Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pentax Optio s5i or Kyocera SL400r

Pentax Optio s5i or Kyocera SL400r

Jackson

Hi all,

I'm switching over from the Canon S400 and am choosing between the
Pentax Optio S5i and the Kyocera SL400r.

Obviously the number one factor for me is size (and price, otherwise
the Sony T1 would be in the running).

Anyways, I'm looking for any opinions from owners and testers on these
two cameras. Also, if anyone could compare the macro and movie modes,
that would be greatly appreciated.

JAX

EF in FLA

> I'm switching over from the Canon S400 and am choosing between the
> Pentax Optio S5i and the Kyocera SL400r.

I have the S400 as well and when/if I upgrade it'll be to the Canon S70. A
tad bigger in size but great reviews on picture quality. Stick with Canon,
you won't be sorry.

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/can...70-review.html

ef

Fred McKenzie

<< I'm switching over from the Canon S400 and am choosing between the
Pentax Optio S5i and the Kyocera SL400r. >>

Jax-

I have the Optio S and Optio S4i. I expect the S5i will compare.

Although the cameras have more features than most of us need, the two I have
both suffer from what appears to be lens flare. If there happens to be a
bright spot in a scene, the overall effect is a kind of haze. It makes me
think there is an oil film on the surface of one of the internal lens elements.

I read reports of these cameras, which rated the lens as a deficiency. Since I
had taken several good, sharp pictures, I didn't understand why they would have
said that, until I noticed the effects of the flare.

Have you looked at the Canon S500? I would have chosen that instead of the S4i
if the combined shutter and focus delay hadn't been so long.

Fred

Jackson

Fred and EF - thanks for your help. Yeah, I really do love Canon -
amazing cameras and the greatest customer support. I dropped my S400
three times and they fixed her up every time. Canon's also one of
maybe 3 companies that haven't outsourced their customer support staff
to India either.

That said, I've gone with the Kyocera. Price was the dealmaker -
Amazon's selling the SL400r for $215 right now with free shipping!
I'll let you all know how it goes...

JAX