Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon EF-S Telephoto Zoom Lenses?

Canon EF-S Telephoto Zoom Lenses?

Matt

Anyone heard is Canon are going to release an EF-S telephoto zoom lens such
as a 75-300 IS?

Eric Gill

"Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:coa2ch$acg$(E-Mail Removed):

> Anyone heard is Canon are going to release an EF-S telephoto zoom lens
> such as a 75-300 IS?

I'm not sure why they would want to. Why do you ask?

Matt

The reason I ask, is because supposedly the EF-S lenses are designed
specifically for the digital sensor size of the 300D and 20D, and it seems
like this is the future for non-Pro Canon DSLR's.

They do a 10-22 EF-S lens, and a 17-85 EF-S lens, I just wondered if they
are planning on completing the range by making a 75-300 EF-S lens.

I was thinking of buying a 75-300IS lens, but will hold out if they are
planning to produce a EF-S version to keep it all matching as I don't use
the telephoto much in the Winter. (Sad I know, but I don't want to waste
money, and it is not very often I completely change my setup, so want to
make the right choice).

"Eric Gill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns95AE583968FDBericvgillyahoocom@63.223.5.25 4...
> "Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:coa2ch$acg$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Anyone heard is Canon are going to release an EF-S telephoto zoom lens
> > such as a 75-300 IS?

> I'm not sure why they would want to. Why do you ask?

Gisle Hannemyr

"Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> "Eric Gill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Anyone heard is Canon are going to release an EF-S telephoto zoom
>>> lens such as a 75-300 IS?

>> I'm not sure why they would want to. Why do you ask?

> The reason I ask, is because supposedly the EF-S lenses are designed
> specifically for the digital sensor size of the 300D and 20D, and it
> seems like this is the future for non-Pro Canon DSLR's.
>
> They do a 10-22 EF-S lens, and a 17-85 EF-S lens, I just wondered if
> they are planning on completing the range by making a 75-300 EF-S
> lens.

That is very unlikely. The reasom they make wide angles with a
smaller image circle is because it is much more difficult and
expensive to make lenses with very short focal lengths that covers
the full 35 mm film frame.

The same is not the case at the tele end. It is probably cheaper to
stick with a single design and manufacturing line and let that cover
both smaller and larger sensors.

Unless the film and "full frame" digital sensors disappears
completely, I doubt that we'll ever see "EF-S" lenses that
are not wide angle lenses.
When you say you live in the real world, which one are you referring to?

Michael A. Covington

news:coa481$nid$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The reason I ask, is because supposedly the EF-S lenses are designed
> specifically for the digital sensor size of the 300D and 20D, and it seems
> like this is the future for non-Pro Canon DSLR's.
>
> They do a 10-22 EF-S lens, and a 17-85 EF-S lens, I just wondered if they
> are planning on completing the range by making a 75-300 EF-S lens.

Less of an advantage with a longer lens. There's much less size and weight
to save. Also, when the lens already covers a narrow angle, you don't get
to simplify the design much by making it even narrower.

Phil Wheeler

Matt wrote:
> The reason I ask, is because supposedly the EF-S lenses are designed
> specifically for the digital sensor size of the 300D and 20D, and it seems
> like this is the future for non-Pro Canon DSLR's.
>
> They do a 10-22 EF-S lens, and a 17-85 EF-S lens, I just wondered if they
> are planning on completing the range by making a 75-300 EF-S lens.

I think the logic for it is not there:

o 10-22 EF-S gets the 20D/300D wider than any other available lens

o 17-85IS is the 1.6x version of their popular 28-135IS for film cameras

These both fill a performance niche. A 70-300IS EF-S (which would
really be a 45-190 or so based on doing a film equivalent 70-300) seems
unwarrented. LOTS of lenses covering such ranges.

Phil

Matt

I understand what you are saying, but just a petty correction:

You divided, not multiplied. The 75-300 digital equivalent would be
120-480. Easy mistake.

"Phil Wheeler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9C2qd.64096$(E-Mail Removed)...

> These both fill a performance niche. A 70-300IS EF-S (which would
> really be a 45-190 or so based on doing a film equivalent 70-300) seems
> unwarrented. LOTS of lenses covering such ranges.
>
> Phil

Phil Wheeler

Wrong conclusion:

I was computing the EF-S which would be equivalent to a 70-300 after a
1.6 multiplier ala the 17-85IS being equivalent to a 28-135IS for film

Matt wrote:
> I understand what you are saying, but just a petty correction:
>
> You divided, not multiplied. The 75-300 digital equivalent would be
> 120-480. Easy mistake.
>

> "Phil Wheeler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9C2qd.64096$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>These both fill a performance niche. A 70-300IS EF-S (which would
>>really be a 45-190 or so based on doing a film equivalent 70-300) seems
>>unwarrented. LOTS of lenses covering such ranges.
>>
>>Phil

MarkČ

news:coa2ch$acg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone heard is Canon are going to release an EF-S telephoto zoom lens

such
> as a 75-300 IS?

There is little-to-no reason for this, since telephoto is actually enhanced
by the crop-factor. It is only the wide angle that becomes a problem with
the smaller sensor size. Most users of long telephoto actually WELCOME the
crop factor when shooting long. I know I do.

Phil Wheeler

MarkČ wrote:

> "Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:coa2ch$acg$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Anyone heard is Canon are going to release an EF-S telephoto zoom lens

> such
>
>>as a 75-300 IS?

> There is little-to-no reason for this, since telephoto is actually enhanced
> by the crop-factor. It is only the wide angle that becomes a problem with
> the smaller sensor size. Most users of long telephoto actually WELCOME the
> crop factor when shooting long. I know I do.

Me, too -- particularly with Image Stabilzation

Phil