Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sigma 70-210 UC II f4-5.6

Sigma 70-210 UC II f4-5.6

Larry R Harrison Jr

I have a Digital Rebel and need a respectable telephoto zoom. One I have
been aiming for is the Sigma 70-300 APO Super Macro II, which I'm always
hearing great things about. Meanwhile, this other lens (in the subject line)
has popped up.

What are your guys's opinions on it, particularly optically-speaking?

LRH

Julian Tan

I had this lens on my Rebel2000 (film SLR) and was never particularly
taken to it.

It was good... but never really used it much. Plus, the AF on it
busted (my fault).

Cheers,
Jules
http://www.shuttertalk.com
Shuttertalk - Digital photography resources

David Hearn

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
> I have a Digital Rebel and need a respectable telephoto zoom. One I
> have been aiming for is the Sigma 70-300 APO Super Macro II, which
> I'm always hearing great things about. Meanwhile, this other lens (in
> the subject line) has popped up.
>
> What are your guys's opinions on it, particularly optically-speaking?

Looking at Sigma UK's website, I can't see a mention of a 70-210mm f4-5.6
lens. I can see an EX class 70-200 f2.8 (expensive). Based on this, I can
only assume that it is an old, out-of-production lens and you'll be buying
2nd hand. I've got the 70-300mm APO Super Macro II and I find it
excellent - never had a problem with either my EOS 300 or my EOS 300D. I
know that older lenses have had problems (ie. don't work) with the 300D and
may need to be re-chipped - which may only be an option on their current
line-up. Out of production lenses may not be able to be rechipped.

Unless the lens is very cheap and can be confirmed to be working on your
camera prior to purchasing, I would be cautious and steer towards the
70-300mm lens.

David

Larry R Harrison Jr

It was re-chipped for a Canon D30. They want $115 for it. Someone else is
selling a 70-300 APO Super Macro II for $140, but they're not returning my
messages.

"David Hearn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cnvhvr$i28$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
>> I have a Digital Rebel and need a respectable telephoto zoom. One I
>> have been aiming for is the Sigma 70-300 APO Super Macro II, which
>> I'm always hearing great things about. Meanwhile, this other lens (in
>> the subject line) has popped up.
>>
>> What are your guys's opinions on it, particularly optically-speaking?

> Looking at Sigma UK's website, I can't see a mention of a 70-210mm f4-5.6
> lens. I can see an EX class 70-200 f2.8 (expensive). Based on this, I
> can only assume that it is an old, out-of-production lens and you'll be
> buying 2nd hand. I've got the 70-300mm APO Super Macro II and I find it
> excellent - never had a problem with either my EOS 300 or my EOS 300D. I
> know that older lenses have had problems (ie. don't work) with the 300D
> and may need to be re-chipped - which may only be an option on their
> current line-up. Out of production lenses may not be able to be
> rechipped.
>
> Unless the lens is very cheap and can be confirmed to be working on your
> camera prior to purchasing, I would be cautious and steer towards the
> 70-300mm lens.
>
> David

Mark B.

"Larry R Harrison Jr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Digital Rebel and need a respectable telephoto zoom. One I have
>been aiming for is the Sigma 70-300 APO Super Macro II, which I'm always
>hearing great things about. Meanwhile, this other lens (in the subject
>line) has popped up.
>
> What are your guys's opinions on it, particularly optically-speaking?
>
> LRH

Forget that lens and consider the 70-200 f/2.8 EX instead. The optics are
teriffic, construction is also. I've not had a problem with mine; I started
using it with a Canon A2 about 10 years ago, and now with a 10D.

Mark

David Hearn

Mark B. wrote:
> "Larry R Harrison Jr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a Digital Rebel and need a respectable telephoto zoom. One I
>> have been aiming for is the Sigma 70-300 APO Super Macro II, which
>> I'm always hearing great things about. Meanwhile, this other lens
>> (in the subject line) has popped up.
>>
>> What are your guys's opinions on it, particularly optically-speaking?
>>
>> LRH
>>

> Forget that lens and consider the 70-200 f/2.8 EX instead. The
> optics are teriffic, construction is also. I've not had a problem
> with mine; I started using it with a Canon A2 about 10 years ago, and
> now with a 10D.
> Mark

Hmm, ignore a lens which costs 160 GBP (220 RRP) and instead recommend a
lens costing nearly 4x that cost at 580 (800 RRP)??!?

No doubt it is an excellent lens - but for some (possibly most) people that
is an obscene amount of money to spend on a lens. And before people say
"what's the point in spending X00 on a body and then put cheap glass on" -
I'm sure many people, including myself, bought the 300D/Digital Rebel
because they enjoy using an SLR for the versatility and image qualty but
wanted a digital version. Not everyone has cash to burn, or makes money
from their images to support their hobby/business. If you sell your prints,
then maybe its worth it - but for me and probably many others - its just not
worth it.

David

Digital Delta-Sigma DAC Davy VHDL 10 04-14-2007 09:16 PM
Sigma or OEM Sigma as Quantaray Mikevt1 Digital Photography 4 10-17-2006 10:04 AM
Sigma 18-125/3,5-5,6 and Sigma 70-300 APO Super Macro IIusers friglob Digital Photography 3 02-06-2006 08:12 PM
Sigma 24-60 DG compare with sigma 24-70 DG rolento Digital Photography 1 11-13-2004 02:40 AM
6th sigma? glunk Java 0 07-14-2004 03:32 PM

Advertisments