Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > PictureMate prints light

PictureMate prints light

frankg

PS CS
WinXP

Although the prints (printed from Photoshop not a camera or card) are great,
they're consistently just a little too light - not sure if it's the shadows
or mid-tones but they lack a bit of depth - just a wee bit. The driver
settings are very limited so I cant tweak it there (I use enhanced details
although I'm not sure of what this actually does) . A custom made profile
for the ink/paper package is pretty costly to have made. Does anyone share
this experience and what has your solution been?

Ryadia

"frankg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:a9cqd.85957$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> PS CS
> WinXP
>
> Although the prints (printed from Photoshop not a camera or card) are

great,
> they're consistently just a little too light - not sure if it's the

shadows
> or mid-tones but they lack a bit of depth - just a wee bit. The driver
> settings are very limited so I cant tweak it there (I use enhanced details
> although I'm not sure of what this actually does) . A custom made profile
> for the ink/paper package is pretty costly to have made. Does anyone share
> this experience and what has your solution been?

Same findings here. I just upped the contrast in Photoshop and they're fine.

EarGuy

"frankg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:a9cqd.85957$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> PS CS
> WinXP
>
> Although the prints (printed from Photoshop not a camera or card) are

great,
> they're consistently just a little too light - not sure if it's the

shadows
> or mid-tones but they lack a bit of depth - just a wee bit...

I'm wondering if the problem lies in your monitor calibration, not the
printer. Make a few of your pictures in Photoshop, and burn to disc. View
them on several monitors, and see what they look like. Have them
professionally printed, making sure that the lab does not do any of their
own tweaking. Compare these prints to your prints.

If the lab pics look perfect, the problem is your printer. If the pictures
look washed out on other monitors, the problem is your monitor calibration.
But note: Most monitors are shipped out of calibration. They look better
for everyday applications, but they're not "true" for photo editing. I'l
be curous to hear what the outcome is.

Dave
earguy

frankg

I should have added to my original post that the monitor is calibrated
(using spyder/optical)