Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > on-line digicam-lens database

on-line digicam-lens database

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

Finally put the on-line database of digicam lenses is actually on line:

http://www.exc.com/Photography/Digicams.cgi

(It thus complements the on-line 35mm lens database at

http://www.exc.com/Photography/Lenses.cgi

)

So far, of course, there aren't many digicams in the database. If you
have a digicam, PLEASE take 60 seconds to add some information about
it to the database, so others can benefit from your experience.

Many thanks,

Joel

Adam R.

> Finally put the on-line database of digicam lenses is actually on line:
>
> http://www.exc.com/Photography/Digicams.cgi
>
> (It thus complements the on-line 35mm lens database at
>
> http://www.exc.com/Photography/Lenses.cgi

Other than your grammar ("finally put the ... is acutally on line"?) this is
great. Thanks!

Adam

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

>> Finally put the on-line database of digicam lenses is actually on line:
>Other than your grammar ("finally put the ... is acutally on line"?) this is
>great. Thanks!

Yeah, sorry. It was "I have finally put..." and I wanted to change it
to "the database is actually on line." I ended up with a combination
of both. Anyway, it's on-line, and I put it there....

Enjoy.

-Joel

Gardner

In article <R_Ipd.21$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) writes:

> Yeah, sorry. It was "I have finally put..." and I wanted to change it
> to "the database is actually on line." I ended up with a combination
> of both. Anyway, it's on-line, and I put it there....

Your entry screen doesn't let me say what the focal ratio of the
lens is. I have a Pentax 50mm lens. Where do I say that I am
thinking of the f/2, f/1.8, f/1.7, f/1.4 or f/1.2 version?
I think you should go through some other lens databases and consider
how someone might enter that data through your U/I.

Gardner Buchanan <(E-Mail Removed)>
Ottawa, ON FreeBSD: Where you want to go. Today.

Alan Browne

Adam R. wrote:

> Other than your grammar ("finally put the ... is acutally on line"?) this is
> great. Thanks!

Usenetiquette: don't bother pointing out grammar or spelling problems unless it
makes the intent of the message incomprehensible (or of course when it results
in some humorous interpretation).

-- [SI] gallery: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- [SI] rulz: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

>> [re http://www.exc.com/Photography ]
>
>Your entry screen doesn't let me say what the focal ratio of the
>lens is. I have a Pentax 50mm lens. Where do I say that I am
>thinking of the f/2, f/1.8, f/1.7, f/1.4 or f/1.2 version?
>I think you should go through some other lens databases and consider
>how someone might enter that data through your U/I.

Put it in additional information. (Many lenses come in only one FL,
so having that information isn't always necessary.) I'm purposely
trying to minimize the amount of time it takes to enter information.
There's no reason you can't enter information about a lens in 60
seconds the way I have it set up now.

-Joel

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

[re: http://www.exc.com/Photography ]

>Your entry screen doesn't let me say what the focal ratio of the
>lens is. I have a Pentax 50mm lens. Where do I say that I am
>thinking of the f/2, f/1.8, f/1.7, f/1.4 or f/1.2 version?
>I think you should go through some other lens databases and consider
>how someone might enter that data through your U/I.

As I said, the aperture can go in the "additional information" field,
which is where people have been putting it.

But on reconsideration, I've decided you're right. I've added a field
for widest aperture, and moved the aperature information from the
"model" field to the aperture field for the lenses already in the
database.

(BTW, does Pentax really make an f/1.7 lens?)

Thanks for the suggestion.

-Joel

Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography

Gardner

In article <R60sd.2$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) writes:

> (BTW, does Pentax really make an f/1.7 lens?)

Yes. This is the first google hit that comes to hand:

http://www.photographyreview.com/psc...1_3111crx.aspx

Gardner Buchanan <(E-Mail Removed)>
Ottawa, ON FreeBSD: Where you want to go. Today.

Gardner

In article <R60sd.2$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) writes:

> (BTW, does Pentax really make an f/1.7 lens?)

....and I missed the 50 f/2.8 macro.

Gardner Buchanan <(E-Mail Removed)>
Ottawa, ON FreeBSD: Where you want to go. Today.

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

Someone pointed out that the on-line database of digicams:

http://www.exc.com/Photography/Digicams.cgi

suffered from a bug whereby it only printed every second entry. I've
fixed the problem. While there still aren't all that many user
reports (please add one!), there are effectively twice as many today
as there were yesterday.