Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > HP printer

HP printer

John McWilliams

Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have
only an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the
black for "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart
one....

In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.

Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
that but re the real photo printers.

--
John McWilliams

Charles Eaves

I see on the back of the HP ink cartridges with the Vivendi inks "Nov
2005".
So, Hp cartridges must have a limited shelf life.

"John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have
> only an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the
> black for "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart
> one....
>
> In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
> equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
> cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
> prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
>
> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
> that but re the real photo printers.
>
> --
> John McWilliams

wayne

a photo printer depends on what you want to do with it. I myself would just
go to local place and print there cost is the same or less and quality is
better if the picture is too dark or light they will redo for free and the
prints can get wet and not run. Inkjet unless you have special coating or
ink will run if they get wet

Wayne

"John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have only
> an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the black for
> "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart one....
>
> In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
> equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
> cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
> prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
>
> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
> that but re the real photo printers.
>
> --
> John McWilliams

John McWilliams

Charles Eaves wrote:
> I see on the back of the HP ink cartridges with the Vivendi inks "Nov
> 2005".
> So, Hp cartridges must have a limited shelf life.

<< Snipped bits out >>

>>Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
>>that but re the real photo printers.

I understood that some of the higher end HPs had sensors that read a
date off the cart, and wouldn't let it print past the date, whether the
tanks were full or not. Kinda sucks for people who don't print much.

My question was if the 5550 might have a lesser version of same, just
gives a zero ink left reading.....

--
John McWilliams

John McWilliams

wayne wrote:

> a photo printer depends on what you want to do with it. I myself would just
> go to local place and print there cost is the same or less and quality is
> better if the picture is too dark or light they will redo for free and the
> prints can get wet and not run. Inkjet unless you have special coating or
> ink will run if they get wet

I'm not talking about 4x6, or even 5x7s. My local places also don't know
beans about printer profiles, but rely on human intervention. Good for
many, not what I want.

--
John McWilliams

Jerry G.

You have a very valid point there. I myself use a descent colour printer
when I need a print right away for some type of demonstration, or display. I
go to a professional photo print place, when I need a print for a permanent
application. I also found that printing photos myself is much more
expensive, and are not as good as when done on an elaborate commercial
printing system.

--

Jerry G.
======

"wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>a photo printer depends on what you want to do with it. I myself would
>just go to local place and print there cost is the same or less and quality
>is better if the picture is too dark or light they will redo for free and
>the prints can get wet and not run. Inkjet unless you have special coating
>or ink will run if they get wet
>
> Wayne
>
> "John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have
>> only an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the
>> black for "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart
>> one....
>>
>> In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
>> equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
>> cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
>> prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
>>
>> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
>> that but re the real photo printers.
>>
>> --
>> John McWilliams

Larry

says...
> >> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
> >> that but re the real photo printers.
> >>
> >> --
> >> John McWilliams

ALL new HP Cartridges have a date built into them.
SOME of the printers will refuse to print after that date (mostly the newer
PhotoSmarts will stop)

I have an old HP 952C which ignores the dates on its carts. A newer model (I
dont remember the model #) that uses the same carts will stop on the cutoff
date.

I dont think there have been any more new HP printers that use the same carts
as the 952C.

The HP PHOTOSMARTS 7350, and up all stop on expiration dates, but the carts
are so tiny, if you print a few pictures a month you'll use 'em up before
they expire.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Marvin Margoshes

"John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have only
> an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the black for
> "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart one....
>
> In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
> equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
> cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
> prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
>
> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
> that but re the real photo printers.
>
> --
> John McWilliams

In my experience with HP printers, the "out of ink" warning doesn't mean
"completely". I use the warning to keep a new cartridge handy, for when I
really need it.

Timo Autiokari

John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Are these HP carts subject to date expiry?

Mot probably yes.

I fell to this HP deadfall completely. I bought the HP Officejet
d155xi network device (all in one type, it was well over 1000 euros)
about two years ago and honestly this is the most evil-minded product
marketing technique I have never seen.

The ink cartridges have an IC chip, the sole purpose of that chip is
to expire the cartridge at some preset date set by HP. There is no way
around this bitchiness, even if the cartridge is full of ink the
printer does not accept it. Also the printer will not print in B/W
mode if only the 3color cartridge is out dated by its chip. And it
will not print in color in case only the black cartridge is out dated
by its chip.

As if that would not be enough to assure steady demand of ink
cartridges the nozzles (4 of them) need to be changed often, they are
equally expensive as the ink cartridges. Either they dry very easily
or they have their own expiration chip.

So, be warned, HP is a deeply deceitful company.

I will never ever buy any HP product.

Timo Autiokari

Greg Evans

Timo Autiokari wrote:

> So, be warned, HP is a deeply deceitful company.
> I will never ever buy any HP product.

To be fair, I have dealt with many very fine HP laser printers over
the past few years in my career as IT support staff. They have all
been reasonably priced, well-made, and performed like tireless
workhorses with very few problems.

I think your experiences aren't necessarily entirely the fault of HP
(though I agree that IC-chip business is bad), rather they are due to
the inherent nature of inkjet printers in general. As I understand
it, the printer itself is a "loss-leader" item; all the profit is in
the consumables. Just about every inkjet printer from every company
is a resource hog. A quick Google for "inkjet printer cost per page
comparison" provided, among others, this web page of comparison
charts: http://www.testlab.rmit.edu.au/graphs.php Briefly, the
majority of inkjet printers in this test group had a cost-per-page of
between $0.20 and $0.40US - for only up to 20% page coverage! Quite a
few were even higher. You can imagine how much a full-page color
photo print would cost. Also, I don't know if that analysis included
the cost of good photo-grade paper....

When I went digital, I decided quickly not to spend money on a
photo-printer; it seemed much more economical to have my images
printed at a lab. Perhaps if I were a professional photographer, it
would pay to spend the money on a high-end photo printer. ut until
then, I'd rather let someone else handle my printing needs.

Greg Evans