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio
> Carbon or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera and a
> 40GB hard drive from a full sized iPod would work pretty well in a
> camcorder.
> Why are people opposed to it?

Mircrodrives have been available for years.
I've been shooting with 1GB hard drives since 2001.
4GB drives have been available for some time.

Pepys

My old Kodak DCS410 has a 512mb hard drive in it. That is the only storage
medium I can use with the old clunker.

Sam

"TS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives
> to ever be created?
> I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio
> Carbon or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera and a
> 40GB hard drive from a full sized iPod would work pretty well in a
> camcorder.
> Why are people opposed to it?

Martin Francis

"TS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives
> to ever be created?
> I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio
> Carbon or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera and a
> 40GB hard drive from a full sized iPod would work pretty well in a
> camcorder.
> Why are people opposed to it?

Don't think they are- several new digital backs for medium format SLRs have
built in drives in addition to CF slots. IIRC, the new Mamiya and Hasselblad
DSLRs will have them too.

no, and yes...."

YAG-ART

You can already buy microdrives that fit where a CF card does.

On 27 Nov 2004 23:35:31 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (TS) wrote:

>Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives
>to ever be created?
>I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio
>Carbon or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera and a
>40GB hard drive from a full sized iPod would work pretty well in a
>camcorder.
>Why are people opposed to it?

Mike Brodbelt

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:35:31 -0800, TS wrote:

> Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives to
> ever be created?

Yes:-

http://www.jvc.com/presentations/everio/

> I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio Carbon
> or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera and a 40GB hard
> drive from a full sized iPod would work pretty well in a camcorder. Why
> are people opposed to it?

They're just slow getting there.

Mike.