Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > HP printer

HP printer

kashe@sonic.net

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:09:41 -0500, "Marvin Margoshes"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have only
>> an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the black for
>> "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart one....
>>
>> In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
>> equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
>> cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
>> prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
>>
>> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
>> that but re the real photo printers.
>>
>> --
>> John McWilliams

>In my experience with HP printers, the "out of ink" warning doesn't mean
>"completely". I use the warning to keep a new cartridge handy, for when I
>really need it.

Let's admit it -- refusing to print after a specific date is
raw marketing BS and nothing more.

If I pick up a number of cartridges at a good price, I
shouldn't be penalized for HP's benefit because I don't use them
immediately. The only justifiable action is, if they can detect the
date and refuse to print, they can as easily pop a dialog box letting
me know the date has been reached. It should be my option to continue
with the print and evaluate the results for myself. If the print is
flawed, I can replace the cartridge. If not, I should be allowed to
run the cartridge dry.

kashe@sonic.net

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:51:08 +0200, Timo Autiokari
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Are these HP carts subject to date expiry?

>Mot probably yes.
>
>I fell to this HP deadfall completely. I bought the HP Officejet
>d155xi network device (all in one type, it was well over 1000 euros)
>about two years ago and honestly this is the most evil-minded product
>marketing technique I have never seen.

There's one more evil-minded -- the Lexmark products. When a
third party managed to clone their chip to allow refilling their toner
cartridges, they used some cheap-ass form of encryption on the chip.
This allowed Lexmark to go to court and use the DMCA as a hammer to
prevent the third party vendor from using the chips to allow refills.

>The ink cartridges have an IC chip, the sole purpose of that chip is
>to expire the cartridge at some preset date set by HP. There is no way
>around this bitchiness, even if the cartridge is full of ink the
>printer does not accept it. Also the printer will not print in B/W
>mode if only the 3color cartridge is out dated by its chip. And it
>will not print in color in case only the black cartridge is out dated
>by its chip.
>
>As if that would not be enough to assure steady demand of ink
>cartridges the nozzles (4 of them) need to be changed often, they are
>equally expensive as the ink cartridges. Either they dry very easily
>or they have their own expiration chip.
>
>So, be warned, HP is a deeply deceitful company.
>
>I will never ever buy any HP product.
>
>Timo Autiokari

kashe@sonic.net

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:26:20 -0500, "Greg Evans"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Timo Autiokari wrote:
>
>> So, be warned, HP is a deeply deceitful company.
>> I will never ever buy any HP product.

>To be fair, I have dealt with many very fine HP laser printers over
>the past few years in my career as IT support staff. They have all
>been reasonably priced, well-made, and performed like tireless
>workhorses with very few problems.

Engineering is not the issue here -- it's marketing practices
which deprive the user/owner of reasonable use of their purchase.

>I think your experiences aren't necessarily entirely the fault of HP
>(though I agree that IC-chip business is bad), rather they are due to
>the inherent nature of inkjet printers in general. As I understand
>it, the printer itself is a "loss-leader" item; all the profit is in
>the consumables.

Let's not forget the practice of supplying inkjet printers
with "minimal fill" cartridges so that your first purchase of a full
tank comes after the original runs dry after a few pages. This would
be the equivalent of supplying a typewriter with an original
eighteen-inch ribbon or a laser printer with two ounces of toner.

> Just about every inkjet printer from every company
>is a resource hog. A quick Google for "inkjet printer cost per page
>comparison" provided, among others, this web page of comparison
>charts: http://www.testlab.rmit.edu.au/graphs.php Briefly, the
>majority of inkjet printers in this test group had a cost-per-page of
>between $0.20 and $0.40US - for only up to 20% page coverage! Quite a
>few were even higher. You can imagine how much a full-page color
>photo print would cost. Also, I don't know if that analysis included
>the cost of good photo-grade paper....
>
>When I went digital, I decided quickly not to spend money on a
>photo-printer; it seemed much more economical to have my images
>printed at a lab. Perhaps if I were a professional photographer, it
>would pay to spend the money on a high-end photo printer. ut until
>then, I'd rather let someone else handle my printing needs.
>
>Greg Evans

Frank ess

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:09:41 -0500, "Marvin Margoshes"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> "John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now
>>> have only an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which
>>> replaces the black for "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out
>>> of a four cart one....
>>>
>>> In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of
>>> ink. equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a
>>> previous cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels,
>>> although it prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
>>>
>>> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read
>>> about that but re the real photo printers.
>>>
>>> --
>>> John McWilliams

