Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Chromatic Aberration

Chromatic Aberration

Roger

Folks,

I've been searching for, but haven't found a suitable chromatic
aberration filter to use with my Canon s60 images (plus others). I'm
currently using PaintShop Pro and the new release 9 includes such a
filter. However, my wife wants to switch back to Photoshop (we've had
several years experience with a version 5.0). We would likely select
Photoshop Elements 3.0.

Is there stand alone software available to do CA corrections. I know
there are some PhotoShop plugins, but many have caveats that they are
not compatible with Elements.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Roger

Robert Feinman

says...
> Folks,
>
> I've been searching for, but haven't found a suitable chromatic
> aberration filter to use with my Canon s60 images (plus others). I'm
> currently using PaintShop Pro and the new release 9 includes such a
> filter. However, my wife wants to switch back to Photoshop (we've had
> several years experience with a version 5.0). We would likely select
> Photoshop Elements 3.0.
>
> Is there stand alone software available to do CA corrections. I know
> there are some PhotoShop plugins, but many have caveats that they are
> not compatible with Elements.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Roger

Try the free plugin panotools. In addition to fixing CA it will also
do barrel or pincushion distortion. A web search will find a copy, plus
lots of info on how to use it.

--
Robert D Feinman
http://robertdfeinman.com

TAFKAB

"Roger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Folks,
>
> I've been searching for, but haven't found a suitable chromatic
> aberration filter to use with my Canon s60 images (plus others). I'm
> currently using PaintShop Pro and the new release 9 includes such a
> filter. However, my wife wants to switch back to Photoshop (we've had
> several years experience with a version 5.0). We would likely select
> Photoshop Elements 3.0.
>
> Is there stand alone software available to do CA corrections. I know
> there are some PhotoShop plugins, but many have caveats that they are
> not compatible with Elements.
>
> Suggestions?

If you're looking to solve purple fringing, Shay Stephens sells a very nice
action for $10.

http://www.shaystephens.com/ca-ps.asp

> Thanks,
> Roger

Bart van der Wolf

"Roger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
SNIP
> Is there stand alone software available to do CA corrections.

http://www.epaperpress.com/ptlens/index.html

Bart

Bill Perkins

Check this site for an excellent procedure that can be used in Photoshop or
Photoshop Elements. It works!

http://www.bytephoto.com/tutorials/c...berrations.php

Bill P

"Roger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Folks,
>
> I've been searching for, but haven't found a suitable chromatic
> aberration filter to use with my Canon s60 images (plus others). I'm
> currently using PaintShop Pro and the new release 9 includes such a
> filter. However, my wife wants to switch back to Photoshop (we've had
> several years experience with a version 5.0). We would likely select
> Photoshop Elements 3.0.
>
> Is there stand alone software available to do CA corrections. I know
> there are some PhotoShop plugins, but many have caveats that they are
> not compatible with Elements.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Roger

KBob

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:57:49 -0600, Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Folks,
>
>I've been searching for, but haven't found a suitable chromatic
>aberration filter to use with my Canon s60 images (plus others). I'm
>currently using PaintShop Pro and the new release 9 includes such a
>filter. However, my wife wants to switch back to Photoshop (we've had
>several years experience with a version 5.0). We would likely select
>Photoshop Elements 3.0.
>
>Is there stand alone software available to do CA corrections. I know
>there are some PhotoShop plugins, but many have caveats that they are
>not compatible with Elements.
>
>Suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>Roger

Since a lot of CA is created by light angles of incidence on the
sensor surface that exceed about 15 degrees, there's really no special
filter that deals with it directly. There are blurring filters
intended to correct mosaic artifacts, but that's about it. For CA
you're best off using the available postprocessing tools that allow
you to separately adjust R-G-B diameters--often these are found in
custom postprocessing programs from Kodak & Nikon that are used mostly
with RAW images.

Hans-Georg Michna

While we're at it, if chromatic aberration can be corrected by a
computer program, and I think it can, why then don't we have
digital cameras with cheaper lenses without any correction of
chromatic aberration, but with a program built in that does the
correction after taking the photo? Can't be that difficult,
since the lens is sharp for each color and the aberration of the
lens is precisely known.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

imbsysop

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:35:07 +0100, Hans-Georg Michna
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>While we're at it, if chromatic aberration can be corrected by a
>computer program, and I think it can, why then don't we have
>digital cameras with cheaper lenses without any correction of
>chromatic aberration, but with a program built in that does the
>correction after taking the photo? Can't be that difficult,
>since the lens is sharp for each color and the aberration of the
>lens is precisely known.

The result of lens CA is color spectrum dependent .. How is one
supposed to correct an artifact that is entirely dependent on the
various levels of colors presented in the picture aka dependent on the
picture taken ? build in an Artificial Intelligence in the camera that
makes a "best fit" evaluation ? What if it it fails ? ruined picture ?

Mike

"Hans-Georg Michna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> While we're at it, if chromatic aberration can be corrected by a
> computer program, and I think it can,

What a program can do is simply replace the red/purple/blue
CA with a neutral gray color. This is NOT correction, but an
attempt to hide the problem and make it less noticeable.

> why then don't we have
> digital cameras with cheaper lenses without any correction of
> chromatic aberration, but with a program built in that does the
> correction after taking the photo? Can't be that difficult,
> since the lens is sharp for each color and the aberration of the
> lens is precisely known.

Detail lost to CA cannot be magically recreated.

David J Taylor

Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
> While we're at it, if chromatic aberration can be corrected by a
> computer program, and I think it can, why then don't we have
> digital cameras with cheaper lenses without any correction of
> chromatic aberration, but with a program built in that does the
> correction after taking the photo? Can't be that difficult,
> since the lens is sharp for each color and the aberration of the
> lens is precisely known.
>
> Hans-Georg

... and barrel and pincushion distortion could be corrected in firmware,
too, given enough CPU power in the camera...

David