Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > xD memory cards? (newbie question)

xD memory cards? (newbie question)

Pattern-chaser

I plan to buy a Konica Minolta Dimage Z3 in the New Year, when the
post-Christmas prices have fallen. [Good plan, eh? ] About the only
thing I'm concerned about is that it used xD memory cards. These seem to
be twice the price of all the other types. Is there a cheaper
alternative I can use, CompactFlash, SecureDigital, etc?

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Harvey

"Pattern-chaser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I plan to buy a Konica Minolta Dimage Z3 in the New Year, when the
>post-Christmas prices have fallen. [Good plan, eh? ]

Assuming they do - at the moment here in the UK prices are the lowest
they've ever been - I'd be surprised if they drop much straight after
Christmas

> About the only thing I'm concerned about is that it used xD memory cards.
> These seem to be twice the price of all the other types. Is there a
> cheaper alternative I can use, CompactFlash, SecureDigital, etc?

Actually -according to
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/mi...ew/index.shtml
"The Z3 can use SD or MMC (MultiMediaCard) formats, though you'll want to
use the former due to its superior capacity and performance. The camera does
take advantage of high speed SD cards (you'll really notice the difference
when the camera saves a sequence of shots to the card) and one is
recommended for the high quality movie mode."

SD cards are too expensive - a lot cheaper than XD's that's for sure,
http://www.aria.co.uk/specials.asp?productid=15846 currently have a 1GB card
for £52.82 inc.

Harvey

[..]
> SD cards are too expensive - a lot cheaper than XD's that's for sure,
> http://www.aria.co.uk/specials.asp?productid=15846 currently have a 1GB
> card for £52.82 inc.

errr - make that "SD cards AREN'T too expensive...."

Pattern-chaser

Harvey wrote:
> [..]
>
>>SD cards are too expensive - a lot cheaper than XD's that's for sure,
>>http://www.aria.co.uk/specials.asp?productid=15846 currently have a 1GB
>>card for £52.82 inc.

> errr - make that "SD cards AREN'T too expensive...."

So SD and xD are the same thing? Thanks, Harvey.

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

JohnR

"Pattern-chaser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Harvey wrote:
> > [..]
> >
> >>SD cards are too expensive - a lot cheaper than XD's that's for sure,
> >>http://www.aria.co.uk/specials.asp?productid=15846 currently have a 1GB
> >>card for £52.82 inc.

> > errr - make that "SD cards AREN'T too expensive...."

> So SD and xD are the same thing? Thanks, Harvey.
>
> Pattern-chaser
>
> "Who cares, wins"

No, xD is a different animal. Prices seem to vary more with xD. Shop around.
John

Michael Meissner

Pattern-chaser <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I plan to buy a Konica Minolta Dimage Z3 in the New Year, when the
> post-Christmas prices have fallen. [Good plan, eh? ] About the only thing
> I'm concerned about is that it used xD memory cards. These seem to be twice the
> price of all the other types. Is there a cheaper alternative I can use,
> CompactFlash, SecureDigital, etc?

No, the Z3 uses SD cards which are widely available, and the price has been
falling recently. The Olympus C770UZ uses xD cards. Note, if this is your
first digital camera, you only need to buy enough cards to hold your images
until you get back to the computer. Ie, unless you think you will get snap
happy, you may only need one or two cards. If on the other hand, you think you
will take lots of pictures then you will need multiple cards or some other
storage device to copy cards to. I am in that second group, but not everybody
is.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Mike Jacoubowsky

>I plan to buy a Konica Minolta Dimage Z3 in the New Year, when the
>post-Christmas prices have fallen. [Good plan, eh? ] About the only
>thing I'm concerned about is that it used xD memory cards. These seem to be
>twice the price of all the other types. Is there a cheaper alternative I
>can use, CompactFlash, SecureDigital, etc?

If the camera actually takes XD cards, yes, they're substantially more
expensive than most others (and *way* more expensive than CF). I did manage
to find an Olympus XD 512meg for $89 at Fry's, thank goodness. And they had
a 1-day sale today for a 256meg for $35 after rebate. Prior to that, I was
seeing $125 for a 256meg card, yikes!

But if it takes SD (as another poster mentions), no worries. If you're not
concerned about write speed, SD cards are getting dirt cheap, down in the
range of CF (I'm seeing quite a few $35 prices, usually requiring rebates,
for 512meg cards). Even the "fast" ones are coming down to around $60 for a
512meg card. That's inexpensive enough that I wouldn't worry about it being
a deal-killer on a camera, especially if you're unlikely to ever need more
than two of them.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com