>> In my experience with HP printers, the "out of ink" warning doesn't
>> mean "completely". I use the warning to keep a new cartridge handy,
>> for when I really need it.
>>

> Let's admit it -- refusing to print after a specific date is
> raw marketing BS and nothing more.
>
> If I pick up a number of cartridges at a good price, I
> shouldn't be penalized for HP's benefit because I don't use them
> immediately. The only justifiable action is, if they can detect the
> date and refuse to print, they can as easily pop a dialog box letting
> me know the date has been reached. It should be my option to continue
> with the print and evaluate the results for myself. If the print is
> flawed, I can replace the cartridge. If not, I should be allowed to
> run the cartridge dry.

Seems to me I have seen groups where hacks were mentioned with regard to
resetting incapacitators in some Epson cartridges. If Epson or HP can
put something in there, someone can whip it around to his own uses.
Count on it.

--
Frank ess

Jer

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Let's admit it -- refusing to print after a specific date is
> raw marketing BS and nothing more.
>
> If I pick up a number of cartridges at a good price, I
> shouldn't be penalized for HP's benefit because I don't use them
> immediately. The only justifiable action is, if they can detect the
> date and refuse to print, they can as easily pop a dialog box letting
> me know the date has been reached. It should be my option to continue
> with the print and evaluate the results for myself. If the print is
> flawed, I can replace the cartridge. If not, I should be allowed to
> run the cartridge dry.

I'm with you here! If I want to pretend to print with ALL my ink
cartridges dry as a bone, it should be my option, nobody elses.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

chasm@TEXAS.net

Timo Autiokari wrote:

>As if that would not be enough to assure steady demand of ink
>cartridges the nozzles (4 of them) need to be changed often, they are
>equally expensive as the ink cartridges. Either they dry very easily
>or they have their own expiration chip.

this is the reason for my wanting a color laser printer. not a very expensive
one but one which will allow me to show an approx of a photo to a family member
or ?? other. for actual quality prints, take it to a print store in town and
let them print them off.

I HATE ink jets with a passion. and I must have 4 of them.

fwiw
chas

TIM

Jer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<co0q7d$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> > Let's admit it -- refusing to print after a specific date is
> > raw marketing BS and nothing more.
> >
> > If I pick up a number of cartridges at a good price, I
> > shouldn't be penalized for HP's benefit because I don't use them
> > immediately. The only justifiable action is, if they can detect the
> > date and refuse to print, they can as easily pop a dialog box letting
> > me know the date has been reached. It should be my option to continue
> > with the print and evaluate the results for myself. If the print is
> > flawed, I can replace the cartridge. If not, I should be allowed to
> > run the cartridge dry.
> >

> I'm with you here! If I want to pretend to print with ALL my ink
> cartridges dry as a bone, it should be my option, nobody elses.

What HELL-PACKED Does Not What is For you to Refill your own ink that
is why you are having this problem in other words The printer Thinks
That The Ink Cartridge Has been refilled and will refuse to print I
know this because I own a HP Photo-smart model 145 and I refill the
ink when it gets low whay i Had to do was re-install the printer
drivers each time i refilled the cartridge.

Alex Chiang

* (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> "Marvin Margoshes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >In my experience with HP printers, the "out of ink" warning doesn't
> >mean "completely". I use the warning to keep a new cartridge handy,
> >for when I really need it.
> >

> Let's admit it -- refusing to print after a specific date is raw
> marketing BS and nothing more.

First off, that's a non sequiter. Marvin is talking about "out of ink"
warning, not expiration date. Regardless, expiration date is not "raw
marketing BS".

After the expiration date, the ink goes "bad". Attempting to print with
it will clog the heads on the printer, ruining it, and causing you to buy
a new printer. Thus, HP prevents you from destroying your printer at the
cost of irritating customers who don't understand why they can't use
their expired pens.

(you wouldn't drink expired milk (let's say a month expired) would you?)

The best remedy for this problem is to purchase a new pen when you need
it. Annoying that you can't stock up for convenience, or if there's a
sale, but you can't do the same with milk either.

/Alex

Alan Browne

TIM wrote:

> ink when it gets low whay i Had to do was re-install the printer
> drivers each time i refilled the cartridge.

This subject is OT for the rec.photo.digital.slr-systems NG per the charter.
http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsyscharter.htm

Please take these questions to news:comp.periphs.printers or keep posting
limited to rec.photo.digital .

Cheers,
Alan.

-- [SI gallery]: http://www.pbase.com/shootin